Nice job on those seat rail ends to hull fits. Not easy to do! I don't have personal experience with installing a seat that way, but I'd feel more secure with a supporting ledger fitted to the seat rail ends, glued to the hull.
I found that, with the seat 28 inches behind the thwart (which is the physical and gravitational center of the boat), I could easily go from sitting to kneeling without having to worry about putting my feet under the seat.
I was surprised that the "sweet spot" for kneeling without my feet under the seat and sitting was that far from center.
Moving the seat forward could (potentially) allow me to lean my butt against the seat when kneeling but my feet are then under the seat and, without a lot of freeboard, I'd rather not.
yes, I'm aware that many on here would say I've compromised control already and they'd probably be correct if I intended to use it empty.
The supports under the seat are notched for the rails if that's what you mean. I should have gotten a good picture of it before installation but I didn't. I can try tomorrow if I think of it.I'd feel more secure with a supporting ledger fitted to the seat rail ends, glued to the hull.
Fair warning: it's very photogenic. On the next, I'll have to be more careful to contain runs in the epoxy (or, maybe, just sand them off) as there were quite a few below the chine that I missed. They'll (hopefully) remain above waterline so they'll have zero effect on performance and I doubt I'll ever do anything about them. Between the runs and some minor puddling on the inside, maybe that's my other 3 lbs lol...look forward to seeing it in person!
Another benefit of doing it that way is that I put the first scratch on it shoving it over the railing. I'm assuming it's like a new car... first scratch makes it no longer pristine so I can just relax and drive it, right?I get a huge kick out of the picture of the canoe getting, launched, out of the up stairs shop.
Thanks Bob. I'm looking forward to posting pictures of it in various settings... like Flat Stanley; wilderness version!Beautiful job. It came out great! Have a good trip.
Thanks, Mr. Miyagi. I was a bit concerned about the Aspen being so white that it required sunglasses to paddle but it's really a light yellow. Might be the RAKA epoxy... I've noticed that leftovers in the mixing cups have turned a yellowish color instead of remaining completely clear. I'll play with other epoxies going forward and see.It is easy on the eyes for sure...
Wow! Nice work! Been a blast following your progress and details! Congratulations on a job well done! Now paddle and be free!!OK, to wrap this up: While applying spar varnish to the seat, gunwales, etc, my buddy Dave was able to slip a piece of paper between the hull and the ends of the seat rails in a few different places so I obviously didn't get a good bond. I was pressed for time so he built tape dams around the ends of the rails, mixed up a little epoxy & dribbled to in until the wells were slightly overfilled with epoxy, let them set up and removed the tape the following day. He did, however, neglect to take pictures but I'm not complaining. The seat is now securely attached to the hull and I didn't have to do it. (I learned long ago to never complain about free help)
My Dad and some co-workers want to see the boat before it's scratched up so I stopped out tonight, lowered it off of the porch one final time and carried it to the truck.
View attachment 137036
View attachment 137033
The padding on the cap cross rails had become pretty rough and I didn't want to damage the (IMO) gorgeous Cherry gunwales so I stopped at the dollar store ($1.25 store?) and grabbed a couple of pool noodles (if you've read my BWCA report, you'll know I'm a huge fan of pool noodles). I slit these, spread them over the cap cross rails and wrapped them in gorilla tape.
View attachment 137034
(and, yes, I AM sitting on the roof )
All that was left was to weigh it and lash it to the roof so I borrowed my buddy's bathroom scales and proceeded to do both. The canoe is now ready for Canada, the canoe shop is ready for a Raven build when I return and I am ready to disappear into the woods for a bit.
View attachment 137035
Final weight: 45 pounds (I was hoping for 42 but I knew that was energetic for a first build). I'll let you know it performs when I get back.
It just does not seem to have enough rocker to turn well and even turning sharply on lakes had the sensation of plowing water.