• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Diagnose/Restore Canoe

Reaction score
Hello. I purchased this canoe at a garage sale and would like to use it this summer with my wife/toddler. It looks to be in decent condition and wanted to see if anyone has insight on whether it was a good purchase. I got It for $100. I am planning on cleaning it up and adding some accessories. Is it wise to try to strip the paint that is already falling off the exterior? I am not seeing any markings that would lead me to the manufacturer.
https://imgur.com/a/Ye00axK

if its post 1972 it has a number stamped etched or on a deck plate somewhere
Its a Grumman or one of the Grumman look alikes
Strip away. The paint has no purpose
Check that the rivets are sound and the floatation actually works
It may be a bust or a good buy

Good Score !

My first Aluminum could tell a lot more stories, than all the Rest of my canoes, put together ( at least 15)

Use it and have fun !

Jim

Looking at the pics I thought maybe I saw 2 holes and a rivet gone in either the bow or stern up high that would probably need attention. Find a way to get the paint off and then try to clean the rest of the hull to look for flaws. I am not expert when it comes to aluminum hulls outside of paddling them at camp and then a little later in life. My mom bought one used that was from the 50's and paddled it a lot of places. I got it when she passed and as my fleet got bigger I gave it to my sister. I'm betting it's still going strong!

dougd

Stripper down! (yeah, bad pun) Those holes in the stem and keel can be easily filled with some JB Weld. Put in enough to plug the hole and let harden, after it's hard, add some more to bring it up almost to the surface and let harden, then do a final filling to ABOVE the aluminium sand flush and paint with some silver paint!

I would guess the "M" stamped on the seat is for Marathon, the name Grumman took for several years.

Thats a beaut !!! Clean it up and fill those love taps with JB Weld and you have a rock solid canoe. Any canoe for $100 is a good deal.

The easy fix would be to sand smooth the "paint job" and treat it to a new spray job. ( HVLP )
But I wouldn't do that. I would strip all that crud off until you're back to bare aluminum.
With some work this canoe will be a keeper. Congrats on a good find.

Thank you for the info and good tips.

We finally are looking at decent weather here in Wisconsin, so I am excited to start cleaning this up. I picked it up last fall and have been hoping she floats.
I will strip it down, clean it and use the JB Weld for the small holes.

Thanks again!!

I'm pretty sure that's a Michicraft. The painter attachments at the peak of the stems are definitely not Grumman.

Back