• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Cold weather handwear.

Reaction score
Yo Brooklyn! Went out paddling yesterday and was prepared for very cold weather. Only problem was my hands. Fingers really started to hurt. I'm using Glacial gloves, not sure of the brand. I've used them before without a problem but yesterday's single digits with the wind probably pushed them to their limits. Suggestions? Gloves, mitts? thanks.

Probably your hands sweated in the Glacier Gloves( Mine are waterproof so the water comes from me) I sometimes wear thin wool gloves under the GG.Wool insulates when damp.

David, and you wondered why I said you were crazy when you asked me if I wanted to go with you. Wind chill put the temperature in the single digits yesterday add in paddle drip and it was made for cold hands. I found the warmest paddling gloves I own are the Magic Marine gloves I picked up at the Dingy Shop. But like the Glacier gloves that I also own their weakness is on cold windy days when they get damp. I'd check out winter dingy sailing gloves like the rooster- aqua-pro-glove which claims to be windproof and designed for frostbite dingy sailing. Try googling "frostbite dingy gloves" or "winter sailing gloves" -- frostbite dingy sailers are nuts and on the water all winter with wet damp hands. -- Ray

It used to be that GG were like fishing gloves. Old models are sometimes better. My GG are like thick dishwashing gloves. I have looked at the GG website recently and see nothing like what I have.

Those Rooster gloves look very nice. My GG don't have fleece inners.

I just wear my lined leather Kincos and take an overmitt to put over them if they aren't enough. I wouldn't worry about getting paddling specific gloves, I would just keep my hands dry.

Canoe poggies, they are much warmer than gloves!! Of cours not as practical if you sit and switch....

They are hard to find these days, but Shawn Alexander @ Fall line canoe and bomber bags makes some great ones!!

For whitewater paddling in winter, when the water was 33 degrees and the air often colder, most of the canoeists in my day settled on a common solution: long, industrial strength rubber gloves worn over simple poly liner gloves. The rubber gloves are completely water and wind proof, and they can be tucked under the wrist gasket of a dry suit or the wrist closure of a paddling jacket. Or, they can be worn over the wrists of a regular jacket if it's not raining.

This combination was to most of us much better for tactile feel, flexibility and finger closing than any sort of thick neoprene rubber glove. You can vary the thickness of the underlying poly glove and take along a backup if it gets too sweaty in warmer weather.

Some kayakers have always preferred pogies.

common solution: long, industrial strength rubber gloves worn over simple poly liner gloves.

This combination was to most of us much better for tactile feel, flexibility and finger closing than any sort of thick neoprene rubber glove. You can vary the thickness of the underlying poly glove and take along a backup if it gets too sweaty in warmer weather.

Some kayakers have always preferred pogies.

I do not paddle any serious whitewater, especially not in winter. When tripping I am usually not out in bitter sub-freezing conditions, even if I can find open water. My “cold” may be near freezing, but with the accompaniment of rain or wind. Or both.

Yet I remain ungloved in all but the most extreme cold/windy weather. The loss of any amount of tactile feel on the paddle is too disconcerting. Thick neoprene gloves were the worst in that regard, nice and warm, with all the tactile feel of paddling with my hands stuffed inside a fresh from the oven Calzone (or is that a Stromboli?)

I keep gloves handy/dry in the boat off-season, put them on and take them off as needed. Mostly off, so some ease of glove donning and disengagement is important to me. If I have to wiggle, stretch and teeth pull my hands into them between paddle strokes that isn’t gonna work; I’ll be sideways before I get one glove back on. If I pull a glove inside out while taking it off I might as well stop and make camp.

I tried pogies, and even though I most often use a double blade, didn’t like them, despite providing a good bare-handed grasp on an indexed shaft.

My second favorite pair of winter paddling gloves are Sealskinz. Part of that is serendipity; they fit my hands well. Kinda like clothing or PFD’s, gloves have to fit correctly, and one hand size does not fit all.

