• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Dagger Dimension

Reaction score
Hi, All.

I'm considering purchasing a Royalex Dagger Dimension in really great shape, and I was hoping you might help me decide if I should pull the trigger. I know next to nothing about this boat.

I'm a former ww kayaker (some 20 years ago) and a current canoe tripper comfortable with swift through straightforward class II solo (class III we an experienced partner). My wife has less ww experience, but we're both thinking we'd like to up our ww game so we can embark on trips that involve class III. We've been kind of dreaming about a Prospector (maybe an Esquif, Wenonah or Nova Craft), but the opportunity to grab this Dagger Dimension just kind of fell in our laps. The concern is that, with it's not insignificant rocker, it's not a terribly versatile boat for longer trips that may involve class III rivers and lake travel. A Prospector seems a much better option for that kind of travel. The Dagger is also heavy. Having said that, the Dagger is here now and in our price range.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

You probably know the specs for the Dimension, if not I can list them, and the prose blather, from an old catalog.

Depending on outfitting (kneeling thwarts vs cane seats, ash gunwales and wood deck plates, etc) a Dimension could be a tank, “speced” up to 75lbs. And 5.5” of symmetrical rocker is considerable.

If you are looking to up your WW game to class III tripping it may be worth a shot. If it is priced low enough you might be able to buy it, try it and flip it at little or no loss.

You probably know the specs for the Dimension, if not I can list them, and the prose blather, from an old catalog.

Depending on outfitting (kneeling thwarts vs cane seats, ash gunwales and wood deck plates, etc) a Dimension could be a tank, “speced” up to 75lbs. And 5.5” of symmetrical rocker is considerable.

If you are looking to up your WW game to class III tripping it may be worth a shot. If it is priced low enough you might be able to buy it, try it and flip it at little or no loss.

Thanks, Mike. I do know the vitals on the boat (along with the prose blather).

The boat is bare, so lots of options for how to outfit it. I'm thinking it's a good deal for us, but having never paddled one...

Ret

Hi Brasenia,

Concerns on the Dimension would it's age (23 yrs), no warranty and a purely single dimension canoe designed for whitewater. Outfitting costs will increase the outlay. A 23 year hull fatigues even if wonderfully stored. Old Town Trippers of similar age show up time to time at a comparable price.

An ideal canoe if you're running tamden on the Dead, Kennebec or Penobscot. Wondered if it would be suitable for high water on the St. John?

A reduced price would add in outfitting the hull for tripping or purely whitewater paddling.

Wish you well!

Dirigo

Thanks, Mike. I do know the vitals on the boat (along with the prose blather).

The boat is bare, so lots of options for how to outfit it. I'm thinking it's a good deal for us, but having never paddled one...

Ret, I have never paddled the Dimension either, not my kind of canoe. The ones I’ve seen, IIRC, struck me as kind of odd; the midsection seemed nearly straight | |, not curved ( ).

I’m hoping Pblanc (Pete) will see this thread. Pete probably has paddled a Dimension and, as an older model WW paddler, has incredible insight about older model WW canoes.

The best (non-racing) tandem couple in our whitewater club in the 80's and 90's considered the Dimension their favorite whitewater tandem of the many they owned -- of which I recall their OT Tripper, Mad River ME, Blue Hole OCA, Blue Hole Starburst, and there were a couple of others I don't recall. However, I'd guess it's sluggish as a lake tripping canoe.

One of the best whitewater tandem trippers ever made, along with the Blue Hole Starburst mentioned by Glenn. I one I own was taken down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon (not by me) so needless to say it is very capable of handling Class III water.

My wife and I have paddled mine on Class I Ozark streams and it never felt abysmally slow in the pools. I don't know what type of Class III rapids you are planning for but I would rather give up a little speed on the flats to have a truly capable whitewater boat for the rapids.

One of the best whitewater tandem trippers ever made, along with the Blue Hole Starburst mentioned by Glenn. I one I own was taken down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon (not by me) so needless to say it is very capable of handling Class III water.

My wife and I have paddled mine on Class I Ozark streams and it never felt abysmally slow in the pools. I don't know what type of Class III rapids you are planning for but I would rather give up a little speed on the flats to have a truly capable whitewater boat for the rapids.

Thanks so much! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Back