• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

FIshing pack boat with speed

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just found this site and I am looking for help. I have been reading and reading and getting very confused on this whole matter. I have been kayak fishing for years and have been through many kayaks. I currently own and Bonifide ex123 and a nucanoe pursuit. I love them both for many reasons. But the 2 things I love about both is they both glide through the water and are comfortable. But what I don't like is the weight. I would like to car top for a few reasons. My pickup is a gas hog and I just got a tesla that I love and makes it cheaper to travel to places I like to fish. Here local in NY and ct all over. I only fish in ponds and lakes. Some with power boats and some without. So things I am looking for in a pack boat. Yes using double paddle since I own many in a few sizes. Light weight, stable glides like a dream, comfortable seating since I will be siting fishing for hrs or all day and able to have enough room to fish for bass. I don't stand in the boat. I am also around 5'9" 230-240 lbs, very broad build not fat and in my mid 50's bad knees too. I see that Adirondack canoe co has a nice canoe called the Boreas looks like it fits the bill. Cost is good, weight good, looks comfortable, etc. I also have researched the following an think they fit also. Swift cruise, and Keewaydin, PBW rapidfire and shadow. I have never tried anyone of these just reading about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marcod, welcome to the site.

There are quite a few members here who have pack canoes that they paddle with double blades, and I'm sure many fish. Hopefully, some will chime in about their pack canoes.

In addition to the manufacturers you have already listed, Hornbeck probably makes more pack canoes than anyone and has many different models. Hemlock Canoe also makes two models of pack canoes.

A composite pack canoe will be MUCH lighter than any plastic kayak, and hence will be easier to carry and cartop on any vehicle. The tradeoff between a pack canoe and a "fishing kayak" would be width, which affects initial stability. However, if you don't stand, as you say you don't, a pack canoe is quite stable because you are sitting low on the bottom.

Marcod, welcome to the site.

There are quite a few members here who have pack canoes that they paddle with double blades, and I'm sure many fish. Hopefully, some will chime in about their pack canoes.

In addition to the manufacturers you have already listed, Hornbeck probably makes more pack canoes than anyone and has many different models. Hemlock Canoe also makes two models of pack canoes.

A composite pack canoe will be MUCH lighter than any plastic kayak, and hence will be easier to carry and cartop on any vehicle. The tradeoff between a pack canoe and a "fishing kayak" would be width, which affects initial stability. However, if you don't stand, as you say you don't, a pack canoe is quite stable because you are sitting low on the bottom.
thank you, I like the hornbeck but are the seats comfortable for long hrs of fishing? The hemlock I also looked at their site. Both very nice boats but I want to make sure they glide wonderful and effortless and are comfy too sit in. The way I fish I like to carry a milkcrate in front of me to access lures etc. The Boraes from ACC looks like they have room and the cross bracing is further forward making it easier accessing the crate for lures. What is the history of ACC? Are their boats good, hold up, etc? Price point looks more in line with hornbeck and hemlock. plus the seats look more comfortable? I understand I need to test them but I want to limit the choices to the ones that really fit my needs since I will have to drive to them and test. I live about 3-5 hrs south of them so I have to plan to visit on the same days or at least 2 days.

I personally don't have a pack canoe and don't fish.

The fastest general purpose pack canoe might be the Placid Rapidfire, which has won many Adirondack races, but I'm not sure you need high speed for fishing ponds. A Swift Keeywadin 14' pack is probably pretty fast, but you might have a hard time finding one to test paddle. And, as you know, test paddling will be the only way to really answer your questions about seat comfort and storage space.

Slipstream in NY also makes a line of pack canoes, and Savage River, Wenonah and Northstar have models.

You might want to schedule a weekend tour to demo ACC, Hornbeck and Slipstream models in NY.

I personally don't have a pack canoe and don't fish.

The fastest general purpose pack canoe might be the Placid Rapidfire, which has won many Adirondack races, but I'm not sure you need high speed for fishing ponds. A Swift Keeywadin 14' pack is probably pretty fast, but you might have a hard time finding one to test paddle. And, as you know, test paddling will be the only way to really answer your questions about seat comfort and storage space.

Slipstream in NY also makes a line of pack canoes, and Savage River, Wenonah and Northstar have models.

You might want to schedule a weekend tour to demo ACC, Hornbeck and Slipstream models in NY.
thanks, I would like to stay with a NY product. I do fish in larger lakes and ponds, so that is why I would like to get from spot to spot and fish rather than paddle all day. I will set up the demos and let you all know. Thank you for your help

Marcod, The Placid and Swift packs are the highest quality layups (and the priciest). I looked at ADK Canoe briefly, but were disappointed in the build quality (many pin-hole voids in the skin-coat and a scratch pad that appeared to be applied with a roller after the boat left the mold). I have owned a Rapidfire, Spitfire 13, Swift 13.6 pack, Hornbeck NT 12 and Classic 12 and a Slipstream Impulse 13. The most comfortable to sit in over long periods was the Impulse (with the upgraded Surf-to-Summit seat). The matrix layup was stiff enough to support your weight to enter/exit the boat without having to 'roll out' of it per Hornbeck methodology. The Impulse has a strange hull with negative rocker that I was very skeptical of for many years, but having had one now, I am sold on it for recreational paddling. Stable, tracks well and able to turn quite easily.

