• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe signals to Bush Planes

Reaction score
In another discussion, someone asked about how to signal planes with your canoe. I looked through our documentation, because it is something we used to teach in the past. I found the page, although it is not for single canoes. The one thing to remember is that three of anything in the bush usually signals trouble.

Good to know these things so that we can make sure we do not mistakenly set up something that looks like we are signalling. Drying gear out on a rock in three piles may get an unneeded response.

Thanks for sharing the documentation, it was very helpful and informative

Thanks for sharing, very useful information. For the solo traveler I would go with 3 fires, but if not able to maintain 3 smoky fires, maybe 3 piles of brush or 3 logs layed out near a smoky fire.

Any better ideas for a solo or single canoe?

I always carry one of those "hunter orange" vests, the mess type weigh next to nothing in my pocket. I would hope that might help to find me from the air should I get separated from all my gear.

Last edited:
Robin-I love the hunter orange vest idea. I will be adding one to my kit.

Back in 68' I worked for my Uncle, and as luck would have it, he offered me a position in some small little south east asian country. One of my jobs was to peer out of a Huey and help locate friendly hikers, or Long Range Patrols. (lrrp's). This guys where masters of blending in and where almost invisible unless they wanted to be seen. They carried small hunter orange flags which they held up to be seen, and we would see them in the thickest of canopy. That's where I got the idea.

Great idea Robin. Coming from a military SAR background and being a sea kayaker as well as a canoeist (or is a canoer?) I carry a rescue streamer that can be deployed in the water as well as in the woods. I keep it in a pocket in my PFD along with a signal mirror and pencil flares. My personal theory is that if you don't have it on you, you don't have it. I like pockets!!!
http://www.tagpilotsupply.com/rescuestreamer6.aspx
Dave

Back