• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

FIshing pack boat with speed

Any info on slipstream impulse 13 boat. I talked to stan ar slipstream and he was very helpful on explaining reverse rocker and how that boat would be a good choice
As I said, I liked it very much, but it did not have great 'glide' at 190 pounds, probably a little less at 220-230. It is a lengthened Wee-Lassie I was told, so very full bodied out toward the stems. If you go with it, opt for the Surf-to-Summit EXP seat, its infinitely adjustable and will make you think you are back in the kayak. Or there is the hung seat option, but adds weight. Check out the Facebook Slipstream Group, lotsa feedback there.

Attachments

• SAM_1603.JPG
    SAM_1603.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 15
As I said, I liked it very much, but it did not have great 'glide' at 190 pounds, probably a little less at 220-230. It is a lengthened Wee-Lassie I was told, so very full bodied out toward the stems. If you go with it, opt for the Surf-to-Summit EXP seat, its infinitely adjustable and will make you think you are back in the kayak. Or there is the hung seat option, but adds weight. Check out the Facebook Slipstream Group, lotsa feedback there.
beautiful boat. I will add to my list to try. I understand it is hard to get a balance of all my requests.

I saw the Slipstreams at the Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous and noted they had " reverse rocker". Its also known as hogging and in most boats is detrimental as it impedes turning by making the stems dig in. The Slipstream rep told me that the design was intentional to aid in tracking. Most people double blade the Slipstream and carry the stroke way too far back automatically generating a yaw so this makes some sense. Here is a discussion on reverse rocker in short boats

You can't go wrong with the Swift Keeywadin Pack 15 ... it is an awesome boat. In the Swift line up, the packs have a contour seat that sits on the bottom of the canoe, giving a very solid stability ... the seat even has a backrest that makes sitting for hours very comfortable.

Brian

Reverse rocker -- i.e., a hogged or concave keel line -- seems detrimental to me for speed, laminar water flow and turning, and sounds like a bunch of marketing hooey.

Reverse rocker -- i.e., a hogged or concave keel line -- seems detrimental to me for speed, laminar water flow and turning, and sounds like a bunch of marketing hooey.
I thought so for many years.....then I was able to pick one up used just to see for myself. You have to remember it's just a 13 foot pack boat, recreational use, nobody will be entering one in the ADK 90 Miler. Having both ends 'skegged' so to speak, provides good tracking for a 13 foot boat (doesn't wag with a kayak paddle like most), and the length allows you to turn it without much effort (not going to be dancing down a meandering stream with it). It's a very slight hog (less than an inch), I took a pic just to show it. The Impulse is an enigma for sure, but has a following.

Attachments

• SAM_1601.JPG
    SAM_1601.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 26
I don't have personal experience with any of the pack canoe factory seats. Some are just foam glued to the bottom.

However, it seems to me that one could put almost any third party seat one wants in a sit-on-bottom (SOB) paddlecraft such as a kayak, pack canoe or decked canoe. Mike McCrea does this with various third party or DIY seats in the decked canoes he refurbishes and outfits. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this thread or is contacted.

In other words, you don't have to buy a $4,000 pack canoe just to get a top of the line padded seat installed in a less expensive pack canoe.

good to know. Who is Mike McCrea and does he do this for others people? How do I get in touch with him? Thank you

Mike is our most prolific poster here in terms of words and pictures and DIY projects. You can see some of the seats he has put in various hulls in this message from his current Optima thread:

ok I tried a few out this weekend. I went with something I did not think I would like. But it fits the bill for me anyway. The Hornbeck 14ft classic. It is very stable. Glides very well easy to paddle, easy to get in and out and even comfortable when I put the seat back to high and reclined and has enough room for me and tackle, even the dog if I choose. Being around 25lbs it is very light to paddle. Much easier thank a 100lb yak so it is about on par with what I am used to I believe. I did also like the new trick but it was no stable but very fast and responsive. Like driving a sports car, but the practical side of me said to get the classic because it fits what I need and yet is all the boat I will use.

