• Happy National Limerick Day! 🅰️🅰️🅱️🅱️🅰️

Foot Braces?

G

What is wrong with this photo of the Bellnonah foot brace bar?

P2160018 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Oh, yeah. . . .I installed the foot brace bar atop the rail on one side, and below the rail on the other. Yeah, yeah, whatever, it was late in the day. Pay attention next time. (Good luck with that).

Easy enough to move the bar correctly back atop the side rails.

Or, actually, not easy enough, even with the hull on horses at a convenient work height. I really don’t care for threading on nuts, even wing nuts, working blind on the underside of the rail, and twisting stuff on upside down. Ehh, errr, is that now lefty tightly righty loosey, wait, no, that’s not twisting on, maybe the other way around. Nope, not that way either. Jeeze I wish I could see what I’m doing on the threads.

I don’t want the wing nut on top for the possibility of hooking a boot lace around it, but that sure would be a lot easier.

I saw that Swift uses an easy pin attachment, like a giant safety pin, on their carbon foot brace, which seems genius.

https://www.swiftcanoe.com/carbon-components?lightbox=c1kan

Whatever that spring pin is called (?) my wonderful country hardware had them, in a variety of sizes, and I brought the Wenonah side rails and Bell bar into the store for a test. Yah, they had a variety of pin sizes that fit easily.

All of which worked very poorly. The Swift carbon rails and bar must groove together in some fashion. Using those whacamallcit pins in the old school L aluminum side rails the bar rode up and out of position the length of the pin. And even if that held-higher-and-more-distant adjustment was acceptable (not), the assembly would have rattled like crazy on the truck roof racks.

FWIW, annoying rattle-wise, our Wenonah Wilderness has the adjustable seat hanger plates. Without a piece of minicel stuffed between the aluminum plate hanger and the sidewall of the canoe the hangers rattled in transit like an SOB. Positioned cab forward on the van’s 4 boat rack that rattle seat was just behind the driver’s side window.

I always keep my window cracked open a bit or auditory driving sense. 100 miles of maddening rattle was plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97kbv4mbsc

Stuff a sock in it. Which I did at the first rest stop, one on each side. And glued in some minicel as soon as we got home.

(Ooops, ranting again. Back on my meds. A chunk of minicel stuffed & glued between the hangers and hull keeps that from happening with those Wenonah adjustable seat drops. OK, I don’t like stuff that rattles. Not that I’m complaining, or full of peculiar pet peeves. Not me)

Back to wing nuts. Any ideas for something besides wing nuts, that doesn’t require tools, to use as a foot brace bar connection to drilled rail?

Or just put the dang bolts in from the bottom up, twist the wing nuts on visibly from the top, and get over my phobia about foot entrapment by never ever wearing anything with laces?

Just measure three times. put in once with nut bolt and washer and ignore
My okd school footbrace is where it has been since I got the boat 11 years ago
I doubt it will move when I try it
The nut is on the bottom. about two inches off the bottom of the boat
Since there is maddeninly little clearance there. maybe two inches a long needle nose plier and a six pack is what we used

BTW its gawd hot and Joel
not in sight

FWIW, annoying rattle-wise, our Wenonah Wilderness has the adjustable seat hanger plates. Without a piece of minicel stuffed between the aluminum plate hanger and the sidewall of the canoe the hangers rattled in transit like an SOB. Positioned cab forward on the van’s 4 boat rack that rattle seat was just behind the driver’s side window.

For your convenience we offer two heights: Not Low Enough for Sitting and Not High Enough for Kneeling.

Mines riveted. I think I dropped half a pound of stainless steel hardware declanging it.

My adjustable seat had a mind of its own to self adjust
Bolt and nut therapy applied. Like the footbar there really was only one settibg for me

I settled on the method shown on this page:

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...ssions/diy/25183-solo-expedition-build/page27

It's quick, easy, cheap, and very effective. You can get as carried away as you want trying to measure the correct angles or do like I do and roughly hold the pieces in place, make a quick pencil mark and wing it. Perfection is not required.

I made the first version using a metal chop saw and that was a little scary as it wanted to bind and grab as I tried to hold the right angle. For subsequent versions I've used a wood miter saw. It cuts the aluminum fine and the wider kerf at the cutting edge keeps the blade from binding. Plus you can tilt the saw head for the right angle instead of trying to hold it by hand.

Alan

My adjustable seat had a mind of its own to self adjust
Bolt and nut therapy applied. Like the footbar there really was only one settibg for me

My Wenonah adjustable seat doesn’t adjust itself, at least while I’m on it, but I don’t use it in a kneeling or canted position, and I have had no luck adjusting it while in the canoe. Not that I have needed to; I adjusted it to one (semi) comfortable position and there it has stayed ever since.

I do move the modern style Wenonah adjustable foot brace occasionaly; there is an incremental difference in comfort distance between paddling barefoot and paddling with thick soled boots.

Alan, that is the cleverest DIY footbrace I have seen. I would never have envisioned that solution, but seeing the photo it now seems obvious and I wonder why I’ve never seen it in a manufacturer’s boat, or even as an accessory piece.

I must have missed it in the build thread, or overlooked/forgotten.

Alan, that is the cleverest DIY footbrace I have seen. I would never have envisioned that solution, but seeing the photo it now seems obvious and I wonder why I’ve never seen it in a manufacturer’s boat, or even as an accessory piece.

I must have missed it in the build thread, or overlooked/forgotten.

I can't take credit. I copied it from an old Sawyer Cruiser I picked up at auction. I was wracking my brain trying to come up with a good adjustable foot brace solution that was easy to DIY and quick and simple to adjust on the water. When I saw the foot brace in the sawyer it was like the hand of Jesus reaching down to tap me on the shoulder. Well, maybe not quite.

Alan

Back