• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

DNR portages

Reaction score
Our DNR here in minnesota does a great job at keeping the boat landings clean, nice and usable. The canoe portages in the BWCA are usually in excellent shape, so I hear. But some of the portages in central MN are not what I'd call a portage. Today I used 2 portages. Nice big signs to let you know there is the portage. But the one portage you would have to boost the canoe up a 6 foot bank, and the water was 3 feet deep at the base of the bank. And another portage I came across.... Nice trail, easy going for 1/4 mile. Then trees and brush. The trail zig-zagged through the trees and brush, and was only 2 feet wide. My canoe is 16 feet long. Not even a 12 foot canoe would maneuver through. Had to turn back.

I know our DNR is doing they're best, but maybe I should volunteer to help make some improvements.

One difference is that the DNR does not have much to do with the BWCA. The US Forest Service maintains the BWCA, takes care of the entry points, portages and campsites. They organize work crews - both employed and volunteer that do a lot of the maintenance and clean up. The DNR basically enforces fishing, hunting and boating laws in the BWCA and they really aren't there much.

You will also find that whether you are dealing with U.S. DNR's or Can. MNR's there are strict limits on just what you are allowed to do. Sometimes it is best to discreetly open the old trail. Cutting a new trail, do not even think about it.

Back