I thought so for many years.....then I was able to pick one up used just to see for myself. You have to remember it's just a 13 foot pack boat, recreational use, nobody will be entering one in the ADK 90 Miler. Having both ends 'skegged' so to speak, provides good tracking for a 13 foot boat (doesn't wag with a kayak paddle like most), and the length allows you to turn it without much effort (not going to be dancing down a meandering stream with it). It's a very slight hog (less than an inch), I took a pic just to show it. The Impulse is an enigma for sure, but has a following.
If you ever want to sell it let me know.

ok I tried a few out this weekend. I went with something I did not think I would like. But it fits the bill for me anyway. The Hornbeck 14ft classic. It is very stable. Glides very well easy to paddle, easy to get in and out and even comfortable when I put the seat back to high and reclined and has enough room for me and tackle, even the dog if I choose. Being around 25lbs it is very light to paddle. Much easier thank a 100lb yak so it is about on par with what I am used to I believe. I did also like the new trick but it was no stable but very fast and responsive. Like driving a sports car, but the practical side of me said to get the classic because it fits what I need and yet is all the boat I will use.
Outstanding! The Hornbeck NT vs. Classic are the perfect boats to decide whether you prefer glide or stability. My only issue with them was not the seat, which I found quite comfortable for a sculpted hunk of foam, but the seat-back, which has no adjustability for angle/height. Just replaced it with a kayak-style backband and felt great. Hornbeck also offers the dog package and the fishing package, which add a slight bit a weight. The Impulse 13 actually fits right in between the NT and the Classic for glide/stability (in my opinion), but alas, I sold mine two weeks ago. I have one more Pack canoe to try (the GRB Rambler 13) and needed the capital.

Attachments

• SAM_1132.JPG
    SAM_1132.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 8
Outstanding! The Hornbeck NT vs. Classic are the perfect boats to decide whether you prefer glide or stability. My only issue with them was not the seat, which I found quite comfortable for a sculpted hunk of foam, but the seat-back, which has no adjustability for angle/height. Just replaced it with a kayak-style backband and felt great. Hornbeck also offers the dog package and the fishing package, which add a slight bit a weight. The Impulse 13 actually fits right in between the NT and the Classic for glide/stability (in my opinion), but alas, I sold mine two weeks ago. I have one more Pack canoe to try (the GRB Rambler 13) and needed the capital.
you can adjust the hornbeck hight and angle for the back. I found it was hitting my kidney area. At the Demo they showed me how. It looks like in the pic you have the back is in the recline but ion the low height. You need to put in on top of rail to get the higher back. Also, I am still thinking of putting the summit seat you had on the it also. I wonder if it will fit and would it stay in place with just the back straps. They did have a gel seat and back there for me to try with lumbar are it worked very well but I like the summit seat you had in the impulse

Last edited:
you can adjust the hornbeck hight and angle for the back. I found it was hitting my kidney area. At the Demo they showed me how. It looks like in the pic you have the back is in the recline but ion the low height. You need to put in on top of rail to get the higher back. Also, I am still thinking of putting the summit seat you had on the it also. I wonder if it will fit and would it stay in place with just the back straps. They did have a gel seat and back there for me to try with lubar are it worked very well but I like the summit seat you had in the impulse
That is interesting, they must have made a change. The mounting holes on mine were drilled at such an angle as to make mounting the bar above the rails impossible (without re-drilling). Even with some adjustment though, the foam was so stiff it seemed to concentrate all the pressure on my spine, unlike a back band. The Surf to Summit seat is about $175 last time I looked, a little pricy ($90 at Slipstream because it is only an upgrade from an existing seat). You will have to add a couple of pad eyes in front of the seat to mount. Hornbeck offers the matrix carbon/kevlar layup, like Slipstream; I highly recommend it.

Attachments

• SAM_1627.JPG
    SAM_1627.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 9
That is interesting, they must have made a change. The mounting holes on mine were drilled at such an angle as to make mounting the bar above the rails impossible (without re-drilling). Even with some adjustment though, the foam was so stiff it seemed to concentrate all the pressure on my spine, unlike a back band. The Surf to Summit seat is about $175 last time I looked, a little pricy ($90 at Slipstream because it is only an upgrade from an existing seat). You will have to add a couple of pad eyes in front of the seat to mount. Hornbeck offers the matrix carbon/kevlar layup, like Slipstream; I highly recommend it.
hornbeck said you might have to push the sides in slightly to mount it on top and line up the bolts. Which I had to do and it worked. do you think that the summit seat would slip on the hornbeck foam seat bottom? I agree the foam seat bottom was comfortable and my butt stayed dry. I ordered the black carbon boat with the dog package. I told them March I would pick it p since it is 8-10 week build anyway

