• Happy Publication of E=mc² (1905)! 🍄☁️

Greetings from Michigan

G

I spend a lot of the time I have for fun fishing sections of the AuSable River, fly rod in hand, in search of browns and brookies. I have had an Old Town Camper for several years but it's a bit of a PITA to lug that much boat around, especially since I am fishing solo. I would like to find a nice, reasonably light, stable solo boat to use while being appealing to the eye. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers,

FM

Reaction score
I have a Bobs Special in wood canvas and I like it's stability for fishing, it's built light so it's not such a bear to carry. They now make Bobs in all sorts of materials and I know some folks here have them, and they seem to like them.
Welcome to the site.

G

Robin,

I assume you are referring to a Chestnut "Bob's Special". I would love to own a wood/canvas canoe but they are generally a bit of a stretch for me, financially, at this point.

Thank you,

JDG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello FM. I have a Camper too and bought a smaller recreational canoe to make things a bit easier solo. Hope to hear more of paddling in MI and make it up there too.

Reaction score
You can buy older w/c canoes and fix them up fairly inexpensively if you have the time. It is a very rewarding past time.

G

I would not be opposed to fixing one up so long as the repairs needed were relatively minor (easy). I don' t feel comfortable re-canvasing but I would not be too afraid of re-finishing.

Reaction score
Re-canvassing is intimidating at first, but I had to do it and have done it 3 times now, it gets easier. Buy a book, haunt the WCHA site, learn as you go, which is what I have done.

G

I don't plan to actually fish out of the canoe. I will use it to travel from hole to hole on the rivers. A small tandem is definitely an option. What I want is a small comfortable, stable craft that is easy to transport by myself. Remember, I have an Old Town Camper so a solo gives me a little more versatility (and is considerably more pleasing to the eye).