• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

G

Glenn mentioned GAS in the TugEye thread, and I had to look up the acronym.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/GAS.html

I couldn’t immediately think of any gear that fit the GAS category, but then remembered the box labeled “Miscellaneous Canoe Gear”, essentially the junk-drawer for small unused canoe gear

I know it holds some GAS treasures; let’s open it up and have a look. Hmmm, the bulk of my GAS collection seems to be radios and illumination:

A pair of small FRS radios. Used occasionally years ago when scouting campsites on family trips.

A pair of handheld CB radios from multi-vehicle, pre-cell phone shuttle days. I may see if one of those still works and stick it in the truck.

And a lot of illumination: too many flashlights, lamps, finger lights, flashers, strobes, tubes, flexible wands and glowing things I can’t even describe. I confess to having bought half of them over the years, but the really oddball ones that take specialty batteries were all gifts.

I don’t even like using artificial light in camp, and yet I seem to be infected with GAS when it comes to the search for perfect tripping illumination. I’m still looking for the perfect bedtime reading lantern in the tent.

Confession is good for the soul. Got GAS?

15 canoes and kayaks including one outrigger canoe. Need I confess in more detail.

In connection with my newest hobby as photo critic, I have spent weeks researching waterproof cameras. This may not sound too GAS-sy. However, I just spent a lot of money (for me) for a higher quality non-waterproof camera to carry in a small Pelican box, after intellectually rejecting the concept of a waterproof camera.

So before I've even used my new GAS product on an extended canoe trip, I'm GAS-ing up to get a related product that I thought I had firmly de-GAS-ed. My flimsy rationalization is that I can't carry the Pelican box on the outrigger canoe (which I haven't used in three years).

Fortunately, genetic incompetence and a complete lack of tools inoculates me against DIYGS.

A recovering GASASS.

15 canoes and kayaks including one outrigger canoe. Need I confess in more detail.

Only to clarify if that is the current fleet or an historical count. Do rotting hulls count for 5/8 of a paddleable canoe?

In connection with my newest hobby as photo critic

Oh Lord help us all.

So before I've even used my new GAS product on an extended canoe trip, I'm GAS-ing up to get a related product that I thought I had firmly de-GAS-ed. My flimsy rationalization is that I can't carry the Pelican box on the outrigger canoe (which I haven't used in three years).

Fortunately, genetic incompetence and a complete lack of tools inoculates me against DIYGS.

A recovering GASASS.

Dang it, I’m still waiting for a GASS trip report.

Only to clarify if that is the current fleet or an historical count. Do rotting hulls count for 5/8 of a paddleable canoe?

Well, that goes to the DNMS stage not the GAS stage, but it is relevant to this topic.

I acquired all my canoes with wooden gunwales, some more than 30 years ago now (and some all wood), with the naive thought that I would maintain the wood with regular applications of oil or varnish. Contrary to Socrates' wise counsel to "know thyself", I didn't. And, therefore, decades later I have much rotting woodwork, which I do not have the ability -- or, probably more correctly, the interest -- to repair.

Had I better known myself, I should should not have acquired anything that requires maintenance (including a house).

Had I better known myself, I should should not have acquired anything that requires maintenance (including a house).

I hear you. I had 127 on the road paddling last year

The first year of on-the-road retirement was an education, and I’ve only begun to master the length of time I can be away and still keep up with pre-paying bills and house/gear/woodpile stocking/general maintenance and etc.

The packing and repacking part is getting easier, since I never really manage to get everything put away between trips. I’m getting better at it, and foresee more than four months away in 2014.

I see a narrow window of weather opportunity to get the truck up the driveway. Time to start repacking.

So my homework is late...Where are you going now? I am just planning my next trip... I got a permit today for Okefenokee for two nights March 24 or so. And Wekiva River and Homosassa.. Now working on filling in the days.. Gotta find room for Suwanee . Also busy filling in GPS waypoints for Sparkleberry.

I have a bad case of GAS, aka gear junkie.

My grandfather always had all the gizmos and gadgets and "the latest and greatest", I suppose that's where I acquired the skill, or maybe the curse is more fitting.....

I tend to use my 5 kids as justification to my wife (and myself) as to why we need another down sleeping bag, or new backpack, or this canoe, or that kayak, or..........you know "in case we go here or there and all the kids go along."

Every time I'm planning a trip I tell my wife I don't think I'll need anything other than food. But every time as sure as sunshine I need something, whether it be a new dry bag for "this" or a new water bottle, etc. although it keeps getting less and less there always seems to be something.

I don't have GAS.. Those six sleeping bags are a result of two bags having a wild party in a dark closet.. The four stoves the same alone in the shed. The dry bags.. well they stowaway at Campmor. I did check on the canoes. Lately they have been vestal virgins.

Keep me out of that store.

I get GAS atacks this time of year when I can't paddle. It's like the anticipating of using the stuff make paddling withdrall more tolerable. I was shocked the othe day to come across something I bought last winter and never opened! Maybe I should check myself in to a GAS rehab center.
Turtle

Oh that's priceless Yellow Canoe!! I had no idea that equipment could get up to such mischief! With my luck, the canoe will fall into lust with my sleeping bag, and then what will you get? A sixteen foot sleeping bag with thwarts and seats? A canoe that looks like a giant caterpillar? I'm glad I never went with a down bag; can you imagine carrying such a monstrosity after you'd paddled it a little distance?

Best Wishes, Rob

Ha! You guys are too much. That acronym site is helpful though. I had no idea what GAS was, and figured it was another tech secret from the inner circles of knowledgable paddling people. I thought that, well, I'm not in the know, so what did I know? I did try out some acronym possibilities. None of them seemed applicable, nor sensible, unless the inner canoe circle also dabbles in sci-fi undersea naughtiness, or waterside picnic photo shoots. I even asked my wife, just in case she was in the know (you never know, she is pretty knowledgable). "You know how when you sleep on the couch after Guinness and Pad Thai?" Hm. There's an acronym for that? Darned if I can figure it out.
Anyway, the way I see it, there's two ways people become afflicted with this GAS. Either you already have the enthusiasm for the latest and greatest stuff, or you always feel the pangs of equipment inadequacy. Hm. That doesn't sound quite right. Anyway, you know what I mean. Folks in the first group can't wait for tech engineers and designers to come out with new and improved ways for everything. Specific gear intelligently designed for just the right place and moment. Folks in the second group feel insecure with the gear they've got. Hm. Anyway, I'm often second guessing my canoe stuff. Did I choose right? Am I doing something wrong? In my quest for finding something useful, did I fall prey to some useless gimmick sales pitch instead? Especially given all the new gear hitting the stores every year. But there's a tug of war for my dollars and sense. It's "Keep it simple stupid" vs "You ain't seen noth'n yet". Or maybe this GAS thing is more complicated than I thought. But what do I know? Which reminds me, I'm all out of Guinness.

ps As the years go by, and my acquisition grows, I'm feeling more confident with my equipment. Aha! Now I get it!
Never mind...

pss Is this GAS thing socially acceptable? Better ask my wife. She'll know.

Last edited:
Back