• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Canoeing Focused Youth Camps in Temagami Region

Reaction score
Hello All:
I'm looking for recommendations for camps in the Temagami region that you may have attended or heard good things about? My 14 year old is interested in going to one and I would like him to have a chance to get in-depth canoe learning and tripping in. He's had a lot of typical summer camp experience and is looking to step up the canoeing adventure and challenge. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help: Rob Morgan

Thanks.
That helped confirm what I had been reading. I'll report back next summer if we manage to get him up there and let you know how it turned out.

Rob

Rob,

I linked to Keewaydin because that is only one with which I have even second hand experiences. We have seen Keewaydin trips while we were out, and I have been impressed.

I would not care to trip that traditionally, but kids who “get it” come back year after year for longer, more adventurous trips. That says something. As does 95% of their staff coming from Keewaydin campers; it must be a good culture to keep coming back year after year.

The other experience is more peculiar; an oddly large number of the folks in the paddlesport industry seem to have come up through Keewaydin. I’m not saying such a nurtured predilection is a good thing, but those Weewaydin-wayed folks seem happy enough and lead interesting lives.

I myself went to Camp Nimrod. Militaristic Camp Nimrod; Reveille & Taps flag raising (and precise folding), calisthenics, shooting at the range. Kitchen Patrol (don’t ask). Segregated Camp Nimrod, the last Whites-Only boys camp north of the Carolinas (don’t ask).

I already knew how to shoot, and received my only distinction for that, but wasn’t much interested in the rest of that crap, so I spend a lot of time in demerits assigned to the bad-boy cabin. Why they would have put us all together remains a mystery to me.

I can still fold a flag with honors, and will fold one no other way.

My own sons went to a couple of outdoors camps, but they got much more out of family trips throughout the year; Easter break, Christmas break, summer break we could travel and see much of the east coast, or Northwoods, and even on a three day weekend we could squeeze in a more local trip.

Er, sometimes that Monday holiday was often augmented by taking an extra school day off, for a 4 day trip. That didn’t seem to hurt their formal education, and neither son ever objected to an extra day off.

Their public school administration did a time or two, and I had to explain it to them.

I went to Keewaydin at about that age, which would be about 45 years ago. Just for one summer, and I regret not going back. Stick and ball sports got in the way, but the Keewaydin experience has stuck with me ever since. If your kid is interested I'd highly recommend it.

”A promise made is a debt unpaid”. R. W. Service…

I just realized that I never followed up on this thread. My oldest went to Keewaydin in 2019. Then, following two years of shut down, both boys went this past summer. One as part of a section that paddled in the Temagami region and the other who went to Keewaydin’s “outpost” in western Ontario north of Lake Superior. Both had amazing, wonderful experiences. I went up to the camp for endseason last week and got to watch my youngest paddle in from his third trip of the summer- a 21 day trip down the Sturgeon River. My older boy paddled in from a 38 day trip. He did a lot of river paddling but I’m not clear on the routes at this point.

Thanks to all who chimed in with thoughts. Life changing experiences for my boys. I’ll try to upload some photos without showing faces. Rob

Last edited:
We sent our Grandson to Wanapitei from the time he was eight, right through to 16. The kids learn solid tripping skills and the leaders and trips are amazing. Highly recommended.

(just realized that this is an old thread)

I have experience with Wanapitei too. Many visits over the years through friendships with staff. Delivered and picked up trippers across Ontario and Quebec.

A generally great bunch of confident, creative and enthusiastic folk. Most if not all trips are co-ed. Friends have kids just back from 10 day trips on the Dumoine and Ground Hog rivers. They are hoping to take a James Bay trip next year.

”A promise made is a debt unpaid”. R. W. Service…

I just realized that I never followed up on this thread. My oldest went to Keewaydin in 2019. Then, following two years of shut down, both boys went this past summer. One as part of a section that paddled in the Temagami region and the other who went to Keewaydin’s “outpost” in western Ontario north of Lake Superior. Both had amazing, wonderful experiences. I went up to the camp for endseason last week and got to watch my youngest paddle in from his third trip of the summer- a 21 day trip down the Sturgeon River. My older boy paddled in from a 38 day trip. He did a lot of river paddling but I’m not clear on the routes at this point.

Thanks to all who chimed in with thoughts. Life changing experiences for my boys. I’ll try to upload some photos without showing faces. Rob
Awesome.

Back