• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Carbon Straight

G

Before you flame me know that I own mostly wood paddles...

Anyone know where one might find a nice carbon fiber straight blade?

Yeah. I've checked some of those out.I have the Wenonah 10deg bent. It's a good blade. I don't much care for the straight version though. Anything else out there?

There is plenty out there Oak Orchard lists the Mitchell Surreal, the Grey Owl Raven,

http://oakorchardcanoe.com/canoepaddles.php

There are also straight shaft Zaverals.

http://www.zre.com/catalog/blackrecreationalcarbonfibercanoepaddlewgripofchoice-p-111.html

Look for the 0 degree options,

Blue Mountain Outfitters has a huge carbon fiber paddle selection.

Black Pearl by Bending Branches.

Full disclosure. I don't have any carbon straights. I do have one ZRE bent and its old and doing just fine.

So many links!!! I didn't need to see those. I've already been punishing my bank account. So many look worth trying.

Thanks. Half the ones Oak Orchard lists they don't have in stock at the store closest to me.

I think the Zaveral is the one I'd seen as was interested in. So many options though, don't even know if I'd like it either...

Thanks. Half the ones Oak Orchard lists they don't have in stock at the store closest to me.

I think the Zaveral is the one I'd seen as was interested in. So many options though, don't even know if I'd like it either...

I suggest not buying now but do attend the Western PA Solo Canoe event. Harold Deal will have several Zavs and likely others will bring some. Playing with others gear is a good way to try before you buy.

I suggest not buying now but do attend the Western PA Solo Canoe event. Harold Deal will have several Zavs and likely others will bring some. Playing with others gear is a good way to try before you buy.

That is a good idea. I should go anyway now that I have a solo boat (yes I did buy that NOS Peregrine and I'm lovin' it)... I'm sure I can learn a few new tricks by hanging around some old dogs :)

Might try to get my wife to go too. We're now thinking in the direction of a Spitfire 13 for her. Even a 30lb boat is tough for her to get up on her shoulders by herself... so maybe that spit with the high seat and a single blade might be the best compromise. We'll have to go up and have her try in the spring.

::Ha ha, Hanz, I hear you, this site is costing me a fair bit trying to keep up with the Jones's. ::

Memaquay,
Wait a minute!! We've been trying to keep up with you!

I have a ZRE straight shaft. You should be aware of two "unstraight" things about the current versions ZRE offers.

First, the carbon palm grip is asymmetrical. It's the same asymmetrical grip they put on their bent shaft paddles. (I apparently got the last symmetrical carbon grip ZRE had in old stock.) If you want a symmetrical grip, you could make one out of wood or have Brad Gillespie make one for you. Harold Deal palm rolls his ZRE straight with an asymmetrical palm grip, but he then always has to re-palm roll to get the grip in the correct direction. You can do this unconsciously after a while, I'm sure, but it also could be a distraction to avid palm rollers.

Second, as a result of the blade straightening process, the blade faces on the straight paddle are not centrally aligned with the axis of the shaft. One face of the blade is flush with the edge of the shaft; the other face is indented about 0.25" from the other side of the shaft. Some people don't like this because they claim it induces flutter. I don't see that as a problem myself, though I have found that I very slightly prefer the indented face as the power face.

Second, as a result of the blade straightening process, the blade faces on the straight paddle are not centrally aligned with the axis of the shaft. One face of the blade is flush with the edge of the shaft; the other face is indented about 0.25" from the other side of the shaft. Some people don't like this because they claim it induces flutter. I don't see that as a problem myself, though I have found that I very slightly prefer the indented face as the power face.

I believe I am the some people mentioned.
I have an older Zav straight with the blade centered on the shaft. I love that stick and use it anywhere I think I can keep it off the rocks. It does have the asymmetrical grip and I palm roll it all day without really noticing.
I've tried the newer Zav straight and found that a good strong stroke with the power face flush to the rear of the shaft resulted in extreme flutter. That is not an issue when the backface is flush to the front of the shaft. Since I prefer palm rolling I find the asymmetrical Zav straight unusable.

Your milage may vary.

I second what Tommy said about offset blade zre flutter on one side. I think I was there when he bought his old symetrical one. I wish mine were symitrical like that. I'm not crazy about how my zav feels in the water and also don't like the asemitrical grip. I may shorten it some more and use it to single blade a pacboat. By the way,you can buy an uncut shaft zav with the grip not attached and get it in just right length. Cut it a little and try it without gluing the grip on till your sure.
Turtle

I have tried to find a Grey owl straight carbon in a 60" length. Oak orchard has a 58" paddle with a T grip, but I would prefer a palm grip. I called Wenonah a while back and they said they had some un-cut Black Light straight paddles that would get me in the 58-59" range. I was wondering if I could put a Grew Owl palm grip on a Wenonah shaft, or maybe on a Werner Nantahala which I know I can get in a full 60+" length, thought quite a bit heavier and perhaps more durable.

Back