• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

First Paddle of the Season

Reaction score
The first mate and I took our canoe out for the first time this year yesterday and spent 2 hours on a local lake. We saw 15 pelicans, 2 bald eagles, and a pair of loons which even called. It was great exercising the atrophied paddling muscles again after almost 4 months.

Last week I was out 3 times on a local river. Just a hour or two and those muscles start to show their age. Saw no one else on the water. One bald eagle one deer and a few bank fisherman.

Wow - good you guys, real happy for you getting out. I ahve been cutting wood for next year and running the timber with my dogs but no paddling yet. Looking to get 5 more inches tonight so it might still be a while. So glad I can can read posts like this - gives me hope. Also we ahve the Canoecopia show this week, so that should help as well.

Bob.

While you were out paddling, we were getting more snow. We picked up about a foot where I am in NYS and there's more predicted for the middle to end of the week. The rivers are open in places, as are some ponds, but it's not time yet for me to get the boats out. Heck, I couldn't if I wanted to as the barn is pretty much encased in snow (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

i'd love to making my first paddle, but the water is hard on the edges and the air temp is below freezing.

On the bright side, I just bought a Curtis Solo Tripper. Looking forward to open water and warmer air .

Yea sure, rub it in. 8-12 inches fell overnight and through today and still coming down.

Attachments

• photo9074.jpg
    photo9074.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9075.jpg
    photo9075.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 0
Boys oh boys it must be nice to be able to get out this early in the year.
On the plus side, if the weather holds, the ice will be out soon and I'll get to canoe in March for the first time in my life.

Wow - good you guys, real happy for you getting out. I ahve been cutting wood for next year and running the timber with my dogs but no paddling yet. Looking to get 5 more inches tonight so it might still be a while. So glad I can can read posts like this - gives me hope. Also we ahve the Canoecopia show this week, so that should help as well.

Bob.
Hey Bob, I think Swift is going to show some new solo canoe for first time at Canoecopia. Please take pics and post!

Everything is open in SW Michigan but the puppy and I have been sticking to small local lakes since the rivers around here are still at flood levels.
image.jpeg

Yes they are, there was a tease on FB the other day of them removing one of the new hulls from the form.

My 1s paddle this year was a week ago in the woods flooded by the connawango creek. It's a hoot going through a woods paddling where you should be walking. After the launch there is a short road you actually paddle down- should we stop at the stop sign? A friend named this paddling trip "Treestyle canoeing"

Hmmm...
Had first paddle of the year on January first. ;) Cold, it was. The river was not frozen this year. Had the new-to-me Guide out on the local lake for a couple hours yesterday. Not a hint of wind, and it's a no-motor lake this time of year. Sweet. Temps going up into the fifties this weekend!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg Hey Steve, I hope you like your new Guide. I remember paddling one years ago and that is was a hot Royalex boat that spins on a dime and also cruises well. Nice and deep too.

Hey Turtle, I've always enjoyed paddling among the trees too. Here are a couple pics of a paddle I did in a local soybean field about a week ago...along with a comparison pic when it's not flooded. One funny thing is that it was a super difficult launch. You could not see even an inch into the muddy water so first the boat would get grounded and then the stern would swing out (due to current!) and drag me right into the thorn bushes and then when I plant a paddle on the other side to push off I find deep water and can't hit bottom - and get a little oopsy thrill. And of course the current dragged me through the same thorns when I took out. You can see the main river in the shot with the bow of my canoe. It was spooky even to get close to it when it's so high and fast.

looks like fun. Fortunately, the connowango where we paddled had almost no current. It's always muddy, so that didn't bother us. This is my granddaughter and her Reverie I. I've titled this picture" the waiting is the hardest part"-yes I know I stole that from Hornbeck.

Attachments

• photo1498.jpg
    photo1498.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Gumpus, your assessment of the Guide matches my first impressions. I've only had it out a couple times yet, but I think I'm going to really like it. The way it handles and responds suits me. only complaint is that it outweighs my Sojourn by about 15 lbs. But at the price I paid, I can overlook that.

I need to get better about taking photos.

Attachments

• photo9102.jpg
    photo9102.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9103.jpg
    photo9103.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 0
It looks like it's in great shape and also looks nice in white with black trim. I've always liked white canoes.

Yeah, the wood, cane, and hull are in great shape. Obviously stored indoors and paddled with care. The PO was even apologizing for the few minor scratches and scuff marks.

It's actually an off-white that I believe was called "Sand". I decided a long time ago that is my favorite color for canoes - but this is the first one of that color I've owned.

Back