• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Down the Bloodvein and back

Did you see the new dock at the lodge at Wapeskapek on the Gammon? I flew out of there last September. Did you stop at the St.John's cabin at the St. John's rapids? There is a plaque with my father-in-law featured on it that is quite the work of art. There is also a guest book that you can make an entry and sign.

I had to look up that lake name as it wasn't familiar but once I saw the picture on the map I recognized it. Sure looked big enough to have a name but my topo map didn't give one. That was one of the few days I was running with a tail wind so I was riding small white caps down the center of the lake. Didn't get very close to the lodge.

I didn't know the cabin existed until I met a couple guys in a tandem canoe on Lake Kautunigan that told me about it. They said it was just upstream of the first lake I'd cross on the Gammon so I was kind of keeping an eye out for it and was surprised when I never saw it. When I got up home I looked up which set of rapids was St. John's Rapids and couldn't figure out how the heck I could miss that cabin until I finally remembered I never stepped ashore, I lined up the left side. How did your father-in-law get on the plaque?

Did you get tired of the thundering water and the portaging? I did, and I only spent 2 days on the Bloodvein from Artery to the Sakakoneekum portage.

Absolutely. I love peace and quiet and camping next to rapids for 2 or more weeks about drove me insane. Worst part is white noise causes my brain to make up music. It's like there's a distant concert on the far side of the river so I can just catch the general tune, enough to tell what type of music it is, and a muffled voice with no distinct words. Just about every set of rapids brings out a different tune. It just repeats over and over and over. Never felt more like a looney toon in my life.

I took this from the "solo expedition build" thread as it is getting rather long.

As for the St. John's cabin, you would not have seen it unless you took the portage on the south, and even then it is not visible. You have to follow a short trail to the cabin. It was built in the early '80s by the students of the now closed St. John's school that was located in Selkirk, MB as part of their outdoor program. My late father-in-law, Frank Wiens, was the founder and headmaster of the school, and he was the leader of the cabin build. The boys would go from Bissett to the cabin by the Gammon river by dog sled in the winter and paddle to it in the summer. The plaque was brought there by my brother-in-law to commemorate Frank's investment in the lives of many young men (many of which are not so young any more). In any case, the site features an outdoor kitchen and benches as well as a weather proof cabin. I have been there many times and know that part of the river very well.

As for the sound of rapids, I will not camp near the sound of rushing water if I can possibly avoid it. The sound tends to keep me awake and I love the peace and quiet. During my 17 day solo in June there were times that it was so quiet that it did not seem real and I started to notice that there is a constant ringing in my ears that is not perceptible under normal conditions. I had to think of something to distract my conscience mind so I didn't go loony, lol.

I am looking forward to the video. I brought a go pro that I borrowed only to find that the battery went dead for some unknown reason and the biolite that I brought had the wrong plug-in so I could not charge it. Wow. Next time I will make sure.....

As a side note, I brought 21 pounds of food for 17 days and brought 8 pounds back. How was that possible? Well, it must be because I love to fish and eat fish. One day I ate 4 pickerel for supper at a beautiful camp at Sasaiginigak lake. I didn't think I would eat it all, but somehow managed.

I have my eye on the Leond for next year, but am hoping to get back to Haggart in early October for some lake trout.

I really like your trip report, and it is interesting to see others' tripping style.

I really like your trip report, and it is interesting to see others' tripping style.

I can see doing a different style trip in that area. It's impossible not to let your imagination start to wander as you look at all those different rivers that feed into the Bloodvein and the other connected, and nearly connected waterways. What if I went up here and jumped over there? Could I get to here? I think I could find a exploration and bushwhacking trip quite enjoyable. It would keep me engaged and active.

During my 17 day solo in June there were times that it was so quiet that it did not seem real

It is startlingly quiet up there. I find it so strange, coming from Iowa, that there is no insect noise at night. No katydids or crickets chirping away and it was rare that I heard any owls, though there were a few. Some sites had toads calling that lent some reassuring but non-intrusive background noise but many areas didn't even have that and, as they say, the silence was deafening.

Alan

Yes, sound travels out there a long ways too. Several times we have heard voices and thought we were going nuts only to find someone paddle up an hour later from two lakes over.

Anyways, now the secret is out. You know why we live here. The tripping is astounding. I often have the same problem with not wanting to end a trip, and being antsy once I get back. I prefer to have company though....someone to share the work load.

Like you, we have had to do field repairs more than once. Setting up the tarp and using the coleman to dry the boat out so we can glass it back together. Some fun huh Bambi?

This is the best crap ever. You have done well, Paddles with Spaniels, I am sure we will be seeing more of you.

Christy

Wonderful report, thanks for sharing. I have no desire to travel solo, and my canoe/life partner and I certainly take a more relaxed approach to tripping, but I fully understand the frustration of being windbound and the boredom of rest days. The part of tripping I enjoy the most is setting off each day with a new goal to reach on the map. Once you're used to travelling every day, it's difficult to find ways to amuse yourself around camp for long. But, that's where the devil's lettuce comes in handy (and whiskey)!

Back