• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Car top carriers for Jeep

Reaction score
I just bought a 2017 Jeep Patriot. It has rails on top, but no crossbars. I need some advice/recommendations on crossbars and whatever else may be needed to carry my canoe on it. Thanks

The Yakima Timberline system fits your side rails. Then all you'll need is 4 yakima canoe gunwale brackets. Check their website, you plug in your vehicle and they show you what works.

I see the Patriots don't have full length side rails. I wouldn't carry a boat on only the side rail section, I would feel safer with support farther forward too.
I have been a fan of Thule stuff for the last 35 years...they have a rack that will fit your front section (gutterless roof mount) and also adapters for the side rails.

My Jeep is a bit different, my removable hardtop has gutters up front, and I drilled through my hardtop in the rear to mount some Tracker II feet. I mounted those feet at the same width as the feet on my Honda Element. That way I use one of my Element bars in the back, and one of my (many) gutter mount bars up front. It's a very sturdy arrangement.

Thule racks have become quite expensive over the years, but there is abundance of Thule stuff on the secondary market at good value. Check out CL or marketplace.

Here's a look at my Thule set up on my Jeep

View attachment Ka2dWOALVot_sp8l6pxhyqlEtKeSdBimNfQiaFG2KNSH2DcwvcrO3rWPvZsoEUIz7B_0UiN636K0IfGs8yO9vGgMPXfeOHkDQzPq

My canoe is narrow enough to slide between the existing rails. I do have foam canoe blocks. Would the roof be strong enough to just use my foam canoe blocks?

Back