• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Cedarwood prospector?

Reaction score
Any info on this canoe? I have an opportunity to get this wood canvas canoe, excellent shape with shellac bottom, built off an original chestnut form. I would use it for day stuff around home and tripping with my kids. It is 16 foot, deep and looks to have 2 - 2 1/2 inches of rocker. Not a good solo empty, but I think it would be great family tandem. Anyone familiar with this canoe?

Bob.

Wood canvas or strip build? Strip build is imported by American Traders, though they do list canvas on their website Their boats tend to be heavy

http://amtraders.com/c-browse-sp.asphttp://amtraders.com/c-browse-sp.asp If you are looking at a canvas canoe that has been glassed too...run. Am traders doesn't do that though.

Also look here..this might be your future purchase

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?19-Cedarwood-Prospector

The OP bought the boat it seems..might be the one you are looking at.

Or is it from Bob Volock?

http://www.islandfallscanoe.com/restoration-repair.aspx

Becky Mason mentions a Cedarwood Canoe Co in New Brunswick

Last edited:
Thanks Yellowcanoe. This is from the company in New Brunswick, out of business in 2001. The serial number on the this boat is 2000. It is not an American Traders, and it is built off the original Chestnut form. The boat is heavy and would not be fun to port anywhere of any distance or difficulty. That said, I will likely take it out and test paddle it. I do not think a Prospector is a great option for casual solo paddling, but I think it could fill a niche for local lakes and occasional tripping when not going solo.

Bob.

Cedarwood canoes were made by Carl Jones, formerly with the Chestnut Canoe Co. in Frederickton, NB

When Chestnut closed up he acquired some of the building forms and made quite a few canoes off them.

The 16 foot Prospector is a wonderful canoe, fun to solo as it becomes very maneuverable when leaned over. For tandem tripping it can't be beat, it will carry as much load as you can fit in it. Weight should be around 75 pounds, not too much to portage.

I have used mine for both solo and tandem tripping, it's great.

SVL

Pathfinder,

Thanks fo the info ... I am even more interested intent canoe now! I can not wait to test paddle her.

Bob.

I think it would make a great solo tripping canoe. I solo a Pal which is 16' and about the same weight, like Pathfinder said, lean her over and you can cruise all day. If you have tame rivers nearby, it would be great to paddle with the kids or solo with that rocker.imho

A canoe of this pedigree is hard to find, hope you get it and use it like all Chestnuts where made to be used, out there giving their owners fond memories.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Chestnuts;)

Oh my, my daughter and I took the Prospector out for a test paddle today on a back water of the Wisconsin River, almost no current and some wind. We had no load, just our selves. The canoe is a real beauty, and the red paint with the honey colored wood, and the honey colored shellac on the bottom was breathtaking in the strong sunlight. It was a short port from the truck down a gravel road to the water. This huge canoe was not a problem on my shoulders.

We found the seats to be hung a bit high as the rounded bottom was tippy for my daughter and I paddling down stream. With a load I am sure it would shore up nicely. Still it was a lot of fun and my daughter really liked it. As a solo I had a ball! This boat heals up nicely and even with no load and in the wind I found it to be very responsive. I had it healed close to the rails, but not all the way, just enough to get a good vertical paddle stroke and get the stems out of the water. It handled nicely and I enjoyed the feeling of acceleration as the momentum of the boat grew. I need to make sure this boat is for me and will get used, not just sit in my shed. That said, man that is one awesome canoe, I want to test paddle it again real soon to be sure!

Bob

The canoe is a real beauty, and the red paint with the honey colored wood, and the honey colored shellac on the bottom was breathtaking in the strong sunlight.

Stick a fork in Bob and his bank account. They're both goners.

Good one Glenn. I am still thinking it over, I will require another test paddle to be sure. Man she is a sexy boat though!

Bob.

got one of these in my garage, haven't paddled it yet, the filler is 3 1/2 weeks into the cure...looks like it should paddle nice -- it's a lot less flat across the shallow-arch than my plastic prospector replica...i think i will like that

For the pure joy of paddling try a wood and canvas canoe. Sure they are heavy and need some maintenance, but what is your point? Mason didn't have any trouble paddling a Prospector everywhere solo. I think people of our generation have been trained to think that the old boats are too... much trouble. Aluminum canoes were all the rage when I was a kid, which replaced the old canvas boats. It was a move sideways, not really forward. There are times paddling the OT Guide 18 when it is rough that she creaks and growns like an old ship. I go out sometimes in the winter and just stare at the perfect lines of that boat. If you have more than one canoe, do not hesitate, and never look back. Life is too short not to have at least one old wood and canvas canoe.

You are playing our song there. I personally prefer the wood canvas even over my stipper. I even like Hurons. While they are not well constructed, they paddle like a dream. The point here is that that prospector is a quality design. In Ontario a boat like that, vintage model, will go for anywhere from $1500 to $3500. You might have to look but there are about 30 of various types on Kijiji right now. ( I look all the time) This is not a lot of money.

It will always be worth a good portion of that if kept in reasonable shape. Really, there is not much to lose here unless you pay substantially too much for it in the first place. Go for it, you only live once.

Christy

Back