• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

DownEast magazine Allagash Feature

nice little video, I have to cross the border someday to get down the Allagash.

​Jamie

Fredericton, NB

That's a nice video, looks like you had a good time. I have a 20 OT Guide, it's a big canoe, carries alot of gear.

nice little video, I have to cross the border someday to get down the Allagash.

​Jamie

Fredericton, NB
This is a good year Jamie.. Its pretty close to you too! You actually will have to go north to St Francis or Allagash Village to drop off your vehicle and arrange a shuttle. XL Trippers (20 feet) are the rangers choice.. after all they carry chainsaws, lumber, and mowers.

Thanks for the video. I'm not sure how easily I'd be able to portage a 20' Old Town these days but I guess that's why you have grandkids! Looks like a family adventure in the making.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Bring the bug shirt!

I had the experience of being on the Allagash one year in the fall when a outfit was shooting a film for a movie on the changing Allagash. There was no one else on the waterway and so we ended up in the film quite a bit. One of our group was interviewed and gently advocated reducing access points etc. to make the waterway more appealing to trippers. Anyway, the movie they produced is called Northrunner. It is available here: http://mainehistorical.stores.yahoo.net/northrunner.html.

It sure is a lovely canoe trip - especially if you put in at Chamberlain Lake. I have to say personally I think you miss a great deal of the experience if you cut out the lakes (Chamberlain, Eagle, Churchill). But, I understand sometimes people can't take the time.

We put in @ Indian Stream my grandson is headed for Army Basic on the 03 July.
In the 9 other trips, @ this time of year, I've only put only put bug dope on 3 times, no need for bug shirts.

Yea, July can be bug free for sure. But trust me, bring a bug shirt just in case in June. June can be brutal. Worst bugs I've ever dealt with in all my years, including Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and Yukon were in June on Round Pond. I honestly prefer a put in at Chamberlin Bridge. I love those first nights on Chamberlain and the little drop into Eagle.

Last edited:
I just watched that nice little video the OP posted. My regular trip mate learned to paddle as a boy on trips in Maine run by the father, (Herb Cochrane), of one of the leaders on that trip in the video. That experience had a huge impact on my friend and truly shaped his life in many ways, most importantly his love of wild places and commitment to preserving them. My friend had a huge impact on me in a similar fashion - at least in the area of canoe tripping. We still try to trip in a similar style when we are in Maine and even up north to the extent possible. We keep a big pot of water on the fire at all times where good long fires are still possible.

Last edited:
Well, this certainly has got my blood boiling again. Great stuff. This is a great little forum. You folks do this stuff the right way.
Guess I need to send some e mails and start thinking about ice out.

Back