• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Greetings from Tampa...

G

My name is Brian and I live in Tampa, Florida. I'm so glad to have found this forum. It was refreshing to see how friendly everyone is here. Politeness seems to be very rare indeed on these type forums.
I have 3 boats currently; two canoes (a Bell Morning Star and a Bell Wildfire) and a reproduction of an 1860's rowboat that I built. A canoe fanatic since my teens, I turned into a long distance hiker (no longer hiking due to physical disability from Lyme Disease) and have returned to canoeing to get me back out into the woods and wilds. I paddle fresh water for the most part and enjoy multiple night trips. I am very fortunate to live in an area centrally located and near many nice swamps, rivers, and lake chains. My dream is to one day trip one of the remote rivers of Canada and to lake hop through the Adirondack area. Right now I am busy with a small ministry that serves at historical reenactments and trying to organize a business which involves leading traditional period correct boat trips with overnight camping as an option.

I hope to gleam some wisdom from you all and maybe even pass some along. I look forward to getting to know you all through posting here and possibly meeting some of you in person one day. Thanks for providing such a great place for us all to gather here in cyberspace.

Welcome Brian. The paddling you do sounds fascinating. I'd love to see your 1860's rowboat. I've never built anything like a it, but do love to see/read of these projects. I've only lately been pondering a trip to Florida destinations, so another Fl paddler like you sure adds to this mix.

Welcome Drift Wood! Being retired , I get to run away and paddle the Everglades and Florida rivers in January and again in March (around the Florida Canoe Symposium in March in Yulee). I would love to hear about camping using traditional equipment Florida Style. I find the Calusa history interesting and am reading a book now about Totch Brown. The cover is interesting..he is poling what looks like a big washtub.

Welcome Drift Wood, I too am interested in your traditional ways, looking forward to hearing about them.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm only " traditional " when I use the rowboat. My canoes are Royalex. They have been scratched and gouged so much that I fear the only type of traditional canoe that could survive with me at the helm would be a dugout. Submerged Tree limbs and cypress knees are very unforgiving; even in a Tupperware boat!

Back