• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

First trip in a new canoe tips

Reaction score
I’m taking my Lincoln Explorer out for the first time next weekend with the local trout unlimited guys. Anything I should do or not do different than I’d do with my old plastic Colman? I’ve had the Lincoln for almost six months but have not had it in the water yet. We’re just going up to a 15 acre lake to do a little trout fishing it should not be too windy and I’ll have on current to deal with.

Don't drop it or bounce up and down in the middle. Don't put more than two people in it (including you). And expect it to respond to your paddle strokes the way a proper canoe should. Other than that, enjoy!

Its just me so I think I'll sit in the front seat facing backward. As for my paddle stoke I'll have to work at that.

You might want to bring some weight to keep the bow down, maybe a couple gallon jugs of water, in case it's windy.

This thread strikes a chord with me because I will be taking my first trip in a new canoe in late May. I don't even have the canoe yet but I am expecting to have it in early May. It takes a bit to get used to a new canoe. Only way is to paddle it as much as possible. If you are lucky you will fall in love with it.

Back