The Sealskins are warm and waterproof and “breathable”, and not too hard to get on or off. If it is really cold/windy I will use them. But even “breathable” my hands are moist when I take the gloves off, which I know I will do as soon as the sun come out or the wind dies down, for a more natural feel on the paddle. That is finger chilling in the boat until my hands dry out, but I wear those around camp a lot where the breathable windproofiness is appreciated while not making paddle stokes.

https://www.sealskinz.com/US/why-sealskinz-waterproof-gloves?gclid=CJyZ8YXL1tICFZRXDQodbG0NDA

What has worked for best paddling-wise, for my peculiar anti-glove criteria, is a pair of (fairly thin) wool hunting gloves. Camo patterned, with some rubbery grip “pebbles” on the palms/fingers/thumbs. Not the warmest, and not windproof, but breathable, sweat free and easy on/off. I could hit a winter wingshot while wearing them, so the tactile feel on the paddle is as good any anything I have ever tried.

They were not crazy expensive and have held up well. Some hunting and fishing gear, especially boots and gloves and clothing, translate well to paddling applications, and there are a lot more hunters and fishermen than paddlers, so a lot more choices and opportunities for brick and mortar store test fit & sizing.

Beyond gloved hands the paddle itself makes a real difference. For my money, and there is some money involved, carbon shafts, especially those with some kind of weave texture grip, seem warmer. Or at least quicker to hand warm and are easier to control grasp when my fingers are gloved (or ungloved cold).

Completely unsupported by experimental evidence fiberglass shafts seem colder than carbon fiber. Wood shafts feel colder still, and stay colder in hand longer. And I doubledog dare you to stick your tongue to an aluminum shaft.

Calzone (or is that a Stromboli?)

There are regional variations, but a Stromboli is bannock with meat and/or cheese and sauce inside, whereas a Calzone is bannock with meat and/or cheese and no sauce inside.

It's best to wear gloves when eating these hot dishes.

I do not paddle any serious whitewater, especially not in winter. When tripping I am usually not out in bitter sub-freezing conditions, even if I can find open water. My “cold” may be near freezing, but with the accompaniment of rain or wind. Or both.

Yet I remain ungloved in all but the most extreme cold/windy weather. The loss of any amount of tactile feel on the paddle is too disconcerting. Thick neoprene gloves were the worst in that regard, nice and warm, with all the tactile feel of paddling with my hands stuffed inside a fresh from the oven Calzone (or is that a Stromboli?)

I keep gloves handy/dry in the boat off-season, put them on and take them off as needed. Mostly off, so some ease of glove donning and disengagement is important to me. If I have to wiggle, stretch and teeth pull my hands into them between paddle strokes that isn’t gonna work; I’ll be sideways before I get one glove back on. If I pull a glove inside out while taking it off I might as well stop and make camp.

I tried pogies, and even though I most often use a double blade, didn’t like them, despite providing a good bare-handed grasp on an indexed shaft.

My second favorite pair of winter paddling gloves are Sealskinz. Part of that is serendipity; they fit my hands well. Kinda like clothing or PFD’s, gloves have to fit correctly, and one hand size does not fit all.

The Sealskins are warm and waterproof and “breathable”, and not too hard to get on or off. If it is really cold/windy I will use them. But even “breathable” my hands are moist when I take the gloves off, which I know I will do as soon as the sun come out or the wind dies down, for a more natural feel on the paddle. That is finger chilling in the boat until my hands dry out, but I wear those around camp a lot where the breathable windproofiness is appreciated while not making paddle stokes.

https://www.sealskinz.com/US/why-sealskinz-waterproof-gloves?gclid=CJyZ8YXL1tICFZRXDQodbG0NDA

What has worked for best paddling-wise, for my peculiar anti-glove criteria, is a pair of (fairly thin) wool hunting gloves. Camo patterned, with some rubbery grip “pebbles” on the palms/fingers/thumbs. Not the warmest, and not windproof, but breathable, sweat free and easy on/off. I could hit a winter wingshot while wearing them, so the tactile feel on the paddle is as good any anything I have ever tried.

They were not crazy expensive and have held up well. Some hunting and fishing gear, especially boots and gloves and clothing, translate well to paddling applications, and there are a lot more hunters and fishermen than paddlers, so a lot more choices and opportunities for brick and mortar store test fit & sizing.

