• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Guided canoe trips in Adirondacks?

Reaction score
Hi All. I’ve never been on a multi day canoe trip but am interested in doing so. Anyone have a recommendation for a guided 3-4day trip in the Adirondack? I have no gear and suppose a guided trip can provide gear and instruction and accelerate the learning curve. Thanks

You don't really need a guide. The primary routes, once you decide upon one, are easy to follow.

Dave Cilley's St. Regis Canoe Outfitters has been operating in the Adirondacks since 1984, and he can provide route planning, complete outfitting and even food. He also has published "the" Adirondack paddling guidebook and paddling map. Maybe he offers guiding, or knows of guides, for an additional fee.

I think some good options have already been posted, so I have nothing to add but - good on you for getting out there and figuring it out! Have fun, be safe.

Just an update, Dave and I go back to the mid ‘70’s and my daughter told me he sold Saint Regis Canoe Outfitters early this summer. The in town location is under new management now but he will be running the Floodwood outpost selling odds and ends and easily forgotten items. At least that is my understanding.
Other than that all good information so far.
Jim

Dave and I go back to the mid ‘70’s and my daughter told me he sold Saint Regis Canoe Outfitters early this summer.

Yes, the website indicates two new owners. Also, the following page of the website describes overnight guided trips:

Adarondack trail and lake outfitters. Nice, friendly, and knowledgeable. Or buy a map and follow it. Blue mtn lake to forked lake is a good start. Food and hotel on raquette lake, half way through.

i haven't seen Dave Cilley in a while, but he and I go back to when he was part of the beginning of the BSA voyageur guide trek leader training program, around 1979. I was an instructor in that for 30 years and occasionally ran into Dave in the area.

Same scenario with Brian McDonnell at Macscanoe.

Last edited:
Adarondack trail and lake outfitters. Nice, friendly, and knowledgeable. Or buy a map and follow it. Blue mtn lake to forked lake is a good start. Food and hotel on raquette lake, half way through.
These guys are great. I went in there one day this summer and bought a paddle, and ended up talking to the guys working for something like an hour. Two weeks later, I got stuck between a no-water Saranac River and the wildfire smoke billowing down from Canada. Pulled my boat from Union Falls dam down the dirt road carry and along Route 3 almost to Redford before I decided to bail and regroup; one of their guys drove up on his day off, picked me up, and got me back to my truck. Just way, way above and beyond what I've dealt with in any other outfitter's shop.

Thanks for the replies folks - getting the paddlers guide book and will talk to folks depending on where I'd like to go.

Back