• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

​Favorite camp games?

G

One of the things I miss about doing group trips is playing camp games. Family trips are still essentially a marathon of game nights.

And sometimes game days. Windbound, carving golf clubs from driftwood and sculpting a miniature golf course made for a most enjoyable couple of days. The course evolved over time, and fashioning the windmill on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] was tricky.

Physical games:

All terrain bocci. Maybe the best backwoods game ever. We use 4 old wood croquet balls and a golf ball. Teams of two, winner of the last point gets to roll the golf ball (object target ball) out some tricky distance. The closest croquet balls score points.

Don’t play with DougD; he wants to overhand the golf ball 100 yards away, and after trying to hurl a croquet ball that far all afternoon your shoulder will in no shape for paddling the next day.

One of the best parts of AT Bocci is the inevitable “color commentary” among the participants. Think demented golf announcers with no sense of decorum. Rolling the golf ball into a pile of pony crap at Assateague is a time honored tradition.

Night horseshoes. More of a well-fueled Gentleman’s Trip late night game, but equally fun in the backyard at home. The contest is always visually awesome. Cyalume/glow sticks rubber banded to the stakes and shoes, with all other illumination vetbotten. It is admittedly errant-throw dangerous unless played with rubber shoes, but the lighted shoe flight and landing is remarkably entertaining.

I’ll leave the Gent trip remarks to your imagination. Try it.

Word games:
Seated around the campfire word games. There are dozens, from 20-questions to the kid classic “I’m going camping and I’m bringing. . . .” which seems to stump even smarter people playing for the first time.

Far and away my favorite sit-around-the campfire word game is Botticelli.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botticelli_(game)

That game sounds far more complicated than it actually is. Botticelli has only four simple rules:

1)One person, the questionee, thinks of a well known/famous person and gives the first letter of their last name. Let’s say “C”.

2)The group asks “indirect” questions about famous people (or, increasingly, lesser famous people) whose last name starts with the same letter. “Is this one of the discoverers of the double helix?”

3)The questionee on the hot seat can come up with “Crick” or answer a direct question from the group.

4) Direct yes/no question from the group. “Is this person living?”, “Is this person male?”, “American?”. “Sports figure?”, Etc.

Indirect questions are not limited to the established criteria of male/living/American/sports figure or whatever has been elicited. My questionee chance of dredging up Miley Cyrus as a “C” answer to “Is this a pop star from Hannah Montana” is nil without the help of Goggle.

As the game progresses the group has direct-question elicited “Male, living, US, sports figure, black, individual sports, boxing”. . . . . with a “C”

Askers who believe they have ferreted out the identity then ask a pointed indirect question “Is this a living, male, US boxer?”

Questionee is free to answer with the obscure “No it is not Andrew Coleman”, which fits the too-simple phrasing of the question posed. Phrasing the specificity, and obscurity, of questions asked weighs heavily in this game and is a large part of the stumping fun.

After scoring the right to ask again with another stumping indirect “Is this a living, male, African-American boxer who won a gold medal in the 1960 Olympics?”

“No this is not Eddie Crook” still works. dang, the ‘60’s Olympics had two American gold medalist C’s.

Or, giving up, “Yes, this is Cassius Clay”. Game over and winning asker becomes the questionee on the hot seat. Gawd I hope they didn’t pick someone from pop culture.

Botticelli works because everyone has some area of trivia expertise, history, literature, sports, pop culture, comic book super heroes, 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century French poets (Memaquay no doubt), and everyone gets to throw increasingly obscure questions at the questionee, eventually amass a body of biographical evidence. Plus formulating the specificity of direct and indirect questions can be comical as heck.

Best word game ever. I still insist that Roger Tory Peterson is famous enough to qualify as a “P”.

Of course I was being facetious but the only game the group of fellows I trip with play might be cards , they are too busy solving the worlds problems over a beverage around the camp fire or bringing embarrassing episodes to memory but I've seen folks with wannigans with checkerboards on top so this may not be universal.

Cards and on the sandbars of the Green a wicked game of bocce.Our target ball was a golf ball. Our rolling balls were pool balls. But we decided to allow everyone to throw the target ball in a manner specified by the previous winner. We came close to golf ball in the river.. We were a little liberal in the definition of roll as the sand was er lumpy

Mr. McCrea! Boccie! Well, until I played it with you guys I thought it was an I-Talilion noodle meant for the sauce pan. And you guys never laid out the rules too well. heck, I'd rather throw a golf ball then hit it, got better aim. Now 100 yards toss could be a few beers too many on your memory! If I could do that I'd be making millions throwing for a baseball team! It was fun as heck except for picking it outta the pony crap!

and the one farthest from the target ball must chug. What must be chugged is kinda interesting after nine days on the river in the heat. Taint beer.

