• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Cutting Strips

Pete, if you go down a few posts on this link to my last build, there are pics of my setup for cutting strips. https://www.canoetripping.net/forum...uction/105054-light-weight-solo-tripper-build

The strong back pic shows exactly the question you have about those last bits... my skilsaw setup isn't there unfortunately, I pulled these from a second build

ACtC-3fxEdCyWh6zCI3Kf8OuZdFynnv3o-NpkjbD1ZX3EPsY5EaQ0CF_yrUKDaBfWrtyPSOUxaAaAuPbpgvV9lLV34JpgWL-Sw_5sLfTeu2V2hGeomZA2gVswzRqCkZ4WEa5bpBGo7K31zl0As95X-NC4sQb=w844-h1125-no?authuser=0.jpg

and pulled back to show it on the strongback

ACtC-3fNAVu0NVuOFueMC0Piwv_ibnexRzDR2dw825vSCAbheyCZRO3v5XPj6H0MCYH7qu8Lyq-T8edXp5Q_Gz4-CUswZzUG0t0CgJFwDhJzrhH0umILufzEJ-kaxVRhzdJ3vTtV2Vl0T7Bn9OhdDdlTs_iV=w844-h1125-no?authuser=0.jpg

I concur with Jim, that for cutting strips, there really is no contest between a big saw and the skilsaw, the skilsaw is just a better option for cutting strips. The addition of the simple guide makes the method pretty bomb proof and pretty much gets around any issue with the wood not being perfectly straight. The shorter guide just follows the curve and the strips are so thin that they just straighten out once cut.

Just my $.02

Brian

Hands down the Skilsaw is the best method !

First, uniform strips will save a lot of work in the sanding department.
A bandsaw requires pushing planks trough the saw. A 16' plank is no fun pushing ! Same thing with a tablesaw !

A Skilsaw in combination with your Strongback, simplifys that.

https://www.facebook.com/1413686178/videos/10218869416472467/

I haven't built a whole canoe, but I did re-gunwale a couple. Tried the table saw on the first one, wasn't too happy. Me and table saws don't like each other. Table saws take up a lot of room, and they love to fling pieces of wood back at you. I think mules are safer. Cutting long strips you must have a run out table for support, which requires even more room.
So I read right here, about Jim Dodd's simple Skill Saw way, and yes it is hands down the way to go for cutting rather long thin strips. So simple. Do it out in the driveway. No run out table needed. No fear of table saw kick back. I'm selling the table saw. Thank You Very Much!

Back