hornbeck said you might have to push the sides in slightly to mount it on top and line up the bolts. Which I had to do and it worked. do you think that the summit seat would slip on the hornbeck foam seat bottom? I agree the foam seat bottom was comfortable and my butt stayed dry. I ordered the black carbon boat with the dog package. I told them March I would pick it p since it is 8-10 week build anyway
I don't know if the Summit seat would sit on top of a sculpted foam seat quite right. I'm guessing no, but I know some folks have adapted other aftermarket seats to sit on top. Like Slipstream, Hornbeck owners (Hornbeckians) have a very active Facebook Group (if you are not adverse to such things) that can offer a lot of info. They are almost fanatical, and I don't mean that in a bad way!

Another question I have an opportunity to pick up a 2nd Hornbeck carbon model classic 14' all black inside also, about 10-11 years old all the wood has been redone in cherry by hornbeck and boat is in very good condition. It is about $500 less than new. Question I have is. Is it worth it? being all carbon will it be hot on the water since it is all black inside also? has metal foot braces I was told Hornbeck used to use them before switching to plastic. Looking for feedback thank you

Yellow canoe is spot on with the over 15' remark.

I use my canoe primarily for fishing, and am the same size, also with sore knees. If you choose a boat under 15', and it's wide enough to fish comfortably out of, it will probably paddle like a tub. With that said, I like my OT pack 12' in royalex to fish small ponds and rivers with but it sure as heck don't glide!

I mostly solo my OT Penobscot 16 or my Bell Northwind 16'6'. (Both in royalex) The only thing about fishing from a larger canoe is that the wind really catches you and can make things difficult.

That's been my experience anyways

Jason

I have a carbon fiber Rapid Fire but with plastic foot pegs The boat does not get hot . Its been in the Everglades on some hot days. I can't vouch for the pegs but if your feet are on them they would be covered, no?

Hi everyone, I just found this site and I am looking for help. I have been reading and reading and getting very confused on this whole matter. I have been kayak fishing for years and have been through many kayaks. I currently own and Bonifide ex123 and a nucanoe pursuit. I love them both for many reasons. But the 2 things I love about both is they both glide through the water and are comfortable. But what I don't like is the weight. I would like to car top for a few reasons. My pickup is a gas hog and I just got a tesla that I love and makes it cheaper to travel to places I like to fish. Here local in NY and ct all over. I only fish in ponds and lakes. Some with power boats and some without. So things I am looking for in a pack boat. Yes using double paddle since I own many in a few sizes. Light weight, stable glides like a dream, comfortable seating since I will be siting fishing for hrs or all day and able to have enough room to fish for bass. I don't stand in the boat. I am also around 5'9" 230-240 lbs, very broad build not fat and in my mid 50's bad knees too. I see that Adirondack canoe co has a nice canoe called the Boreas looks like it fits the bill. Cost is good, weight good, looks comfortable, etc. I also have researched the following an think they fit also. Swift cruise, and Keewaydin, PBW rapidfire and shadow. I have never tried anyone of these just reading about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a swift cruiser 14.8 pack canoe, in expedition kevlar. It weighs less than 28 lbs. very comfortable for long days paddling and fishing. (seat has padding and a lumbar pad). I have 2 rod holders, and can easily carry my granite gear Quetico pack, a small food barrel, and a deck bag. Fastest canoe I've ever been in. Best used on ponds and lakes. Not a river boat. Pictures below are prior to the rod holders being installed on the front thwart. (I used the 4" scotty tracks pop-riveted on).

Attachments

• 0605210644.jpg
    0605210644.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 0605210644_HDR.jpg
    0605210644_HDR.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 30
Thanks guys, now out of the two Swift pack 13.8 or Keywadin and the Impulse 13 which glides better and which is more stable? They all have similar specs it appears except length
Hi, I have the carbon version of the Swift 13.6 pack boat and I bought it for fishing around town during the week. It’s perfect for fishing, I have totally been satisfied with it. It was expensive but at 24 lbs its been so fun finding so many lakes and ponds and just enjoying the boat itself. I highly recommend it. I never thought I would spend over 3 grand on a canoe but my original plan was to buy a bass boat. That woulda costed me around 10 grand. I fished at least once a week with it this last summer while my neighbors bass boat sat in his backyard. I smile every time I pull into my garage and see it hanging there! Best thing I ever did for myself!

Back