• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Dehydrating times

Reaction score
Today at 11am I put ground venison and ground turkey in the dehydrator, now at 3:30 they appear done. No moisture left. Does 4.5 hours sound right?

All the stuff I dehydrate seems to take considerably less time than I have read it should.

Is there a reason I should continue on dehydrating even after there seems to be no moisture left in the item I am dehydrating?

I dry all my food in the winter and typically overnight 6-8 hours while sleeping. It's probably done before that. I know jerky takes less time than what the recipe says. I believe that the amount of cold air this winter means that unless you're humidifying the air inside, the ambient air is like a desiccant and helping speed the process. If your sure its dry there's no reason to continue. In the morning, I always check ground meat by crushing a good size piece on different trays to make sure it breaks down to powder consistency. I've also never noticed it being affected by drying too long, seems to rehydrate just the same. After four years of dehydrating I'm still alive.

Cheers,
Barry

Back