• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Cedar canvas restoration

Reaction score
filedata/fetch?filedataid=17595 So this canoe came up locally. It’s a 16 foot prospector, and the seller notes that it needs new outwales and repair of a tear in the canvas. Based on the photos the rest looks to be in decent shape. Replacing the outwales seems pretty easy, and I think I can muddle my way through either repairing or replacing the canvas - I am up for a bit of learning project so long as it’s not a lost cause, or a deep deep money pit.

So I am pretty interested and will probably go have a look in the next day or two, but I have no idea what risks I might be taking on in such a restoration since I have no experience in cedar canvas. Aside from the obvious issues in the photos, any thoughts or advice on what else I should look for? Anything jump out from the photos that I am missing? Thanks all

PS I am not sure if the photos are coming through or not, or if they are too big to open - let me know if this is creating problems. Thx

filedata/fetch?filedataid=17596 photo17599.jpg photo17598.jpg photo17597.jpg photo17601.jpg

Attachments

• photo17600.jpg
    photo17600.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
from what I can see it looks like stems too...still not overly difficult if you have any woodworking skills. The canvas could be patched if you wanted to instead of a replacement but the stems would seem to rule that out. That is far from the worst case I have seen. Dive in.

Very fixable. New stems ends and an inwale end or two look like they will need to be scarfed in. Not a big deal. Worth the effort- really nice canoe.

Bob

I came across that when it was first posted for sale. I showed it to my (future) s-i-l the other evening. He'd just told me they had lost out on a refurbished outfitter rental. A real nice looking SR Quetico. With new and old canoes in shorter supply these days it becomes all the more tempting to grab what one may. This one definitely looks worthwhile. Best of luck Traveler.

Would have been a good project, but hard to communicate with the seller so I bailed. I should be focussing on my cedar strip build anyway, and stop getting distracted by Kijiji ads. Thanks all for your input.

I am currently a little overwhelmed by the amount of labor involved in my 1953 OT Guide. The boat in the photos seems like a great project. Outer gunwales are easy. The stem and the inners are a little more difficult.

Back