• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

converting to a Y stern

Reaction score
As I age I'm finding paddling in wind or currents progressively harder, and I've got balance issues that are slowly getting worse. I've been compensating on big lakes with a 2hp sidemount on a 16 Scott Echo, but it's getting hard to offset the weight.
Has anyone ever converted a conventional 'glass canoe to a Y stern? I don't want to just chop it off to make a square stern as it's my "loaner" and "pickup truck" too, and will still be paddled.

Do the right thing, join the club and buy one, lol. Here are a few listings I would be all over if I lived down south, especially the Langford.
I'd love to but I've neither got the funds or storage space right now, not to mention that a 4th boat would probably mean a divorce!

I have not done a conversion to a Y stern, so cannot give an opinion. But as to the difference between a side mount, and mounting an outboard to the centerline, I can.
Ran a side mount for several years, with only one involuntary dismount. Finally got a chance to buy a square stern, and haven't looked back. It's not a wide transom at all. It is a full flat transom with no Y shape at all. I can't measure it now, as its in the country, about an hour away, but the transom can't be more than 10"s, 12" at the most. Sort of a middle between a Y, and a normal wide square stern.

From a balance perspective, having the motor on the centerline makes all the difference. I paddle my square stern more than I expected to, as I use the motor as a back-up, more so than primary propulsion. Don't think I would enjoy paddling a wide transom. I realize the trade off in efficiency, with a transom rather than a traditional stem, while using a paddle. But as you stated, for wind or current, my little 2hp does great. And I have a small bit of security, knowing that if compromised on a solo trio, whether a broken bone, health issue, or whatever, that I could get to either cell phone coverage, or at best, an area where assistance could reach me. I turn 67 in a couple of weeks, and have realized that I am not as bullet proof as I once was. I still use my other canoes, but there are certain times that having that little 2hp, or a trolling motor (with a cut-down shaft) get the call. I do love the silence of electric for day trips and fishing.

I would think a small 6" transom would give you the ability to mount your 2hp kicker, with only a small trade off in paddling efficiency.
Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.
Best of luck with it.

Bill

This is up for sale in my town... if it was a 20’ I would get it!!

Attachments

• 7700D022-D296-472B-A83C-84D699920AE8.png
    7700D022-D296-472B-A83C-84D699920AE8.png
    299.5 KB · Views: 0
Back