• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

carp surface b4 a storm?

Reaction score
Was out today canoeing and noticed the carp began to surface and just sit there. Then i heard thunder. Few minutes later a pretty bad storm hit. lots of lightning. I made it to shore until it was all over. Noticed then that the carp went back to the bottom.

So there a connection here? Do carp surface just before a storm? Or was it coincidence?

Never noticed that myself. Seems like they're always at the surface this time of year. Cottonwood seeds are falling on the water here and the carp love to slurp them up.

Good observations though. You'll have to pay attention and see if it's repeatable.

Alan

I seem to notice the carp at the surface the most, when the May fly hatch is over, and they suck up the dead, like vacuum cleaners ! Also when oxygen levels are low in the hot summer evenings.
In the Fall, when beaver drag corn stalks down to the river from unharvested fields, carp go crazy trying to suck the corn off the cobs !

Interesting critters ! I'll have to take note of how they react to weather changes !

Jim

Back