• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Gunflint Trail

Reaction score
I just put up my avatar (I'm new to the forum), the sign at the beginning of the Gunflint Trail in Grand Marais, Minnesota.
For great canoe destinations, I'm gonna say - The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Minnesota.

One of my most favorite areas, lots of lakes & portages to each, with a wide variety of fish species to fry up at night. Also a nice little town, Grand Marias has every thing that you need and then some. Home to the North House Folk School, if you need to know how to make something they can teach you, from building boats to making a woven birch bark knife sheaths. My favorite store is there too, The Beaver House has just about every thing you need to catch dinner. Across the street is another spot I always stop at, it is the World's Best Donuts, I personally don't think they are the world's best, but they are pretty good. I always thought that when I got old I would retire and move to Grand Marais. I haven't made the move yet, but I still think about it.

You'll miss (at least) half the fun of living on the Gunflint if you leave for the winter! The Gunflint trail is a great community.

Quinn

I spent some time in the Air Force in Texas, I didn't leave anything there and see no reason ever to return. I'd rather freeze to death in the Superior National Forest than die of heat stroke in Texas. My favorite memory of Texas is having to pull KP on Christmas Day, It was 89 degrees Fahrenheit, that is 31.6667 Celsius. I was way in the back of the Chow Hall scrubbing big pots & pans on my first Christmas away from home.

Sooo, if those aren't the best donuts, where might they be? I had a couple last year and was extremely happy. I wouldn't mind doing a little research on that.

Those are not the world's best, nothing wrong with them, I buy a half dozenl of them every time I'm in Grand Marais. The best donuts I ever had were those made by the wife of writer Sigrud F. Olson. I took a class in college called Significant American Nature Writers, one of the books we read was The Singing Wilderness, the class loved it so much that Dr. Philip R.Saurer (a long time friend of Sig's) took us on a field trip to visti the master word smith, one snowy Sat. in November. As we sat at the feet of my favorite nature writer of all time, his lovely wife Elizabeth served coffee and her wonderful homemade donuts. A few years later I again visited Sig & Elizabeth to get a few more books autographed., Sig remembered the class visiting but, not any particular students. His wife however remembered me, she said, "You were the one that really liked my donuts, aren't you". I visited the Olson's many times, loved every minute I spent in their company. They encouraged me to give life in Alaska a try as they both loved visiting their son up here. On my Honeymoon I took my bride to meet them. Reading and then meeting Sig changed my life in many ways for the better, I will always be grateful for that.

That sounds really wonderful. I'm taking a guess I can't get one of her donuts,though. I do like his writing. That's a great memory. Where, by the way, are you in the interior? I've paddled the Porcupine to Fort Yukon, so I've been in a teeny bit. I remember Abby writing about standing on the edge of the Kongakut. To his right, the nearest town was Maminsk. But to his left, the nearest town was Maminsk. He made his point.

My dream is to retire on the Gunflint. Literally my favorite spot in America.

Yeah I have discussed that with wife my as well. She then reminds me that she does not like cold weather and that I would not be able to afford living up there by myself after our divorce.

Mike

Mike........
Give it a whirl. After the divorce, you could live off the land. Lakes in that area have wild rice & fish. Fall time ducks, geese and the odd grouse now and then, road killed deer year round. During the winter you can sign on with one of those gypo pulp cutter outfits that call themselves logging company's, I hear they pay cash, under the table, so no taxes. Let us know how that works out for you, via this forum. Oh I forgot she also has the Internet plan in her name. Worst comes to Worster you can always go back to Ohio and see if she missed you, take you back. :eek: Me, I'm just trying to outlive my first wife, then I'll be free to do all kinds of wild & crazy things, maybe even start that money maker Chinchilla Ranch I have always dreamed of.
.......Birchy

Back