• Happy International Cat Day!

Fears while paddling or on canoe trips

Reaction score
Nice.... I try to help disburse some of those fears, and you question the methodology...
My apologies if it came across that way. That wasn't my intention. The only thing I meant to question was the use and comparison of statistics (specifically, in this case, deaths by domestic dog vs. deaths by grizzly). I don't doubt any of the statistics, and they are useful, but I do think it's important to think about how they are compiled and what they mean to you personally (if you intend to put yourself in the position of being a possible statistic).

In this case, even though domestic dogs kill more people per year than Grizzlys, I'll take my chances by walking up to a strange dog rather than walking up to a grizzly. But the statistics and experiences of people like you do make me feel more comfortable when I do find myself wandering around in grizzly territory and I appreciate that.

Alan

Reaction score
My biggest fear is losing a boat.

On one of my first expedition trips, the Missinaibi, at the end of a particularly dangerous set of rapids was a repaired canoe. Some unlucky travelers had previously run the rapids. In doing so, they wrecked and abandoned their boat. Some years later, another group of paddlers came along and fixed up that old boat, leaving it there should someone else meet the same fate. It stood as a grim reminder that you can basically survive the loss of any other gear - but losing a boat is possibly a fatal mistake.

We push our limits - we run white water more often than we should. We do it with a solid note of caution, but still, when the realities of spending 2 hours portaging vs. 10 minutes running are presented, we do take risks. And it's not just wrapping around a rock that scares me; it could be any reason we lose a boat.

Even with multiple boats, I can work around the loss of a stove, or a couple of paddles, if need be. But nobody takes a spare boat. You can't even carry your gear if you lose a boat - you're just stuck, waiting for help, and where we're looking to go in the next few years, that help might not come for weeks. And if you press the Big Red Button, you're leaving behind tens of thousands worth of gear.

So yeah, before falling ill to giardia or poison oak, my biggest fear is losing a boat - or for that matter, the maps. Both are our only way out notwithstanding a helo rescue.

(with apologies for the thread necro, I just signed up and I'm going through old threads)

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
(with apologies for the thread necro, I just signed up and I'm going through old threads)

No, no, no, PacketFlend, it's much better to add your experiences or opinions onto an interesting older thread than to unknowingly start a new one on the same subject . . . or to stay silent, giving us nothing to read about your experience or opinions at all. Thanks for that contribution. It was very interesting and instructive.

Reaction score
No, no, no, PacketFlend, it's much better to add your experiences or opinions onto an interesting older thread than to unknowingly start a new one on the same subject . . . or to stay silent, giving us nothing to read about your experience or opinions at all. Thanks for that contribution. It was very interesting and instructive.
I am neither interesting nor instructive. I've just made a few mistakes and lived to tell of them.

Opinions, though... I have plenty.

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just made a few mistakes and lived to tell of them.

Opinions, though... I have plenty.

In my opinion, good canoeing judgment is primarily formed by making a lot of bad canoeing judgments and surviving and learning from them. So also in the rest of life.