• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

First paddle of 2020

Reaction score
Finished painting and oiling the woodwork of my backwaters canoe so I took the pup for a paddle today. It was 70F in so. MN today and canoeing is allowed although you're supposed to stay close to home but no one defines what close means. So I drove a couple of miles and dropped in where the local creek empties in the Mississippi. Was surprised that the water level has dropped a couple of feet over the last week so the creek was back in it's banks and there was no paddling through the woods. Went out on the Mississippi for a bit but it was pretty windy and the current was really moving and the one bass boat out on a 1/4 mile wide river decided he had to buzz by about 15 yards away at high speeds so we turned around and headed up the creek to do some exploring.
The pup was 30 pounds last fall but now is 75 so it's a bit of an adjustment for us this year. I think she's close to done growing, she'll be a year old in a couple of weeks. She likes the water but doesn't necessarily like to swim so she only tries to get out when we're close to or touching shore. Everything is still pretty brown but a little green is showing.
Didn't see much wildlife, mainly birds but did see the largest tree I've ever seen a pillated woodpecker destroy, I think this one could build a dugout canoe.

I'm going to try and like a Google picture folder.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fgJ5daf6jHQwduZRA

Thank you for the show! I keep forgetting you pup is a big dawg! Loved seeing the pics of the pup getting a drink. Waiting here in NH for the waters to drop some to get out. Someday soon.

Great day to be out on the water for sure.
saw a dozen deer, one eagle, mated mallards, wood ducks, Canadien Geese nesting ( I didn't disturb), and two carp jumping.
Someone could turn that into a Paddling Christmas song !

BWCA66, the water looked grayish in some pics. Is that normal up there ?

This was a First paddle for me in a way !
I put one of those Awesome Sanborn paddles ( bent shaft) to use ! I have three, and have never used one, because I never oiled the bare wood grip. Last week I Watcoed all three grips

I tried to pick the ugliest one to try out ! Trouble was there was Nothing Ugly about any of them !!!

Alas after drawing straws, one was selected !

It has now earn the right to go on every trip to the water, with me ! I love Them !

You can Tell the guys at Sanborn from me ! They are great and feel soo good paddling !

Jim

BWCA66

Boy, I sure like dog and canoe pics ... just feels good to see. Your pup is beautiful, looks like two had a terrific time enjoying the water, timber and each other, good on ya.

Jim, do you have any pics of your time on the water, or your paddles?

Bob

I wish I could get motivated. Haven't seen 70 yet. We might make 50 today! It snowed again yesterday. Water temp is still 38. This requires too much dressing!

BWCA66

Boy, I sure like dog and canoe pics ... just feels good to see. Your pup is beautiful, looks like two had a terrific time enjoying the water, timber and each other, good on ya.

Jim, do you have any pics of your time on the water, or your paddles?

Bob

I didn't take a camera, and I'm still using a Trac phone, Flip phone. Nothing fancy and I don't Text ! I know I'm outdated, but happy with it !
Here is the link . They take much better pics than I do anyway !

https://sanborncanoe.com/

When they first started up, I paid a fee to help them get going, and as a result received a paddle. I believe it is the Gunflint model.

As time went by I ordered one more, and bought one at MidWest Mtn's Spring event. Yea. Kind of a Paddle hoarder.

I do like the Watco finish I put on the grip. The blades are glassed, and the whole paddle is light !

Top Notch for sure !

Jim

Last edited:
When they first started up, I paid a fee to help them get going, and as a result received a paddle. I believe it is the Gunflint model.

As time went by I ordered one more, and bought one at MidWest Mtn's Spring event. Yea. Kind of a Paddle hoarder.

I do like the Watco finish I put on the grip. The blades are glassed, and the whole paddle is light !

Top Notch for sure !

Jim

Jim, your gunflint must be one of the old ones that was actually bent to get the bend! I was using one of those yesterday too. Just sanded off the grips of about ten paddles that will get reoiled this week along with some touch up epoxy on the blades and a fresh coat of varnish. Also sanded down and oiled a couple of their 1 piece cherry paddles.

BWCA66, the water looked grayish in some pics. Is that normal up there?

Jim

Not really, most those pics were on a trout stream that usually runs pretty clear but the spring run off is still in full force, we had a bunch of snow on Easter. One of the pics I was out on the main channel of the Mississippi and that can be most any color!

Back