• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Fund Raiser Coming

Reaction score
I wanted to give a heads up that in the beginning of Feb I would like to start a fund raiser to keep the site going. Robin has enough in the coffers to keep things going for a while Coming off the holidays I wanted to wait a bit to get back on track with all the craziness of those weeks of traveling, spending and family. I know I did a lot of traveling and spending on the grand kids so was putting it off for a bit. I will post as the time approaches with more details but did want to give all of you who care to contribute a heads up. Many thanks for all who make this site what it is!

dougd

I have a couple of things I could contribute if a raffle or similar is in the offering. Money if that is the way it's heading.
Jim

Yoga block drink holder raffle? I'm in!

I have a couple of things I could contribute if a raffle or similar is in the offering. Money if that is the way it's heading.

Straight up money never hurts. I did not wait for the fundraiser, but I may buy a ticket or two this time if there is another raffle.

I like the idea of Canoe Tripping members contributing raffle items, especially homemade, handmade DIY stuff. I trust Doug to draw the winning names, and to video the event in his new shop, upholding the finest Robin tradition.

But I would like to propose an economizing variation. Rather than folks paying to mail Doug the raffle items, and then Doug paying to mail them to the winners, how about we eliminate the repackaging and duplicate mailing expense and have the contributor mail the prize straight to the winner after the raffle?

Postage expense between the US and Canada is a stumbling block. Worst case scenario, a Canadian shells out to mail Doug a prize contribution. Which is won by a Canadian, and Doug pays to mail it back cross border.

The maker could just send Doug a photo and glowing description of the awesome prize contribution to be awarded, which I am sure Doug could incorporate into the video, and be responsible for getting it to the winner.

Between countries it might be less expensive transfer the prize to someone planning to cross the border for them to mail. Or, better case scenario, if the contributor knows someone who has a trip or visit coming up in the next year with the winner, get it to them, offering delayed gratification but in person presentation with a flourish.

Even if that meant employing a two or three person chain of custody, and a couple of handoffs from Canoe Tripper X to Canoe Tripper Y, the backstory alone would add immediate sentimentality.

I will be making another run of yoga block beverage stabilizers, as soon as I finish with this Kapotasana, which is making it very awkward to use the keyboard. If raffle prizes were limited to incountry shipping Memaquay might never get his customized yoga block.

EDIT. On second thought, the homemade, handmade DIY stuff can take a while to create. We do not all work with Alan Gage efficiency.

How about a straight up fund raiser first, with a raffle date set for some time later in the year, giving folks time to make and build stuff.

Last edited:
Did direct mail last time. No need to complicate things for the admin. Just sent a receipt for postage which Robin refunded

Vintage stern paddler, highly ornamental, comes with accessories. Batteries not included.

Happy to send something directly to wherever. I have a few bits and pieces that I have been making over Christmas so could provide a couple of smaller items or one larger piece of gear.

I might have one or a few little items to donate... It won't be anything big! I can ship where ever!

Vintage stern paddler, highly ornamental, comes with accessories. Batteries not included.

Inflatable by any chance?

Present and future support for Canoe Tripping is all up to DougD. But, in the spirit of democracy, I vote there be a straight up, send money, fund raiser in the next month or so, to keep the site well financed. I have faith Doug will not spend any excess on Bud Lite, Pall Malls and insulation.

And then, later this summer, a raffle, giving DIY folks time to think about what they might want to create, and time to make it. I have seen the craftsmanship of this community. Given time that could be some cool stuff.

Or some shenanigans. Can we rig the drawing so Brad wins an extended odyssey to acquire his prize, a blue barrel folding Carroms board with cup holders? That prize could be no postage handed off and passed around for years before he finally caught up with it.

BWAHAHAHA!

Money is the easiest to transmit via Pay Pal
But I have lots of canoe books to dispose of.. And an old Coleman one burner backpacking stove. Unsure if it works. Not mailable.

I'm all for PayPal !

But I have a Staple Puller, and a Razor plane I can ship from here.

DSCN0537_zps2338661e.jpg

DSCN0537_zps2338661e.jpg

Hello All, The upcoming fund raiser, as we all know, is to get enough funds to keep this site going for the next year. During Robins tenure this has been more the successful. As far as I know this is about the only site that depends on the generosity of all of you to do that so there is no advertising which I agree with 100 percent. It's one of the many things that makes this site so unique.

Since this is my first fund raiser I would like to put the raffle part of it on hold for another time due to me still learning the ropes and having some time constraints, I wish I was retired, close but not close enough. I do appreciate all the offers for donations for that and hope that I haven't dissuaded anyone from making contributions to keep this site going. This is not to say that the raffle can't happen again, I've enjoyed them, Rippy's knife!! So don't give up on that, it's down the road or river!

I have a bit of footwork to do on my end but will post with details when I get all that done.

dougd

I'm new here and have found this board a fgreat spot and very helpful. I would certainly like to contribute $$ wise. I cant say i have anything for an auction, but would be glad to support Robins efforts.

Ken

Sound decisions Doug. I can wait awhile longer for my blue barrel snooker table.
Just let us know when you're ready for funds. I'm in.

Sound decisions Doug. I can wait awhile longer for my blue barrel snooker table.
Just let us know when you're ready for funds. I'm in.

He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him. I shall make him chase his folding tabletop round the moons Buck and Beaver, round the Memaquay maelstrom and round perditions Fire in a Can before I give him up.

I am not a wrathful fellow. Just devious.

Back