Last edited:
All terrain bocci. Maybe the best backwoods game ever. We use 4 old wood croquet balls and a golf ball. Teams of two, winner of the last point gets to roll the golf ball (object target ball) out some tricky distance. The closest croquet balls score points.

In the game of bocce the proper name for the target ball (golf ball) is the pallino, pronounced (pa-lean'-o) translated it means "tiny ball" unless you're from the Tuscany region, in which case, you should probably just call it the target. Oh, and Doug, it is not made of cheese curdled from sheep's milk.

My favorite camp game is one we call hat toss, it's a lot like Frisbee golf except you're trying to land your hat on a stick jabbed in the ground. It helps to wear a full brimmed hat with some weight to it. A Filson will usually take the gold.

Last edited:
My favorite camp game is one we call hat toss, it's a lot like Frisbee golf except you're trying to land your hat on a stick jabbed in the ground. It helps to wear a full brimmed hat with some weight to it. A Filson will usually take the gold.

So that hat of yours is not just well worn, but well thrown. dang shame if the stick was jabbed in a pile of bear crap.

We have had some truly memorable Bocce games. We named one site (#10) at Little Tupper “Bocce Greens” for the undulating expanse of pine forest floor. Assateague tournaments are sometimes played across the island from the bayside out to the Atlantic. Bring a day pack; that slow playing mile of sand is a long way to carry sufficient beers.

Long enough that bizarre stipulations become part of the game. Roll the croquet ball between your legs or blindfolded, jump and pirouette 360 before throwing. Piggyback off your partner; sorry Doug, but you knew Tom was unbalanced.

There have been some oddly cruel and memorable Botticelli games as well. Best ever:

Friend Alan picked an “M” name as questionee on the hot seat. I do not remember who he picked. What I do remember is a half hour of askees barraging him with stumping indirects, all with the last name Mitchell. Even after everyone knew the identity his pick, just to keep him on the hot seat, every single indirect question was last named “Mitchell”.

Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix drummer), Margret Mitchell (Gone With the Wind). Joni Mitchell. Shirley Mitchell. Martha Mitchell. Edgar Mitchell (Apollo 14). Dennis Mitchell (Dennis the Menace). The Mitchells went on forever, including obscure athletes, actors, politicians, writers and scientists.

Poor Alan, we were playing with an international crowd, and dang but there were a lot of increasingly obscure Mitchells, cricket and rugby players, Canadian curlers, Aussie politicians, B-list English actors and obscure fictional characters including, IIRC, two different Power Rangers.

Botticelli is a great all-ages game; how many Power Rangers or Pokémon can you name?

I never knew there so many other backwoods bocce players!

One we like is "that game with a Frisbee and cups". I see there is a wiki article that calls it "Fricket" (Frisbee-cricket).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fricket

Another one we found ourselves playing on our last trip was "Where's Justin?" Every time someone asked "Where's Justin?" everyone had to drink. Poor Justin wouldn't have to disappear all the time if his wife would let him smoke cigarettes without harassment.

I drew a checkboard on the inside lid of my wannigan, and made a set of chess/checker pieces out of craft foam. Played with my daughter once in awhile. But she prefers UNO... once beat me 18 games in a row on a very rainy day... I also carry a deck of mini cards (about 1/4 the size of a regular deck.) I've also brought pocket battleship to play with my daughter, but we invariably found more interesting stuff to do during the day.

Nights around the fire were time to just talk, daughter-to-dad... good times.

Anybody have any good 2-3 player games for a regular deck of cards? This seems to have come up multiple times this year in camp with not much for results.

Hearts for 3.
Requires a board, but cribbage serves up a very nice thinking man's game for 2,3, or 4 players. Hands are small - 6 cards dealt, but only 4 are "played", so each hand plays out quickly.

As a solo paddler the games I play at night are.

Make the fire burn better. It involves extensively poking the fire to achieve maximum burn

The other game I like to play sometimes simultaneously is Make The a Whiskey Disappear.

Finger game. Best played while waiting for your food. Person who is it places one hand under the table holding out from 0 to five fingers. Contestants guess how many fingers are extended, can not choose same as anyone else. If there is a winner they get to be it, no winner the same person stays it.

Sure Alan and Sadie played many many games during their recent trip while waiting for wind to quit blowing.

Back