• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Double paddle broken Calling Dr McCrea

Reaction score
The two piece double blade decided to be one piece We managed to push the pin way in with a screwdriver and yank the two pieces apart
The button spring and shank now is four inches buried in the shaft. hollow.
How to get it out?
Paddle was acquired in 1993
Paging the Doctor of Lost Causes

If I am understanding the problem correctly I would try two wires, one bent with a hook at the end to hook the button shank and the other in an ell shape to slip behind the spring portion to lift it. Pull both simultaneously to extract that troublesome catch.
Jim

If it is a standard 2-part paddle button clip, as on many paddles of that vintage, I’m with Boatman, bend a hook on a piece of coat hanger, fish it out and put it back in.

Or, if it is mangled, buy a new one. Maybe a spare or two while you’re at it.

You guys will not approve.. I bought a Werner Camano double blade in Gainesville at the REI. For some reason the total expense was $13.
The list on the paddle was $299. We have been REI members for forever since the 1970's. I don't remember if membership rewards are lifetime.
We are in an RV and have no wire coathangers. But I will hang on to the derelicts because the wire hangers at home I am sure are procreating again.. We may be able to resurrect this

But I knew the good Dr Mc would come through.. I will call to find out how much shipping will be for the 2.50 part. The derelict piece may remain six inches under.

Have you got dental floss and a small rock? Or small fishing weight. Tie the floss around the rock/weight… hang it down inside the tube, past the button apparatus. Then hold your mouth right and tilt the paddle up such that the rock goes around the button deal and comes back out the mouth of the tube. Grip both end of the floss and gingerly pull the offending piece out of the tube!

Have you got dental floss and a small rock? Or small fishing weight. Tie the floss around the rock/weight… hang it down inside the tube, past the button apparatus. Then hold your mouth right and tilt the paddle up such that the rock goes around the button deal and comes back out the mouth of the tube. Grip both end of the floss and gingerly pull the offending piece out of the tube!
I'll need a You Tube tutorial for that😂

McCrea Boatworx and Tavern has a few spare button clips, but those aren’t doing you much good in Maryland. At $2.50 apiece it is worth ordering a couple. Some outfitter/paddleshop in Florida might have one in stock. I’d still buy two.

I have a Werner Camano, carbon shaft/nylon blades. Absolutely my all-time favorite double blade

I do have duct tape
Good thing... If someone found out you don't have duct tape AND you use a double blade...

Head thwacking is pretty easy with a single too... when I was a kid myself working at the Scout camp, it seemed like a daily thing to haul some poor bugger from the boat docks to the infirmary after his buddy tried to splash him with a paddle that skipped instead of splashed.

Back