• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Cookware for fires

Reaction score
What's your fav cookware for cooking over a fire?

I've always used an MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove and non-stick GSI cookware, but I'm thinking about trying some fire cooking, either over an open campfire or maybe a twig stove. I read up a bit, sounds like stainless steel or titanium are preferred - aluminum can get too hot? Personally I'm not going to trip with cast iron (I usually portage at some point).

Is a bail a must-have feature? Sounds like most folks balance on rocks and logs (or irons of some kind) and don't bother with a tripod, but maybe a bail is useful for pulling a pot off the fire anyway? Kettles vs open pots - which is more versatile? I'm likely to start with one item - I usually trip solo or with one other person, so a big kit for a group isn't too appealing.

Thanks!

I like a bail, mostly for just lifting off the fire. I’m slowly switching over to titanium. That said I’m now in the middle of reconditioning some cold handle frying pans that were gifted to me. Here is my favorite boil water pot in aluminum and quite old. Wish someone would make one in titanium.
B0E9F382-BB3B-47DF-BAB9-B8D031FA1F41.jpeg
If you soap the bottom of the pot the soot mostly washes off.
Jim

The traditional choices are aluminum billy pots (with bails), and pressed-steel cold handle frying pans. They're definitely thinner than the nice stainless cookware I use at home on a stove, but durable, light, and get the job done.

Bens Backwoods is a good source of campfire cookware in the USA. North of 49 I have bought cookware from BushCraft Canada and Canadian Outdoor Equipment. Zebra billy pots in stainless steel are a great, last a lifetime option. The Pathfinder range are made of thinner stuff, lighter but it does dent. Toaks make several sizes of titanium pots that have bails. There is a neat little gizmo that lets you hang a stainless steel water bottle over a fire, it fits inside the neck of the bottle.
If I want to hang a pot I'll generally just create a cantilevered pole out over the fire, though when I'm using my firebox the pot has a nice safe place to sit anyway, with no chance of spilling.

Nothing wrong with aluminum cookwear over a fire. I have steel, CI, aluminum and Ti. All have seen the fire. I do have one set which is dedicated for stove use only however I am waiting for that one trip when I run out of fuel and put that pot on the fire. Will likely be a while since 99% of the time I use a fire. Only in fire ban areas do I use a stove.

Pathfinder 64 oz., Stainless Steel Bush pot

64B8D529-7B66-476E-8B03-FE38A1B4F45D.jpeg

Like others, I use a cold handle frying pan along with a stainless steel pot that has a heavy wire folding handle. The folding handle locks the lid in place for travel. I found two aluminuim plates/bowls (show here) at a tag sale that might be Boy Scout vintage, they fit snugly inside the ss pot along with a small dishwash soap bottle, a cut down fork and spoon, a scouring pad, a small pot gripper and bic lighter.
I only cook for myself and this has worked well for me. I boil water for tea and washing dishes in the pot, I cook rice or pasta in it too, and the cold handle is lightweight and great for fish, pancakes, or anything else you want to fry up over a fire.
cooking gear.jpg

Last edited:
Back