• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Exploring the North Maine Woods

Reaction score
Last Monday(10/7/2020) I headed north from my new home in central costal Maine to spend 5 days in the North Maine Woods driving the logging roads and checking out some ponds and potential new canoe camping destinations.

Like Alsg, I stopped at the Telos Checkpoint, got my permit and headed north. My permit mentioned Pillsbury Deadwater campsite as my destination but in reality I was free to go where I wanted. On my way north I encountered a cow moose using the gravel road as an easy way to move from point A to B. The winds where up and any of the larger lakes where too rough to paddle.I don’t know if its me but I have had some bad luck with the wind in Maine, so my plan was to find some quiet ponds not effected by winds.

I spent my first night at a small pond called Island Pond. It was a drive in campsite with enough room for 2/3 groups. Like all the drive in sites I visited the first 3 days of this trip, it had a couple of picnic tables with raised coverings, and a clean first class privy.
I had the place to myself, and while the campsite was pristine, the thought of sharing a campsite with others was not my cup of tea.
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I left early the following morning without paddling the pond.

I visited a few other ponds on the map and soon realized that group campsites where the norm here in the NMW. While heading into one pond my truck’s front right tire feel thru the wood base of a bridge up to the frame. As luck would have it a short time later a nice guy showed up and pulled me out.

That night I stayed at Mooseleux Dam campsite, another group campsite. I had the place to myself and was able to get out on the lake and a stream the next day.

FF805E66-1D5B-4404-AD5D-99DB55FF6EC8.jpeg

I spent wed driving around and ended up at a place called Straggly
Lake, another group campground but I found a nice secluded campsite. Straggly Lake is beautiful, I spent The day paddling it while trolling a streamer trying to catch a trout or salmon.
85909305-4445-47E9-9A07-F7E5C79AF920.jpeg

0609BD65-A32B-4B42-AAAF-106C1CC5FD68.jpeg I have plans to return to the NMW in the next few weeks to continue my exploration.

Attachments

• DB608A1F-5661-472A-950D-1F8E017F8AE9.jpeg
    DB608A1F-5661-472A-950D-1F8E017F8AE9.jpeg
    872.9 KB · Views: 4
  • A39251B7-3B4D-4728-BD19-4DCDFC872AF0.jpeg
    A39251B7-3B4D-4728-BD19-4DCDFC872AF0.jpeg
    661.4 KB · Views: 5
Robin,

I'm assuming you are not a time traveler and the 10/7/20 date is a typo and that you meant 9/7/20. So you preceded me through Telos Checkpoint by exactly one day!

Sounds like you experienced some of the same winds as I. Sorry about that!

I'm not familiar with the places in your report, but I'd guess the campsites that can be driven into are almost always going to be group sites.

Some of the AWW sites also have more than one cell. But there are 1 cell sites as well.

Alsg

PS Your food looks a lot better than the freeze dried stuff I brought to Allagash Lake and more like what I usually like to eat on these trips!

Robin,

I'm assuming you are not a time traveler and the 10/7/20 date is a typo and that you meant 9/7/20. So you preceded me through Telos Checkpoint by exactly one day!

Sounds like you experienced some of the same winds as I. Sorry about that!

Haa, Sept, Oct, ?, it’s a retirement thing. The wind has be an issue for me on most trips to Maine, and I wasn’t expecting every drive in campsite to be “group” but I must say they where very neat, and the privy’s where the nicest I have ever had the pleasure to use.

Drive in has its rewards, like good eats.

My problem is my legs, no strength after my episode with agent orange cancer, VA is not sure why the hamstrings are weak, maybe the radiation or meds, but that really hampers my mobility. Climbing a hill is hard, impossible with a pack so I have to be careful of what Situations I get into. I can still paddle all day though. So I’m searching for new areas where I will find a happy medium.
I have lost almost 50lbs via keto, huge bacon and egg breakfast, no lunch save a celery stick and a huge meat and veggie dinner, that has helped keep me active.
I plan to take a ride up to the Deboullie Pond area in the next two weeks, it sounds pretty nice and I might find a drive in site or better yet, a paddle in site that I can set up camp and kick back for a few days with my wall tent/wood stove and “cold handle meals”.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parksearch/PropertyGuides/PDF_GUIDE/deboullie-guide.pdf

5A20B697-DE20-4C4F-AB5E-4469F1D27FBF.jpeg

Hi Robin,

You went to some of our favorite haunts. Island Pond was a popular site for us because the beach was shallow when the kids were small. We ran Mooseleuk Stream into the Aroostook River once upon a time too. Thanks for posting.

