• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

First time Stripper Build (nervous yet excited)

Tandem boat build?!?! Sweeeeet. It's been a couple years, yeah? (And it runs in the family - cool)

Yeah, the first time he was ever in a canoe was with my darling bride and me and our daughter...he was four years old. All he has ever known was to paddle strippers. He's been wanting a boat of his own for a while now, finally committed last year, then other stuff got in the way. I won't judge, it took me 3 years to build my sailboat!

Is this the build your talking about, interesting thread.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=16671

Yup, that's my nephew's boat, he needs to gt it ready for our annual pre leaf out trip, this year it's Lake Lila to Bog river Flow.

And I also had two other build threads, one for my DY Special, and one for an identical design tandem that was a tax deduction donation that was raffled off. Some lucky dude got that boat for $10!!

Patch,

As soon as you get those forms cut out, you'll find yourself standing them up on the floor, at the proper spacing, just to "see" the hull for the first time. I've spent many hours oogling just the forms of a new hull...it never gets old.
Enjoy the process!!

Wow!!! Very nice pics! You are decades ahead of me! Attached is 3 nights worth of work, and I'm 100% amazed I just did that. Super psyched. I still have to smooth out the forms. I just wanted to see what it would look like! image.jpgimage.jpg

photo%20(2).JPG

image.jpgimage.jpg

Sorry about that, I tried to delete that post. I was having a problem posting earlier. I had a hugely productive night!!! This is where Im at so far!!!

Last edited:
Oh heck yeah - I have been putting in a lot of hours - maybe 70 hours, to get to where I am now. I applied my final strip Sunday night (the 28th of April) and began the sanding process. I think it's going to take me a while - I don't know, maybe the orbital sander I have isn't very strong - but, it takes a while to see any sanding results. I've also been looking at RAKA, trying to figure out what I need for materials!!! Psyched - would be an understatment!!!

Gosh, from the way the pictures looked, I thought you had already glassed it. It saves a lot of time if you wipe the extra glue off with a damp rag while you strip. Also, it will save you a lot of time if you take a small hand plane and plane all the dirty crap and ridges off each section as you sand. You can even use a paint scraper if you sharpen it up good. I start with 60 grit on an orbital sander. I started sanding my new 17 footer the other day...I figure by planing and using the 60 grit, it will take about 3 to 4 hours to complete the first sanding.

What kind of glue did you use to glue the strips together?

Last edited:
Back