Marcod, The Placid and Swift packs are the highest quality layups (and the priciest). I looked at ADK Canoe briefly, but were disappointed in the build quality (many pin-hole voids in the skin-coat and a scratch pad that appeared to be applied with a roller after the boat left the mold). I have owned a Rapidfire, Spitfire 13, Swift 13.6 pack, Hornbeck NT 12 and Classic 12 and a Slipstream Impulse 13. The most comfortable to sit in over long periods was the Impulse (with the upgraded Surf-to-Summit seat). The matrix layup was stiff enough to support your weight to enter/exit the boat without having to 'roll out' of it per Hornbeck methodology. The Impulse has a strange hull with negative rocker that I was very skeptical of for many years, but having had one now, I am sold on it for recreational paddling. Stable, tracks well and able to turn quite easily.
Thats is excellent feedback. I will add that to my list.

I can't imagine a more comfortable pack canoe seat than Swift's. I test paddled a Swift Keywadin 15 Pack at Racquet River Outfitters in June.

Swift's seat is comfortable for sure, as it should be on a close to $4k boat. There have been some issues reported on the newer pack seat in the Swift FB Group however.

Attachments

• swift seat.jpg
    swift seat.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 26
Thanks guys, now out of the two Swift pack 13.8 or Keywadin and the Impulse 13 which glides better and which is more stable? They all have similar specs it appears except length

I don't have personal experience with any of the pack canoe factory seats. Some are just foam glued to the bottom.

However, it seems to me that one could put almost any third party seat one wants in a sit-on-bottom (SOB) paddlecraft such as a kayak, pack canoe or decked canoe. Mike McCrea does this with various third party or DIY seats in the decked canoes he refurbishes and outfits. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this thread or is contacted.

In other words, you don't have to buy a $4,000 pack canoe just to get a top of the line padded seat installed in a less expensive pack canoe.

I don't have personal experience with any of the pack canoe factory seats. Some are just foam glued to the bottom.

However, it seems to me that one could put almost any third party seat one wants in a sit-on-bottom (SOB) paddlecraft such as a kayak, pack canoe or decked canoe. Mike McCrea does this with various third party or DIY seats in the decked canoes he refurbishes and outfits. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this thread or is contacted.

In other words, you don't have to buy a $4,000 pack canoe just to get a top of the line padded seat installed in a less expensive pack canoe.
good to know. Who is Mike McCrea and does he do this for others people? How do I get in touch with him? Thank you

Marcod, regarding glide: at your weight, most of the pack canoes under 15 feet may suffer a bit, as they will tend to ride lower in the water. Have you considered a conventional sit-and-switch ultralight solo that you can find used? Some of the Wenonah's come in under 35 pounds and if you have bad knees, it's easier to loft oneself from the seat to exit. Also work well with a kayak paddle.

Marcod, regarding glide: at your weight, most of the pack canoes under 15 feet may suffer a bit, as they will tend to ride lower in the water. Have you considered a conventional sit-and-switch ultralight solo that you can find used? Some of the Wenonah's come in under 35 pounds and if you have bad knees, it's easier to loft oneself from the seat to exit. Also work well with a kayak paddle.
yes I have and would like to try that also. I am sure that would be way easier on my knees and I would have the option of putting a seat with back on it too? are they still as stable as lets say a sot kayak I am used too?

You have competing aims. Speed and primary stability at a standstill are hard to combine. You need a larger volume boat due to your body specs. 15ffeet or more.

The Shadow was designed to blow away kayaks in the ADK 90 miler; so its a bit of a race boat.

I would in your case confine pack canoes to those you can paddle with a single blade if you are trying to do something with your other hand.. Maneuvering with a ping pong paddle may be necessary to get your fish. For that reason some of the Hornbecks are too wide for single blading. Some of them are ok

I have a RapidFire and its fast enough. It was also used in the 90 miler race. Glide is a function also of bottom condition. After 15 years of oyster bars my RF bottom is a little rough. I use it on Lake Superior when the waves are under three feet. Also on the choppier Gulf of Mexico and just paddled this weekend in the Gulf of Maine. Rapid Fires theoretical hull speed is about six mph. No doubt much faster than your SOT. Joe Moore has a variety of seats available.

I have solo canoes too in the traditional sense and if you are a big guy sitting up high... no your CG is too high. You can lower the seat in any canoe but the issue becomes the height of the gunwales. Pack Canoes have cut down shear 1-2 inches .

Thanks guys, now out of the two Swift pack 13.8 or Keywadin and the Impulse 13 which glides better and which is more stable? They all have similar specs it appears except length
They are both marginally too small for you. But do try as many as you can.

How about a Hornbeck classic 15.6? It seems to fit my size and speed and stability?

If you can test paddle Swifts one of them should be perfect for you. The Prospector 14 pack, Keewaydin 15 pack and 15.8 Cruiser pack are all fine candidates. All with handle your weight easily. The 14 is most stable, the 15.8 would be fastest and the 15 is a great blend of cruising speed with excellent stability (I'm happy to do 20 miles in my Kee15 solo and it's very secure in wind and waves). If you'd consider a conventional canoe made for sitting the Wenonah Prism is a bullseye for your stated requirements of stability, glide and capacity and the length would give you lots of room for fishing gear.

How about a Hornbeck classic 15.6? It seems to fit my size and speed and stability?
try. Its a little wide at the gunwales for single blade. What I don't like is the tucked cheeks on the Classic line. The water does not read the boat as a 15'6 inch boat but rather a 13'6" boat.

Any info on slipstream impulse 13 boat. I talked to stan ar slipstream and he was very helpful on explaining reverse rocker and how that boat would be a good choice

Back