• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Good lakes in Maine for canoe camping?

I want somewhere I can go paddle, fish and camp and be in relative solitude if that exists anymore haha. Primitive campsites off the beaten path will work, heck I don’t mind camping anywhere as long as it’s allowed and I’m not on private property by mistake….
you dont have that gazetter yet I take it. You are east of me so just east of Bangor is the Junior Lake area the Machias Ponds and this Only about 45 min from you

Thanks Bill, you are right about the weight but it is perfect for what I plan to use it for. I’m already on the hunt for something lighter to use on longer trips (under $1k preferably). I’ll look for the north forest trail too.

I got my Atlas yesterday, and was checking out Mooselookguntoc (spelling?) and it looks like there are many primitive campsites. I may try something a little closer to home my first time out though.

The Penobscot River from Medway down to Bangor has quite a few campsites, easy flatwater and some great sm bass fishing. There are portages around the dams and there is a nice section between dams to avoid any portage.
Maps, shuttle info etc here,

Looks nice. I'll have to remember that one.

Thanks Bill, you are right about the weight but it is perfect for what I plan to use it for. I’m already on the hunt for something lighter to use on longer trips (under $1k preferably). I’ll look for the north forest trail too.

I got my Atlas yesterday, and was checking out Mooselookguntoc (spelling?) and it looks like there are many primitive campsites. I may try something a little closer to home my first time out though.
Say it fast three times!
Good try!
Mooselookmeguntic

I'm late on this and it's pretty well covered, but just one note on nomenclature, a lot of the nice places to "just go" canoe camp in Maine are Public Reserved Lands -- owned by the state but not managed/developed/staffed as intensively like State Parks. Good examples that have mostly been mentioned are Donnell Pond, Seboeis Lake, Rocky Lake, Nahmakanta, etc. These are well marked in the Maine Atlas, and they usually have a lot of campsites where you don't need a campfire permit (solid triangle in the Atlas).

I think I remember Nahmakanta fro the AT. If so I’ll check that out too since it isnt too far from home. So many good options it seems like! I won’t get bored going to the same place twice thats for sure!

I think I spelled it pretty good off the top of my head! 😂

I'm late on this and it's pretty well covered, but just one note on nomenclature, a lot of the nice places to "just go" canoe camp in Maine are Public Reserved Lands -- owned by the state but not managed/developed/staffed as intensively like State Parks. Good examples that have mostly been mentioned are Donnell Pond, Seboeis Lake, Rocky Lake, Nahmakanta, etc. These are well marked in the Maine Atlas, and they usually have a lot of campsites where you don't need a campfire permit (solid triangle in the Atlas).
I like your Labrador Trail quote. I have to read it!

I recommend eastern Maine - lots of interconnected lakes

Eastern Maine has some great opportunities, even when the wind blows on the big lakes there are many smaller sheltered paddling locations to explore and camp.
The 3 books/maps mentioned above will be a big help in finding them.
I found the Pleasant River trip outlined in the AMC River Guide, at the time, a seldom paddled 2-night trip.upperPleasant2_640x480_zps3ba088c9.jpgriver at 1sr camp-pr2.jpg2nd day campsite #2.jpg
canoeonbeaverdampr2_640x480_zps216c6bfd (1).jpg

Eastern Maine has some great opportunities, even when the wind blows on the big lakes there are many smaller sheltered paddling locations to explore and camp.
I found the Pleasant River trip outlined in the AMC River Guide, at the time, a seldom paddled 2-night trip.View attachment 136469View attachment 136470View attachment 136471
View attachment 136468
I paddled Pleasant River out of Pleasant River Lake 20 years ago. I was a bit young and foolish then. The upper section was tough. I remember branches blocking our passage. We swamped at a sharp turn in the river. But I loved how the river later wandered its way through the heath. Lots of fun!

I found the Pleasant River trip outlined in the AMC River Guide, at the time, a seldom paddled 2-night trip.View attachment 136469View attachment 136470View attachment 136471
View attachment 136468
Looks awesome and in my neck of the woods! Any portages? Something I could handle with a 58lb canoe plus gear? I’ll look into this for sure when I get my books.

I also happened to have 2 of my Thule canoe carrier pieces run over so I am waiting for replacements. Been over a week and they still havent shipped them. Does anyone have a better option then the Thule Portage kit for carrying a canoe?

The only reason I have the kit, I was on the Ford website trying to buy roof racks that fit my car and the description and pictures said and showed “Thule canoe rack” so I thought it came with the crossbars and everything😂. The kit seemed really nice and it does make for easy, solid mounting so I don’t have to worry about it coming loose. I just kept the kit and ordered Thule crossbars…

It was on Lake Cupsuptic in Rangeley Lakes in about 1959 where the w/c Old Town sat on a little dock with a for sale sign on it.
The guy wanted $40. The canoe was in great shape, but we had no roof rack to get it home.
My Dad still talks about that canoe. He will be 99 in October.

It was on Lake Cupsuptic in Rangeley Lakes in about 1959 where the w/c Old Town sat on a little dock with a for sale sign on it.
The guy wanted $40. The canoe was in great shape, but we had no roof rack to get it home.
My Dad still talks about that canoe. He will be 99 in October.
Your dad would be so disappointed now. Too many motorboats.. Rangeley has gotten..er genrtified.

Hey guys, I still havent gotten a chance to try canoe camping yet. Been so busy with work. Someday this fall, Ive got a warm sleeping bag!

Back