• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Canoe Themed Beer

Ommegang Hennepin Ale used to feature some nice canoe artwork on the bottle, but I think they've recently changed the art.

new-heller_660x660.png
the perfect beer.

Tell me I'm not the only one to swim on canoe trips. I've never been known to be a rotten egg...

Don't be the last one in.

Another Stout lover! There's not enough of them on the market. Porters too. Best Stout I ever had was called Epicurian Coffee and Fig Imperial Oatmeal Stout. Found a bottle in the liquor store one day and tried it. Went back the next day and bought them out of the last 7 they had. Never seen them again and internet searches tells me it is a Kiwi made beer not available to purchase through LCBO channels.

Stout-Porter lovers unite!! Ha. I found this one in all places - a Sobey's grocery store. Pretty impressive collection for a smallish fridge. There are a couple cherry Imperial stouts waiting patiently in my basement beer fridge. (Mostly eggs and produce in there, but calling it a beer fridge sounds better.) Not sure if I posted my current favourite, as it changes too often, but so far it is a chocolate milk stout called Kissed My Cow At Midnight. Drinking a few gave me no inclination whatsoever towards bovine smooching, but they were tasty. The beers not the cows. Haven't seen it on shelves since. At Bell City Brewery here in town they're just about to release another seasonal batch of Fuego-Habanero Chili Lager. I've been told hot chili peppers, in beer or otherwise, have no place in canoe tripping. Can't imagine why?
Red, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that Kiwi stout, sounds really good. Thanks for the heads up. Neustadt makes a 10W30 brown ale which I love. Can't diss the nutbrown ales, except... I used to like Newcastle, until I read that they were forced to remove the caramel colour 4-MEI under pressure from activists and consumers. I also read a comment saying the brewer should just cut out the colouring and instead draw water straight from the local source. Ouch. Ha.

Last edited:
Of course nut brown ales are yummy. Sleeping Giant brewery has a nice Stout and also a beer called Mr Canoehead. Lake of the Woods Brewery also has a delicious English Nut Brown Ale. Better than their Blueberry Ale in my opinion. I'm getting thirsty and it's only 1:00pm

Back