• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Cronje Spray Covers and outfitting

G

The Cronje has an odd spray cover. For starters having heavy duty PVC coated material attached via snap rivets is a little different than the usual material attachment choices. The covers snap on easily, and fit snug enough, but there is no fabric stretch or attachment adjustment for above gunwale loads

P5010744 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The paddle pockets and shaft restraints are DIYed peculiar. That big, once blank, spray cover left no place to secure anything. I left the deck plates exposed for the painter bungees, and ease in getting to the carry handles, but wanted some place to put paddle and spare paddle. Somehow accessible for both bow and stern paddlers, so the blade pockets needed to be open ended sleeves for extraction in either direction

P5010747 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

And I wanted to be able to secure a map case.

P5010748 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

But the spray skirt tunnels on the two piece cover have an especially handy feature. The stern skirt is sewn in place.

P5010750 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

But the bow skirt is sewn onto an oval that Velcros around a 4 foot long opening in the cover. Wearing that skirt off there is easy access and egress for the bowman to hop in or out. Or be left off entirely when not needed for a less restrictive bow station.

P5010753 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P5010755 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The center of the bow seat is 6 feet back of stem, and at 17 feet long and 12.5 inches deep the Cronje is not too big for me to handle as a bow backwards solo. I can leave the stern, now bow backwards cover, on for splash protection and still have paddle and map case accessibility, a partial cover guise often employed on my solo canoes.

P5010757 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Afforded that big boy solo option, in a canoe with my preference for a symmetrical hull, shallow arch bottom and a bit of rocker, the Cronje was oddly outfitted beyond the spray covers.

It has the usual tandem use back bands, seat pads, knee bumpers and heel pads at bow and stern, with an adjustable foot brace for the stern paddler. None of that is odd for my comfort druthers.

P5010759 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That outfitting was installed for loaner use as a tandem. I do not paddle tandem. I wanted the same comfort outfitting available for bow backwards solo use. The pad eyes are positioned to work equally well for the back band facing in the opposite direction and the solo knee brace bumpers are built out a few inches to provide a comfortable leg spread.

P5010764 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The real outfitting oddity is that the Cronje has a second foot brace, located for bow backwards solo use. Yup, two foot braces. Either can be slid directly under a thwart, so packing wise having a second foot brace does not bother me.

P5010766 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I have not paddled it as a tandem since it was new in 2008, and it is a fine tandem, especially for a lighter weight pair. But it is a good load hauler as a bow backwards big boy solo, provided paddling from 2 feet back of center does not offend your sensibilities.

All the other usual outfitting touches. Webbing loops off machine screw shanks, thread protectors and Cooke Custom Sewing SS mini Drings on the snap rivet ends, Northwater double Drings and sculpted yoke

P5010768 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P5010770 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Dynel, graphite powder and Gflex skid plates.

P5010772 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Much as I want to get rid of one of the tandem canoes, maybe not that one.

Back