• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Double Layering

Reaction score
I know I've been a Thorn in the side on this !
But I feel I'm not getting my point across, on this Minor issue. So I thought I'd throw out this illustration.
IMG_1696_zpsuruxzrov.jpg

The bottom one shows the main layer on top of the extra layer. See the gap that is either air, or filled with resin. Hopefully resin ! Note the thinning of the main layer to feather the ridge, either by scraping, or sanding.

The top illustration shows the extra layer on top. There is no thinning, or gap.
The Blue line represents the hull.
I hope this clears things up, on my Madness !

Jim

Last edited:
I always put the extra layer on the bottom, 20 canoes later no problem. Just make sure you squeegy. I wet them out both at the same time too.

Jim,

I understand the method to your madness. I'm guessing the other builders on here that do it the opposite way have their reasons for doing so. Stray ends are contained...maybe. Just a guess really.
I would equate this discussion to politics. It would be a tough sell to change a democrat into a republican based on one issue alone. Or vice versa.

We're gonna build a seam, keep all that polyester resin out!
Ha !!
And I'm going to make Polyester Resin Pay for it !

I totally respect every builder. We all have different methods ! This post was more about me trying to explain my Madness, than Force anybody into doing it my way.

We're going to make this Canoeing Country Great again !

Jim

Well Mr. Dodd, do you put the footprint/tarp under your tent or inside?

If I'm worried about rain, I put plastic on the inside. If the weather is nice, it goes on the outside.
But most of the time, I skip the foot print.

I also put my toilet paper rolls in the holder, so the paper rolls off the top, towards me ;) That is also the CORRECT WAY ! Ha !

Jim

I just skip the whole tent thing and float in the air ... sort of rising above the issue ... does that make me Canadian, lol

Concur on the TP Jim ... we need to establish that as a new law

Brian

Back