• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Go Pro

Glenn, I appreciate what you are saying, but I don't think I would ever hang my Nikon over the side of the boat. It is for the myriad other photo opportunities I get out there. My little Canon P&S did alright but I think I will have fun with my second GoPro. Two lemons in a row perhaps?

wgiles, you are referring to something like this? It is on the official recommended list. SanDisk Extreme PLUS UHS-I for Action Cameras 64GB (SDSDQX-064G-AA4A - 64GB)

Yes, UHS-1 or Class 10 is what GoPro currently specifies for their cameras. The UHS-1 cards have a U with the numeral 1 in it and the Class 10 cards have a C with the number 10 in it. It is not always easy to tell what the speed of the cards are.

No Title

So, now that I have made a sizable investment in GoPro I should actually use it.

First camera, Ebay, Hero4 Black, Junk. $380.

Second camera, Ebay, Hero4 Silver. Perfect. $436. New in box with dual charger, spare battery and 16gb sd card.

Accessories purchased while awaiting delivery of junk camera, sd card that is not compatible, handle bar mount and dual charger with spare battery. $200

I could potentially file a claim with Ebay on the first camera but if they returned it to the seller he would just sell it to someone else. I may be able to get it fixed.

Biggest issue at hand is finding compatible sd cards in Canada.

I decided I wanted a tri-pod mount but I need it tomorrow to try to record the Perseid Meteor Shower. So, I got creative.

We want a simple mount without spending any loonies...

Attachments

• photo7694.jpg
    photo7694.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7695.jpg
    photo7695.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7696.jpg
    photo7696.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7697.jpg
    photo7697.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7698.jpg
    photo7698.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7699.jpg
    photo7699.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
I've been debating the go pro thing for years, I want to be able to do good video(don't have to be great), But I want to be able to zoom on the action! I want it to be waterproof, I don't care for the wide angle effect, I want to be able to take some stil shot as well.... I think My option a really limited or expensive...
I like the Nikon 1 AW1... It is a bit big, but the closest to what I think would be the best all-around camera!

I mean I would love to find a smaller camera that can accomplish what I want lol... But Go pro is not that is for sur!

No Title

The GoPro can do stills, even up to 30 frames a second and there are options other than super wide angle. I'm trying medium during the day but will go wide angle for the meteors and see what happens. It surely isn't for everyone.

Ok, so, my 1 hour epoxy is actually 3 hour epoxy. Gave me time to get to town and get stuff done. Hopefully not many of you have that melody stuck in their head all day.

The results are exactly as I had hoped...

Attachments

• photo7700.jpg
    photo7700.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7701.jpg
    photo7701.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
The problem is the zoom ability. And even with the medium angle there is still plenty of distortion happening!!
Not for every one that is right!

I have a Nikon DSLR that will do everything you need Canot, but, it will only run 10 minutes at a time, which the manufacturer decided. That one you are interested in sounds perfect, a tad pricey though. I'll see how this works out for me, but my test recordings today had amazing picture quality but the camera gets really stinkin hot whether in the protective housing or not.

You get your choice and review it for everyone. :cool:

Lessons learned...

I can still wake up without my alarm on weekends at 3:36am
It may be Summer but it can still be cold in the morning
Despite a very bright half moon, I did see 16 meteors in a half hour
27 minutes of run time equalled 5.6 GB of data
My 64gb Kingston regular duty SD card will work with the camera
Don't allow the camera to choose it's own settings or you wind up with 27 minutes of black with only 2 stars and the occasional blip from a meteor
When making my super nitrogen rich liquid fertilizer, don't leave the 45 gallon drum open under a spruce tree unless you want to create a new insect species

I have a 5-year-old Youtube channel with close to 100,000 views and tons of positive remarks in the comments section. I have never had one person complain about the GoPro image quality.
Maybe they are just being kind, who knows.
I think you have to be out there and decide how much time and effort you want to take away from the trip itself with video camera work. The GoPro makes it easy, and pretty inexpensive.
I like the GoPro's ease, just turn her on and let it rip. I don't concern myself with sound, I just add background music and so far it has worked well.
I would recommend a GoPro to any canoe tripper who would like to record their trips, next to the trip, I find editing it down to 5-10 mins during the off season very rewarding

Back