• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Canoe Stabilizers

Reaction score
Hi everyone! First time poster. I have been kayaking my whole life but am looking to get into Canoeing and am looking for some advice. I came across canoe stabilizers like the ones here (http://wingmanoutfitter.com/)and here (http://store.springcreek.com/Manufa...foam-EF-Complete-Package-for-Canoe-p1588.html). I figured these would be good for fishing, something I do a lot now out of my kayak, preventing me from flipping, and gives me some extra room. What is everyone’s opinions of these? Thanks for the help!

If you are going to be fishing from a small 26 inch wide solo might be a good idea. If you are fishing from a tandem..I wonder why you need them. Folks pole canoes (usually tandems) from standing and don't use outriggers. On a river these could actually snag and hurt you bad..

The group here may be less than enthusiastic. Most go on portage trips where carrying outriggers would be an issue.

Could you elaborate on whether you will be kneeling , standing or sitting?

Tipping over is a function of paddler skill and much less a function of gear normally.

Outriggers are used by disabled paddlers with balance issues. Usually they can make their own. But most (unless on a outrigger canoe) are clunky and add drag.

I agree with yellowcanoe, this group probably doesn't think much of them. I have fished out of various different canoes and the only time I ever flipped it was my partners fault. Might take you a while to feel comfortable in a canoe much like the few times I've used a kayak I felt uncomfortable. Just can't get used to sitting on the bottom!

NEYakker,

I agree with the above comments. If you don't already have a canoe, can you borrow or rent some? If fishing is your main thing, get a tandem. I bet after a day of tooling along a local lake or river you'll find it to be plenty stable without outriggers. I think they would seriously detract from the whole experience. I trip with my dog and she walks back and forth the full length in front of me, even over top of the packs and weighs near 90lbs. I feel plenty stable with her. I even fish with her walking around.

Cheers,
Barry

It's an urban legend that you can't stand in a canoe. I'd try without first, and if you don't feel comfortable then maybe try the spring creek stabilizer. That wingman one looks like a disaster waiting to happen with the blunt edge of a cooler hitting the water two feet out. If you are just sitting and casting from the canoe you'll be fine. Much more stable and comfortable than a kayak. You could also make that spring creek style with a closet pole and a pool noodle for a few bucks.

Edit: Whoah! $230 for that thing! Definitely make your own. Shove a dowel down a pool noodle. Cut it in half and then attach them to a closet rod. Bungee the whole contraption across the thwart.

Last edited:
^^What they said.

Of all the troubles I've had fishing from a canoe, none of it was due to stability problems.

Lack of (good) paddling technique? Check.
Lack of anchor/drift sock in breeze? Check.
Lack of sufficient hardware to unhook a fish? Check.
Stability? Try spincasting with 3" spoon on a medium stiff rod, casting directly to the side of the boat. (We were hunting Pike) Two guys, the heavier one on cushions to place him at gunwale height. (not recommended) The canoe was a stripper, rather... livelier... than many entry level production boats. No stability issues at all.

Many of the people that say canoes are not stable (those who have actually tried one) are either:
- Sitting too high (The black canoe in your first ad has its seats higher than I like) or
- Don't realize that a canoe can actually tilt rather far before its anywhere near trouble. (Those that I have known that fit in this group have also had some version of water anxiety)

Solo in a typical 16' X 32" canoe, a sitting adult can get a fair chunk of his upper body outboard before a gunwale goes under. (unless you deliberately rock back and forth, like pumping a swing.) If you have a partner on board, you will probably need his cooperation to manage it.

I use the spring creek stabilizers when taking our toddler along over stretches of big, cold water lakes. They are very well made and well worth the cost for what you get.

The beauty of them is that they retract and adjust length with several detent buttons. I kept them fully retracted against the gunwales, sort of like sponsons, and in that position they do not interfere in any way with paddling or the action of the tandem canoe, and did not seem to add much at all to the windage factor. When retracted they barely touch the tops of moderate waves, in my tandem. They would slow the canoe down in big waves and might cause a problem there.

My thought was that if something unforeseeable happened to tip us, or something crazy happened like running up on a submerged log and tipping, I could easily extend the stabilizer arms while swimming, and thus be able to quickly right the canoe and get the toddler back on board. They also helped my wife relax about it.

I have also used them with a motor on the canoe because I wanted to make sure the motor did not go in the drink when I was first getting used to it. I have found that to be unnecessary.

They are no substitute for experience, technique, and prudent judgment. In most circumstances, including fishing, I would think they would be more of a hindrance than a help.

Back