• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Good lakes in Maine for canoe camping?

Reaction score
Does anyone know any good places (lakes/rivers) in Maine where I can park my car and just paddle off for a few days camping? I’m sure there are lots of places but I just don’t know about them. Everywhere I have been so far to paddle or fish seems pretty populated. State parks maybe? Moosehead?

This is such a bizarre question that I wonder
1. Where have you tried?
2. Do you have a Maine Gazeteer ? Its cheap and has all the launches and primitive campsites marked.

I could fill up several pages and spend hours on a list. State Parks are the LAST I would think of.

But lets get you started.

I’ve only owned a canoe for a month so I’ve never tried canoe camping anywhere. Just been to the local lakes near me fishing really. We don’t know what we don’t know I guess😞

I have never heard of a Maine Gazateer but I’ll look for one, thanks!

Oh an Atlas! I know what that is and think I have one. I didn’t know it shows the launches and campsites.

If you think you have one its likely outdated. When you start ferreting out the many remote Maine Lakes with access you want to know what is gated or impassable. Get yourself a new one. You really don't want to drive for two hours on a logging road and find the road has been blocked

Go to Abe Books, they have an excellent guide (used, $5.03, free shipping) to paddling waters here in Maine, and when cross referenced to an up-to-date Atlas will give you lots of great information on canoe camping here in Maine. (Lobster Lake is a good start) The Atlas has campsites marked on their maps, Quiet Waters Maine book gives excellent descriptions, directions, and other information.

Quiet Water Maine, 2nd: Canoe and Kayak Guide (AMC Quiet Water Series)

Hayes, John, Wilson, Alex
Published by Appalachian Mountain Club Books, 2005
ISBN 10: 1929173652ISBN 13: 9781929173655
Seller: SecondSale, Montgomery, IL, U.S.A.
Seller Rating: 5-star rating
Contact seller
BOOK
Used - Softcover
Condition: Good
US$ 5.03
Convert currency
Free shipping
Within U.S.A.
Quantity: 2

just ordered this book thank you! The Atlas I can buy local. I will also look at Lobster lake🙂

Keep in mind, the Quiet Waters book does not review every lake in Maine, but they give you a good idea of what's out there.
Abe Books also has the "AMC River Guide, Maine" for $6, it covers most rivers, a very good resource.
1688990800409.png

just ordered this book thank you! The Atlas I can buy local. I will also look at Lobster lake🙂
We are happy to get you started. What makes Maine special is the abundance of uncrowded canoeing areas. But you do have to leave York and Cumberland counties. AKA Massamaine

Thanks Robin, I’ll grab that one too! Also picked up a new Gazateer from Amazon thanks to yellowcanoe!

I’m 2 hours north of Cumberland county so it shouldn't be a problem for me. There are so many lakes and rivers in Maine and I’m excited to start visiting some of them. These guides will help a lot especially for someone like me with no experience. I don’t even know where to go let alone where to park and launch my canoe!

Thanks Robin, I’ll grab that one too! Also picked up a new Gazateer from Amazon thanks to yellowcanoe!

I’m 2 hours north of Cumberland county so it shouldn't be a problem for me. There are so many lakes and rivers in Maine and I’m excited to start visiting some of them. These guides will help a lot especially for someone like me with no experience. I don’t even know where to go let alone where to park and launch my canoe!

Welcome to the sport! Well, activity, but that doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely. Canoe camping is awesome, but there can be quite an overwhelming amount of information to absorb right out of the gate. You can find the answer to about any question you can come up with, but as you stated, you will find many answers to questions you didnt even know you had. Don't feel ashamed about not knowing where to start.

I’ll have to check that out! I’ve heard if Rangely lakes but have never been there.

I’ll have to check that out! I’ve heard if Rangely lakes but have never been there.
Mooselookmeguntic yes. Rangeley lakes no
Gentrified
go east to Flagstaff Lake and
Jim Pond
Since you said you were 2 hours northbof Cumberland Co. I figured you would be by Rangeley or the top of Aziscohos or by Jackman
Moose River Bow trip

Thanks for the suggestions! Jackman isn’t too far I don’t think. I’m in the Bangor area so I can get to Monson/Greenville in about an hour.

I want somewhere I can go paddle, fish and camp and be in relative solitude if that exists anymore haha. Primitive campsites off the beaten path will work, heck I don’t mind camping anywhere as long as it’s allowed and I’m not on private property by mistake….

Nice looking canoe. Other than weight, should serve you well.

You might peruse the last few sections of the North Forest Canoe Trail. Generally solitude, campsites, good maps.

Back