Fitz

Last edited:
http://www.northmainewoods.org/images/pdf/map.pdf

They aren't all group campsites. We pass one on our way to Seboomook which is a one spacer but way up a hill ( ( which for me is out too) I have seen several that were for one only with no table nor roof but I can't remember where. Some may have been on the Oxbow Road years ago. My feeble memory cant remember which.
You sure picked ponds that I wouldn't think would have been big sites!

The North Maine Woods are a treasure! You are going to have a lot of fun exploring up there. I've made trips there every year but one since 1985, mostly to deer hunt. I like the working landscape of the northern Maine forest. Thank you for posting!

Hi Robin,

You went to some of our favorite haunts. Island Pond was a popular site for us because the beach was shallow when the kids were small. We ran Mooseleuk Stream into the Aroostook River once upon a time too. Thanks for posting.

Fitz

That’s a nice place, Island Pond, I guess some old timer used to go there with his dog, there was a small handmade headstone with some initials and RIP, and a chewed up dog toy. At Mooseleux there was a bunch of remembrance’s for a person, and when it got dark 3 solar lights lite up in the woods....gave me the creeps. I paddled far up the stream as the wind was Blowin out on the lake, moose country.

5C1B7054-E027-4C20-A164-5C414FB0752E.jpeg
I like the fact you can cut firewood with a chainsaw up there, although it’s easy to find small dry down end wood everywhere. I brought the saw to clear any blocked roads.
525631B2-2ABC-48EC-AF18-3618847E2321.jpeg

Interesting I didn't know there were grave markers aside from the one at Seboomook Landing. Its a boat launch too with a lean to fire ring and a handsome wooden cross.. I bet there are many such monuments scattered at various places now.

Nice trip Robin, I've had a few trips up there altered by the wind.

There's a side single site on Round Pond below Allagash Lake. It's a 4-500 feet from a double site and in the area there's Poland Pd that you can drive out above the dam to put in

Nice trip Robin, I've had a few trips up there altered by the wind.

There's a side single site on Round Pond below Allagash Lake. It's a 4-500 feet from a double site and in the area there's Poland Pd that you can drive out above the dam to put in

l should have headed over there, it gets a good review in “Quiet Waters” , lots of places to check out up there. Thanks

B02FACD1-F595-4EA3-BB3B-49B347EEE58B.jpeg

Last edited:
The paddle into Dagget is a lot of fun also. I never ever seen so many moose and herons in one place on that stretch of Ciss Stream.
Poland Pond has perfect acoustics and is a Loon Haven. One night we sept there the loons kept us up with there calls and their echos. I've never heard so many different calls.

We stayed at Loon Lodge the night before our Allagash Lake trip.. So many ponds to explore and always wanted to poke in Ciss Stream.. But with low water this year I am not saddened not to go.. Next year for sure.

I wish we could sticky this page. I bookmarked it.

I stopped briefly at the top of Round Pond to check it out when I was on Allagash Lake last week. The water looked very low. Here’s a picture I took.

Attachments

• A0DA0AE5-5087-4804-9E5E-4CD92982FF94.jpeg
    A0DA0AE5-5087-4804-9E5E-4CD92982FF94.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 1
Robin exploring and venturing into the Northern Maine Woods! There are a ton of options which I am sure you will find most of them. Nice trip Robin! Thanks for posting. As for Alsg's photo of Round Pond, that lake looks absolutely nothing like the Lake I paddled earlier this summer in June. Ciss Stream was full of wildlife and well Round Pond campsites were occupied. I am assuming that the water level is affected by the dam control on Caucomgomoc Lake. Not sure about that.

Heading up to NMW again tomorrow, Deboullie Pond for a few days. Wall tent/wood stove/cot, drive in site but I hear they are secluded somewhat and single campsites. A few nice ponds in the area to explore. I have some nice flys and streamers a friend sent me to try for trout and ll salmon.
and of course my cold handle frying pan.

9994328D-E2C3-4B5F-8270-85ED61EEB181.jpeg

Back