Beyond gloved hands the paddle itself makes a real difference. For my money, and there is some money involved, carbon shafts, especially those with some kind of weave texture grip, seem warmer. Or at least quicker to hand warm and are easier to control grasp when my fingers are gloved (or ungloved cold).

Completely unsupported by experimental evidence fiberglass shafts seem colder than carbon fiber. Wood shafts feel colder still, and stay colder in hand longer. And I doubledog dare you to stick your tongue to an aluminum shaft.

Mike, I was going to try to post a pic about the "doubledog dare..." but the pic is to large, need to figure it out and send.. I'm getting hungry reading about that good old Italian food.

It's a weird weather year. The rivers are at summer-low levels and it seems like we went a month without hitting the freezing mark. It was cold over the weekend, though--below freezing the entire day. The low river level argued for using a pole and I went down to the local river packing three types of gloves.

Glove 1 was the cotton-knit jobs with the nitrile coating on the palm and fingers. These provided good grip on the pole and were water resistant, but just didn't have enough insulation. Also, when I hit the deeper section I switched to paddle. I twist the paddle during the correction part of the stroke, and I don't like "grippy" gloves when paddling, because the paddle doesn't want to twist, so off came those gloves.

Glove 2 is one of those items that if I knew they'd be this good, I would have bought more. I picked up these gloves in a $10 bin at the big box hardware. The sign said they were waterproof, and I bought a pair on a whim. There is no brand name, just little tags that say "posi-therm," "waterproof" and "made in China." They are nylon-ish except the palm and fingers have some kind of stiffer plastic/fake leather (with dots). They are well insulated and are waterproof, and the dots are a hard material on which the paddle can easily rotate. Stick your hand right in the water. Waterproof. Which is good, except it's bad. The problem with these gloves is that moisture builds up on the inside of the glove. Even damp, they do a pretty good job of keeping my hands warm. Drying the gloves takes a least a whole day because they are wet inside, and the gloves are waterproof. I'd like to rotate about three pairs of these gloves during the day. So, I wish I could find some more of these gloves.

I changed gloves at the turn around point, donning glove 3, NRS toaster-mitts. These are waterproof, neoprene mittens. On cold days, I use a wood pole, and I often keep one end of the pole dry. With the toaster-mitts on, I said the heck with one end dry and was wind-milling the pole, meaning I had water constantly running down the pole to my hands. My hands were cold in no time, so I reverted to paddling with one end of the pole. The toaster-mitts were just okay. They were warm enough, but moisture accumulated on the inside of the mitts, and the when I paddled the paddle did not twist comfortably in my hand.

Of the three, I liked glove 2, the no-name, the best. Wish I had a few pairs of those. BTW, poling can be tough on gloves, I've chewed up a number of gloves, but glove 2 shows no signs of wear. Tough, warm, waterproof to a fault, and cheap--I wish I had a few more pairs of glove 2.

And that's the glove report from the Patuxent on 3/12.

Pogies are the warmest hand coverings I've used, but I don't paddle up in the White North. I do paddle in the teens (F. and only if something unusual is running or I'm on a trip somewhere), and I don't use the special canoe paddle T-grip pogie, just the normal kayak pogie velcroed over the T-grip. I use the NRS mambas, with the extra long sleeve, and they take some serious getting-used-to.

http://www.nrs.com/product/25031.02/nrs-mamba-pogies

(Actually, it doesn't look like NRS makes the extra long sleeve anymore. Sorry.) But pogies certainly have their drawbacks. Swimming, for one, leaves you in the water without gloves. Switching hands becomes not-easy. The paddle is somewhat fastened to your hands if you're falling over and handplanting on rocks and such... BUT, I can't paddle without my hands on the stick, so to speak. I feel like I can't tell where the blade is if I've got gloves on. And you can take your hands out of the lower pogie at any time if you want your hand free. Most of the time my hands get too warm in the NRS mamba and I find myself pulling them out to cool off. Seriously.

I see quite a few open boaters paddling with a pogie on the shaft and a glove on the T-grip. That seems reasonable to me as the t is so much easier to feel, with or without gloves, and your grip hand is going to stay much drier. But I can't do fingered gloves. They make me feel like I've just been to the dentist and the left side of my face is sagging. Like.

Back