• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Cod Pond Flow - Adirondacks - 4/2/16

Reaction score
I decided to take a day trip Saturday before the cold front moved in and it started snowing. Cod Pond Flow is a favorite because of its relative solitude and the chance for seeing wildlife.
When I arrived at the flow after the 1 mile carry I was met with sunshine and blue sky.

P4020124.JPG

It wasn’t long though before the 50% chance of rain made it’s presence known, but it never rained hard or for long and it was relatively warm.
As the afternoon progressed the wind picked up and even though I was on a relatively narrow stream, because of the large area of low lands surrounding it there was a fair amount of fetch, actually creating small rollers at times when the channel aligned with the wind.

P4020128.JPG

The sun and rain played hide and seek all day.

P4020132st.jpg

I turned around where the snowmobile bridge crossed, making for just over 9 total miles for the day, about 2.5 of which were carries.

P4020130.JPG

Wildlife sightings for the day included two beaver disturbed during their afternoon snooze on the bank, untold numbers of wildfowl, none of which were happy to see me, and a pair of bald eagles soaring and screeching far above.

P4020136.JPG

A nice day to be on the water.

P4020138panosm.jpg

codpondflow4_2_16.JPG

Great pics ( I like your boots). I liked your report, looked like a great day to be out.

Bob.

Nice TR, appreciated. into an are of the park that I don't know at all.

Are there any approved campsites that you have seen? Do you think that would be a good snowshoeing destination during a good winter?

There's an approved campsite at Cod Pond, but not a great one. Unfortunately, the hiking trails are snowmobile trails in the winter, so not such great snowshoeing.

Thanks, I am always looking for a new spot for winter trips too, one that has plowed out parking and a way in with my tobaggon - might save me a good hours drive from the Thruway.

Keith - Thanks for the trip report. I've not explored that area yet so thanks for giving me something to consider. Looks like a nice day trip to share with my wife or grandkids.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Keith,
Now you've got me interested too! Want to guess how much farther you could paddle upstream past that snowmoblie bridge?
From the satellite views, it seems like pretty soggy shores. Any other campsites besides the one on Cod Pond?
Oh, and I have the same boots as you...mine are 37 years old (sort of)

Well the fun trip is to do a through trip starting at Fish Ponds. That's a 2 mile carry to start and a couple of short ones and the 1 mile carry out. There are other campsites.)

These are my first real LLBeans. I've had knockoffs in the past. If these (and I) sort of last 37 years, I'll be happy!

Keith,
I sent my boots back to Bean after about 12 years of use, the bottoms were worn through. They replaced the bottoms at no cost. Then, after another 10 or 12 years, the tops failed. Again, I sent them back and the tops were replaced gratis. The bottoms are starting to again wear out, but I'll buy new this time. I can only accept so much generosity before I feel like too much of a leach!!
For early and late season paddling, I haven't found a better solution than those boots.

I checked out the maps for a Fish to Cod through trip, looks very interesting and the car shuttle is pretty short.
Thanks for the ideas!

Wow, never heard of it. I'll spend the rest of ny life and not explore all of that place!
Turtle

Thanks for all the comments folks.

For early and late season paddling, I haven't found a better solution than those boots.

I checked out the maps for a Fish to Cod through trip, looks very interesting and the car shuttle is pretty short.
Thanks for the ideas!

Agreed, they are very versatile footwear.

If you do decide to go into Fish Ponds don't try to follow the stream at the trail down to the lake. The first time I scouted this trip I made that mistake.

P5200372.JPG

Besides almost impenetrable alder, there were some beaver dams that were only 10 feet apart. I literally had to put the boat in the water, walk to the other end of it and take it out.

Continue on the trail past the stream and you will come to a campsite where it's much more comfortable to put in.

Back