• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Canoe selection

Reaction score
I have been canoeing for years with rentals on my local River and am looking to purchase my first canoe. I recently purchased a pelican elite 70qt cooler and an wondering if anyone has had any trouble fitting one in their canoes. I wanted to avoid looking crazy by carrying my cooler into my local canoe dealers to see if it fits. Thanks in advance for any help.

Not to be a wise guy but my take on boat selection is that style of paddling, solo or double, destination, river or lakes, tripping or day use, budget, expertise, etc should drive your purchasing motions, and your gear then needs to fit what you buy...

That being said, I have had to fit stuff into tight spaces - make a cutout from cardboard of the side profile of your new cooler and take it with you to the dealer... it'll fit or not based on the width and shape.

But if are driven just by that reasoning, you stand to pass by some fine boats.

I'm very limited in selection from my local dealers my budget is less than $700 and I will be tandem with my wife. River use mainly tripping during summer and fall. I'm very green when it comes to making this selection and I bit off more than I can chew by purchasing a large cooler which has the width extremely close to the width of most canoes I have access to locally. I'm sorry if my question seems stupid I just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with using a large cooler.

If your budget is $700 or less you should be looking for a used boat because any new one in that price range will be garbage. I'd be VERY hesitant to buy any new canoe for less than $1000 or closer to $1500.

On the other hand there are plenty of good used boats in the $500 to $800 price range.

I think a used canoe could fit your needs. Perhaps even one of those rentals you've used in the past might come up for sale? Call them up and ask about their retired fleet canoes. Take along a tape measure with the cooler dimensions in your head. Easy enough to measure up and get a good look at condition of your potential first canoe.
Good luck and best wishes.

Not a stupid question at all. At your budget level, I would agree with the others here that a good used boat would give you a better buy and a better boat to expand your paddling horizons, your skills and your enjoyment of the entire experience. That is the exact path I took (too) many years ago.

As far as the cooler or other large bulky gear fitting or not, I am all about using right size props at work to illustrate points...cardboard cut to size could be your friend in the buying motion.

I have been canoeing for years with rentals on my local River and am looking to purchase my first canoe. I recently purchased a pelican elite 70qt cooler and an wondering if anyone has had any trouble fitting one in their canoes. I wanted to avoid looking crazy by carrying my cooler into my local canoe dealers to see if it fits. Thanks in advance for any help.

That does look like a nice cooler:

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/coolers/elite/70qt

At 36 inches wide the cooler will not fit widthwise across a lot of canoe models. I have a Mad River Revelation/Express 17 in the shop that is 36 inches wide.

Except the inwales subtract an inch on each side, so it is only 32 inches wide inside max. Add to that you will need to get your hands down to grasp the handles to get the cooler in and out. That is another couple inches on each side.

A little math work to see how wide the canoe would need to be to accommodate the cooler set sideways; 2 inches + 2 inches for the hands, 1 inch + 1 inch for the inwale width, 36 inches for the cooler = 42 inches wide.

Yoikes, that is a wide canoe.

The cooler would fit lengthwise between the yoke and thwart on some canoe models, but even on the Revelation the stern thwart would need to be moved back and inch or so (an easy peezy drill two new holes task).

I do not know where you are located, but the Revelation is for sale (Freeland MD, 30 minutes south of York PA, 30 minutes north of Baltimore)

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...s-aa/79524-2005-mad-river-freedom-17-for-sale

I will come down to $900, including the belly cover, motor mount and waterproof IQ storage bag. Or $800 for the canoe alone.

In either case, I will throw in a couple paddles and two PFDs to get you outfitted.

Thank you all for the help. I am going to contact my local rentals and see about if they are retiring any older canoes. I live in Joplin MO so that's a long ways from you Mike but thank you so much for the input that really helps.

I would think the Joplin vicinity Craigslists, out a hours drive in any direction, would turn up a suitable used canoe in short order. You may need to look often and contact quickly, but there are surely suitable used canoes available.

A couple of canoes that often appear used. And for good reason. And just NOPE the heck away from:

Pretty much any Coleman or Pelican, or any Mad River molded poly Adventure canoes. Yes, there is a reason there are so many for sale little used.

One higher quality, fairly ubiquitous used canoe that would probably work, a Royalex Mad River Explorer.

Scroll down to the Royalex Explorer on catalog page 9:

https://www.madrivercanoe.com/us/sit...%20Catalog.pdf

Yoke, no thwarts, gobs of lengthwise cooler room, and a decent all around hull. That can be paddled backward from the bow seat solo. Or Poled.

There are many other decent tandem designs, in Royalex and (heavier) poly and (lighter) composite materials. Rental canoes may be poly, and if you have a strong back there is nothing wrong with a well designed poly boat as a first canoe.

One good start for basic canoe design and material would be to pick up a Wenonah catalog. Yeah, their info is slanted towards their designs, but the front of the catalog is still a wonderful canoe primer.

Last edited:
I've used 36 inch wide coolers on several occasions, turn it sideways like Mike says! Also stated, it really isn't a big deal to move a thwart. I have a couple used canoes in my quiver as my budget also is pretty slim. Patience is key for finding a good deal on a used canoe. Keep renting until one pop's up. Heck.. toss 20 bucks in the jar every month you don't find one and before you know it, your budget will be a grand!
Jason

I just sold my Revelation a year ago or so for 700 and it did not have nearly as many nice little extras as Mike's does (especially the IQ gunnel system). It would be a great boat to start out with for a first canoe. It is heavy as heck though.

Back