• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Central New York Newbie

Reaction score
Hi all, I am from Central New York and don’t have a lot of miles under my belt. I am 59 and love to hunt and fish, or just be on the water. I have done some flat water canoeing and kayaking. I came across this site when doing a search on an upcoming trip my friend and I are planning. I have enjoyed reading so many of the posts and look forward to learning more about canoes and camping.

Otto - Welcome to the forum. I live down near Cooperstown but have been paddling in the Adirondacks longer than I'd like to admit. Feel free to ask questions and pick folk's brains for the information you're looking for. Not sure of your paddling style but if you're ever available for mid-week excursions, I'd be happy to have company.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

So....Otto from Syracuse, ehh? So I'm guessing that you're not a Duke fan? And that you bleed orange?

Until just over three years ago we had a small farm between Auburn and Skaneateles and mostly paddled the Finger Lakes region and the Adirondacks but neither as often as we would have wished. Where are you planning to go to?

Best regards to all,

Lance

Hi Lance, Yes I am a bit of an Orange fan! But the Otto reference was in honor of my Brittany “Otto” that I had. Good name for a dog, isn’t it!

What type of farm did you have? My family has a pretty good size vegetable and fruit farm in CNY. The farm life does not leave much time for paddling.

My friend and I are planning a trip this October to Lake Lila to canoe, camp, hunt and fish. I also have a cottage in Canada (off limits this year) with a lot of lakes nearby, so would like to do some exploring there too.

We had 87 acres with 71 tillable right next to Elderberry Pond, the organic farm and farm restaurant in Sennett. The place had a very large Victorian style house and two big Morton steel pole barns totaling over 10,000 SF. The house and buildings were what we were really interested in as our combined family had six kids and I wanted to get out from under shop rent for my construction and millwork business. We leased the fields and they were in no-till corn and soy so I say that we were farm owners, not farmers. We did have a small apple and pear orchard and a good sized patch of blackberries and black raspberries but that was easy to take care of in an almost hobby sort of way.

You'll really like Lake Lila. Others here have much more paddling experience in the Adirondacks than I do but my experience has been that if you go in on a Monday or Tuesday you'll likely have a better site selection than if you go in on a Thursday or Friday. If you are looking for trip specific advice I suspect that a thread with the title of your proposed destination would get a lot of well reasoned input.

Have a great weekend and welcome to the campfire.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Back