• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Canoes

Reaction score
Here are the kids after their sometimes annual shower.

Attachments

• photo1625.JPG
    photo1625.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Now that's a bevy of beauties! Too bad they all have to wear the state's ugly tattoos.

Gorgeous! Are those some of what you've made yourself?

Can you share more details ?

How many memories are in that photo...

Thanks everyone !

I HATE putting those numbers on my strippers, especially when all of our surrounding states don't require it !
Iowa DNR tells me the state gets a kick back from the Coast Guard for every numbered water craft. I don't believe it, as every other state would be on that ! Especially Minnesota !

The one on the right is my first stripper. It took nine months to build. Started in 1991. Once you've learned to build, you just keep going trying to improve with each one.
Some people look at it as a lot of work, to me it's fun ! I look at Golf as a lot of work ! HA !

Thanks again everyone, and I would love to meet you all on the water, or building a canoe !

Jim

Very nice. Please introduce us to each one with some specifics.

Alan

Hi Jim, welcome to this campfire. I love your family. I can't pick out my favourite. Are there any "twins"? They all look set up as solos. Here's a question, is it permissible to use any font for the reg numbers you require? Is it possible to get just a little creative with them, or not? While I agree that they do detract a little from those beautiful strippers, my eyes are drawn to the rest of the boat. I see the numbers as just a peripheral detail. The real eye candy is the rest of the view.

I HATE putting those numbers on my strippers, especially when all of our surrounding states don't require it

In Wisconsin the numbers are on the registration stickers. I believe only non-motorized canoes are exempt from putting the numbers on - most likely because registration is optional.

Brad here in Iowa some of the DNR get nit picky about how the numbers are displayed. Example I had been told that the black numbers on my green canoe didn't have enough contrast to be read easily. It's not like I was paddling so fast that they didn't have time to read them.

Hi Hans
They are all built by me. I started in 1991, I'm really addicted to building. Although some look very similar, I rarely build without adjusting the design. I tend to build solos, as that's how I paddle most of the time. It's not always easy to get someone else to paddle with you. Solos solve that problem.
Hi Rippy
I see Alburnett is North of Cedar Rapids. It's a bit of a jaunt from here ! I know several Dragon boaters in the Cedar Rapids area. I used to stern those Dragoon boats, at George With Lake in Cedar Falls, and Robins Lake in Cedar Rapids. I even raced a time or two on the Cedar river in my younger day.

Jim

Jim, Five years ago I sold a cedar strip Prospector-type tandem to a canoe builder in Iowa. The boat had a 2-foot crack down the middle that I couldn't fix. Does that ring any bells?

Hi Phil

I reglassed such a boat for a friend, Steve Reedy. It was built with Polyester resin, and therefore relatively easy to remove the old glass.
Could this be the boat ?

Jim

I also bought a stripper at Midwest Mountaineerings auction. I cut it in half at the auction to haul home. I made two storage shelves from it.

Last edited:
Hi Alan

I'll just invite you down, and I will personally introduce you to all of them ! Especially when the water softens up ! I also have a couple more since that pic, a Kevlar that I finally finished this Winter. It's not pretty, but it is lighter.

No Title

Hi Phil

I reglassed such a boat for a friend, Steve Reedy. It was built with Polyester resin, and therefore relatively easy to remove the old glass.
Could this be the boat ?

Jim

I don't remember the name of the guy who bought it. The boat had a number of fit-and-finish problems, and the person I bought it from said it was made by Dave Fisher of Ontario Wooden Boat Works. I'd heard he made some very nice boats, so I figure it was made by one of his classes. It was 15'9" long by 37" across the gunwales. It had an unusual design, with the bottom strips parallel rather than with a football in the middle. A few pics attached....

Attachments

• photo1629.jpg
    photo1629.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1630.jpg
    photo1630.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1631.jpg
    photo1631.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo1632.jpg
    photo1632.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi Phil

No, that's not a boat that I've ever seen.
But a split down the middle would be repairable. 37" across, is a wide span! It would require some reinforcement such as extra layers of cloth to prevent oil canning big time.
The wood in the hull is basically a form, the real strength is in the fiberglass.

From your pics it looks like a nice canoe!
Jim

Yes, it was a nice boat - high volume, very seaworthy, and not too slow due to good hull design.
It was 37" across the gunwales. Subtracting gunwale width it was a touch under 36".
That crack would have been easy to repair, but the two sides of the crack had overlapped and I couldn't push the boat apart enough to get them to come back together. I could have taken it to someone with a boat-building shop but it was the fall and I knew my marriage wouldn't last through the winter and I'd be moving. It was one of three boats that were sold to lighten the load of "stuff" to deal with.

IMG_0284_zpsvvt39gbd.jpg
Here is a better pic.
Take note of the accent strips. the canoe on the right has Aspen for the light color. It's whiter than light cedar.

Jim

Last edited:
Some good lookin' kids you've got yourself there.

Do I see black bottoms on a couple of them in the middle or is that shadows

Alan

Sharp eye Alan !

I've done a few black bottoms, and it does help reduce abrasion.
Besides being ugly, you don't want to leave it belly up in the sun for a long time ! A good friend left his on top of his VW van for a month, one Summer, and it bubbled big time.

Now days I just add an extra layer of S-glass, on TOP of the main layer of 6oz E-glass.

Jim.

Sharp eye Alan !

Now days I just add an extra layer of S-glass, on TOP of the main layer of 6oz E-glass.

Jim.

Us Iowans but think alike, that's precisely what I'll be doing on my current build.

Alan

Back