• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Canoe paddles

I didn't take a pic but I used a bevel gage and copied the angle from my BB Special and transferred it to the shaft. Then I carefully cut on the line keeping the saw as square as I could. I had glued the blade together when I glued the shaft up so it was ready too. I used gorilla glue, the expanding foamy one to join the shaft and blade. I think I will be putting thickened epoxy on the outside as well later

IMG_20140209_082953_885.jpg

Wow!! You don't waste any time, do you!?
Are you planning to use any glass on the blade?
I'm especially curious to hear how stiff/light the shaft feels.
Once you shape it, that's going to look great!!

My wife hates it when I bury myself in the garage. I have it shaped, sanded, and I rubbed thickened epoxy into all of the gaps. I cut a piece of white oak into a "T" for a handle and laminated for on the front and back. The bottom of the 'T' will seat into the hollow shaft about 1&1/2". I forgot to get good pics of that part but here it is.

IMG_20140209_082940_445-picsay.jpg

IMG_20140209_130957_234.jpg

I got it all shaped up and sanded. Problem with this knotty fir is when planing down the blade, I created hole where the knots were. I tried filling the voids with wood glue. It mostly worked but now there are light spots that don't look very good. I'll be staining it dark to hide the holes.

I got it all shaped up and sanded. Problem with this knotty fir is when planing down the blade, I created hole where the knots were. I tried filling the voids with wood glue. It mostly worked but now there are light spots that don't look very good. I'll be staining it dark to hide the holes.

This is an opportunity to develop your own personal paddle paint job. Maybe some diagonal stripes against a solid background? The family coat of arms? A peace symbol from some other culture?

IMG_20140502_161626_104.jpg

After some "creative staining" and a couple of coats of captains varnish I think I have something I can live with. 48" and 14 & 1/2 ounces. Its balanced about 2" on the shaft side.

Thanks

Its light in hand too. I tried it out this morning at my local hole. All went well I am pleased. Now for my next one......:)

No Title

I have made a few..

All out of pine so far whilst a explore shapes to find what I like the most.
Algonquin
Beaver tail
Otter tail

Attachments

• photo1014.JPG
    photo1014.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 0
I have built a couple of paddles. A friend of mine is a wood worker and he made it real easy by presenting me with some glued up blanks. My favorite has a white ash stringer for the shaft with Honduras mahogany and walnut. It is not as light as some paddles, but extremely strong and has worked well for river paddling. It has been lost and recovered numerous times. I have used it as a cutting board and passed stuff around with the handy handle. It is one of my favorite possessions.

I don't have a pic of the beer can passer paddle though... I will have to remember to get a photo next time!

Scroll down to towards the bottom of this link and you’ll find a peculiar “Canadian style” double blade made from two hockey sticks. That odddity was hidden amongst the racks of paddles at Blue Mountain Outfitters to be discovered when someone brought it up to the counter and ask "WTF?"

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/fun.html

So, you want a custom drink passer paddle?

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/Pdf_files/news_2013_spring.pdf

That freebie stick was the most horribly warped, bent and broken blade Feathercraft imaginable. It was twisted in all three dimensions, and maybe the fourth.

I Dr. Seuss shaped the busted the blades edges, hole-sawed them to accept a beer cup and shot glass (and routed and sanded and varnished them…it was as good a job as I’ve done on a rebuilt padlde ) and again hid that stick it in BMO’s paddle rack, with a tag reading “TMI Melt Down Semi-Bent Special

TMI being Three Mile Island. Price upon request.

BTW – If anyone is bored or has canoe-centric time to kill BMO’s newsletter archives and stories are worth wandering about in.

http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/Pdf_files/news_2013_spring.pdf

That freebie stick was the most horribly warped, bent and broken blade Feathercraft imaginable. It was twisted in all three dimensions, and maybe the fourth.

I Dr. Seuss shaped the busted the blades edges, hole-sawed them to accept a beer cup and shot glass (and routed and sanded and varnished them…it was as good a job as I’ve done on a rebuilt padlde ) and again hid that stick it in BMO’s paddle rack, with a tag reading “TMI Melt Down Semi-Bent Special”

TMI being Three Mile Island. Price upon request.

BTW – If anyone is bored or has canoe-centric time to kill BMO’s newsletter archives and stories are worth wandering about in.

Now THAT is a great idea!

I am going to borrow that if you don't mind.

Back