• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Custom printed maps

Alan Gage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having custom topo maps printed for their trips? Who do you use? I've been using Mytopo.com for the past few years and have been very happy with them. http://www.mytopo.com/

You can choose the map size (2'x3' is nice for tripping), scale size, orientation (horizontal/vertical), paper or waterproof, and best of all you can choose the exact boundaries of the map rather than being constrained by the coverage of standard 1:50,000 or 1:250,000 maps.

I bought 5 standard 1:250,000 maps to cover my upcoming trip and then, after using those to figure out my route, I went to mytopo and ordered smaller scale maps for specific areas. For areas that might require trickier route finding I got 1:50,000 and for the rest I went with 1:75,000. Changing the orientation to vertical for some of the maps allowed me get the most bang for my buck. I was able to get two routes (out and back) on the same maps even though I'll be traveling different rivers. Because of this it only took 5 of the higher resolution maps to cover my entire trip; although there were some areas I didn't bother printing because the 1:250,000 maps should be good enough for them. Pretty handy service to have.

Curious what everyone else is using. How many of you print your own maps?

Alan

I print my own. I download them from Canmatrix then cut them about with ArcMap to suit. I have a full size map printer in my office so can print up to 3ft wide by the length of a roll of paper in colour. (as long as the boss doesn't catch me!)

I have used mytopo before. The maps are good quality.

I print my own. I download them from Canmatrix then cut them about with ArcMap to suit. I have a full size map printer in my office so can print up to 3ft wide by the length of a roll of paper in colour. (as long as the boss doesn't catch me!)

Ohhh, that would be great fun! Can you print on waterproof material too?
I've seen people mention making and printing their own digital maps, and it would be a fun way to spend the winter, but without a large format printer it seems like the end product would leave a lot to desire. Surely there must be places out there where you can develop your own custom map, complete with annotations, and then send the file out to be printed. I think I remember that was an option from "Jeff's Topos." http://www.jeffstopos.com/

Alan

Last edited:
caltopo.com, you have to pay a subscription to be able to create anything more than a letter sized map though

I haven't been able to find large format paper that works with our inkjet. I have found it for a large format laser printer but they cost even more money.

There are many stores selling survey supplies that also have large format printing, or a sign place.

Check with your local Walmart photo department. They can print posters that are 20" by 30". If you want a larger map (60" by 80") that you can also use as a blanket they have three different types of fleese blankets. You can see examples online on www.walmart.com and look under photos.

Check with your local Walmart photo department. They can print posters that are 20" by 30". If you want a larger map (60" by 80") that you can also use as a blanket they have three different types of fleese blankets. You can see examples online on www.walmart.com and look under photos.

Hahaha! Nice multitasker.

I have been using Caltopo, but I have a wide carriage printer and a supply of 11 X 17" waterproof paper for it. With Caltopo, I download a .pdf of my maps and can print later. The subscription isn't that expensive and allows multiple sheets in one file. I generally try to stay with 1:24,000 and print multiple overlapping sheets. Another alternative is to take the .pdf file to a commercial printer and have the sheets printed. If the sheets are plain paper, I use a clear spray sealer on them. I have only used USGS maps in Caltopo, so I don't know how good their coverage is outside of the US.

I have only used USGS maps in Caltopo, so I don't know how good their coverage is outside of the US.

That's the problem I always have with Caltopo; they don't go far enough north for where I usually trip. The map stops around WCPP. Today I was playing with it a little and tried some of the different map sources but only one showed all of Canada and when I tried to zoom in past a certain point (not very far) it said data was not available.

Alan

Alan, I use Hillmap online map tool that has extremely detailed coverage for Canada, maybe too much detail. You can make maps and save them as an image to print later. Just hit the "print free map" button at the top of the page. There are directions on the dialog that pops up telling you how to save the big maps to your computer, then you can take them and have them printed somewhere. It takes a little bit of messing around at first to get used to the interface to get what you want.

Mark

I print my own maps as well, using the revisited 2013 USGS quads as base maps and then culling from as many sources as possible (including other maps, of course) to create a fairly comprehensive "guide" to wherever it is I'm going. I pull in free shape files downloaded from municipalities/states/government organizations and add what I want for the nature of the trip and then go smaller/larger scale depending on detail or space. Typically I find the USGS 1:24000 perfect. The advantage of this is of course the ability to continually add features to your own printed maps as you return through the years. The other advantage is that I work across a multiplicity of programs and can in the end upload all my projected coordinates (usually UTM metric coords which easily correspond with current USGS quads) into a simple handheld GPS and A) record new tracks and locations, B) find new places, C) easily go from represented space on paper to real world around me and back, D) keep a sort of spatial journal complete with time stamps and dates, and D) feed the map geek inside me with reckless abandon. I sort of do geek out on knowing where I am in geographical or historical or linguistic space. I comb through guide books and maps and transfer them to some legible, single source and to me, that's is a huge, enjoyable part of planning a trip.

View attachment Hpta0ARR9wakpXm_XwK5Onnfs3gI5qtdbVJrhgd7gKTo_zbsrQbwWIHoa6UGubqzCZWpINlT9eUdHtnX008JzBp2Y5QIkn1s1pwd

The thing I do NOT do well is print anything durable. I haven't really tried. (I've laminated a few sheets on trips but I really like having a paper copy to write on.) I typically scrawl all over my maps and try to keep them dry and by trip's end I've got a "field copy" I can barely discern. Right now I simply keep them in a map case and pull them out to study or take notes.

But then, I'm a land surveyor and I can't go anywhere without thinking about the representation of the space on paper (or vice versa).

Holy cow! Nice work. I'd love to do something like that but unfortunately I'm not that organized. It would make a great winter project but I know I'd keep putting it off and suddenly find myself a month away from the trip with too many other things to do. Either that or I'd make myself the perfect maps only to change tripping destinations at the last minute....kind of like this year. :rolleyes:

Alan

Back