• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Compression Dry Bag

Reaction score
Our old OR compression drybags wore out. How did we find this out? Of course after a monsoon and having no time to install the spray covers. Down sleeping bags

Fortunately we hung them from chickee rafters later and they dried quite quickly in the wind.

Always a wind in the Everglades.

There are several cracks in the inner liner of each compression dry sack which are probably not worth fixing.. I would need yards of waterproof tape.

The bags are at least 10 years old

Suggestions for replacement compression dry bags? We will stop at Camping Mecca on our way home.

PS. After a week in the Everglades, I have seen but ONE gator. Too windy too cold too wet.

SealLine Nimbus or SealLine Kodiak dry sacks.
These don't have the compression straps to get in the way or add extra weight.
However, they compress down nicely and then can be sealed.
The Kodiak has the purge valve to aid in this.
In my experience, these two are the best compromise in terms of weight and durability.
Made in the USA, high quality, well designed and have performed flawlessly.

Sea to Summit makes good ones. They have a one-way air vent thinger that squishes air out but doesn't let any water in. I have an OR one too but I pulled on the compression strap too hard and the stitching is giving away already (it's only a year old).

So far all are the wrong shape alas. Due to the shape of hatch openings I'm looking for the long cylindrical shape that is less than 8 inches in diameter. I've had the Sea to Summit ones that assume a drum shape round and fat The Kodisk Purge ones sometimes suck in air and expand during the warm day.
This is an issue if you have ever had the hilarity of a slightly expanded bag that won't come out of a kayak hatch and you are lying on the chickee four feet above tugging on it

Not an issue for a canoeist but we seldom take an open canoe ( we only have one sea canoe) on the ocean or Lake Superior. I'm trying not to gather a wardrobe of dry compression sacks!

Sounds like you're looking for something pretty small, but I love Watershed bags. I believe they've got a couple "kayak" tapered tube bag types that, while relatively expensive and perhaps still too big a-round for what you're looking for, allow you to fill or deflate via air tube or purge valve and . . . well, use them like air bags that hold gear and . . . well, they really are excellent bags. I believe their kayak bags are made more for sliding into a hull and less for squeezing through a hatch opening but still. I have never used their kayak bags. I've used the duffles for a while and then rather recently bought a "backpack" model (I'm a canoe tripper in training), and I love the more nylon-ish feel (as opposed to the PVC-esque material of your standard drybag) and their unbearable lightness of being and lack of "seams" and the fact that they don't fail even when your boating skills do.

So far all are the wrong shape alas. Due to the shape of hatch openings I'm looking for the long cylindrical shape that is less than 8 inches in diameter. I've had the Sea to Summit ones that assume a drum shape round and fat The Kodisk Purge ones sometimes suck in air and expand during the warm day.
This is an issue if you have ever had the hilarity of a slightly expanded bag that won't come out of a kayak hatch and you are lying on the chickee four feet above tugging on it

Not an issue for a canoeist but we seldom take an open canoe ( we only have one sea canoe) on the ocean or Lake Superior. I'm trying not to gather a wardrobe of dry compression sacks!

We have some (quite old) Seattle Sports compression dry bags and the smaller of them is close to your 8 inch max cylinder.

On the plus side the thick black material is as tough as any dry bag we own. I have never submerged them, but the purge valves have done fine in bilge water.

On the plus and minus side they have four external compression straps, so they can not expand much in the heat. The minus is that the ladder locks on the straps suck it for retrieval when the bag just barely slips through a hatch opening.

I’ve gone the other way; compression stuff bags inside a standard dry bag. We have a fair wardrobe of compression stuff bags in a variety of sizes. I like the ability to segregate something like my cold weather duds (long underwear, fleece, down vest, knit cap) into a single identifiable compression bag the size of a coffee can.

I looked at my most favored and functional compression stuff bags. They do not sport a manufacturer’s tag, but I think they were Sea to Summit, or maybe Surf to Summit (BMO purchase BTW). They are fairly heavy coated nylon, which adds another layer of water resistance, and I have compressed the bejeepers out of them without any strap, stitching or buckle failures (something I cannot say about some cheaper compression bags).

I do find it odd that the design of something as seemingly simple as compression straps, ladder locks and fastex buckles on a compression stuff bag can vary from functionally easy to Oh my gawd what a mess. The compression sack that came with my winter sleeping bag is a nightmare. Or was, I replaced it with one of the better designed S2S bags.

All of our compression dry bags have lengthwise/vertical compression straps with a “cap” end, which does not do much to compress the girth for hatch passage. We do have a couple of stuff bags with compression straps in the other orientation, around the girth, and those tend to fit better inside a tapered dry bag stuffed up in the stems.

When sausaged down those girth compression stuff bags to reduce down to more of a cylindrical shape. Does anyone make a compression dry bag with straps around the girth?

Maybe it is time to DIY some custom sized and shaped dry bags using Seattle Fabrics, and add a purge valve and compression straps.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/dry_bag.html

How do you size dry compression bags? Most are sized in liters and I'm not sure how that would compare to my sleeping bag not compressed.. anyone have any pointer on that? It's a 20 degree synthetic bag with 36oz fill. probably 8inches by 16 inches in it's non compressed stuff sack?

How do you size dry compression bags? Most are sized in liters and I'm not sure how that would compare to my sleeping bag not compressed.. anyone have any pointer on that? It's a 20 degree synthetic bag with 36oz fill. probably 8inches by 16 inches in it's non compressed stuff sack?

I’d look for a compression dry bag about that same 8x16 size, even if that meant a dimensions inquiry to an on-line source or a visit to a brick and mortar store.

It’s a compression bag, so it will squinch down considerably smaller, but having a size that you know is stuffable before compression will make getting the sleeping bag inside before compression a lot easier.

Some of our compression stuff bags (not dry bags) are a bit larger than need be, but they compact down just fine, and I have room for a pillowcase, sheet or other comfort item so all of my bedding is in one bag.

Again, I just use a variety of compression stuff bags inside a regular dry bag. I get much the same volume reduction and the compression stuff bags are water resistant for a second level of protection. I think those compression stuff bags are Sea to Summit. Those are by far the best compression stuff sacks I have found, and they do list the dimensions.

http://www.seatosummit.com/stuff-compression-sacks/

What we got at Campmor is OR's latest iteration of a compression dry sack. They used to number them. Now its in liters. I had no idea how big the old ones were but we had them with us so we dragged the stinking bags into the camping department and the rep there was willing to measure the stinky. So we found out it was 20 liter. It goes from 6.5 to 20 liter when expanded.

Good idea of just getting a compression sack and then throwing it in a dry sack.. perhaps with another holy must stay dry thing like the Exped air mat. Or in littler dry sack when alone and when it must get through that gddarn Valley hatch as in kkkkkayaking the Maine coast. ( that wont happen most likely ever again in an open canoe. It will in a decked craft)

Back