• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canoe/hunt videos

Where are the deer? I would lose enthusiasm quickly if I wasn't seeing them every day and move to a different area.

Good for you, look like a great trip!! That is the way we do our moose hunt every year, some time on lakes, some time on rivers but always on the water and with canoes, wall tent, wood stove.... That's the best way if you ask me!!

As for not seeing game, one year I spend over 30 days going after moose... But the freezer stayed empty... It wasn't the case this year and it took only 4 days!

One day I will have a w/c canoe....

Yes ppIne, ADK deer are hard to come by, but in all honesty, I'm hunting the first week of the season, which is the last week of October, more for my comfort and security. It's a 12 mile paddle in, I'm solo and 66 years old. Right now is the time to be tracking big ADK bucks through some beautiful wild country in snow, but, those days are behind me.

So I go out, sit in the beautiful mature wilderness with 30" hardwoods, no cut stumps, never saw a human footprint, it's all good. Camped for 5 days, ate good, enjoyed the experience, just wanted to share it.

Thanks Canotrouge, glad to hear you have a full freezer. My son in law got an 8pt yesterday, my son got a 8 pt day before, and his twin brother got a 6pt today....lots of venison here, me I'm still trying.

Very nice! I really like the shots at 1.48 and again at 2.28 on part 2. Nice way to capture the moment as you paddle by!

"Not a light weight camper" total understatement but you do live in style while tripping, points for you! I am going to have a short trip with everything with, just to see how good life can be with a full on base camp setup! Should be fun! Lol

Nice videos. I'm happy to see your enjoying yourself. I was able to recognize a few of the spots in the videos.

Thanks for posting them and sharing your experience.

Thanks Robin! I enjoyed those videos. That cot looks comfortable. I took a two night trip with Jim last week and decided after the first night that I'm done sleeping on the ground and as soon as I find a cot that suits me it's mine.
Bringing an Adirondack Buck home on a trip like that is just icing on the cake. Nice trip Robin,

Alan,
I apologize for giving you a hard time. Sometimes deer are not what we are hunting for. The large deer with antlers around here are always at the top of the steep mountain ranges. I am not as adept at climbing them as I used to be at 64 after a broken femur. Hunting still has a certain appeal. It is a primal sport and hard to explain to non-hunters. I like your style of traveling. Now that I know that deer are not necessarily what you are hunting for, I will be awaiting your next excellent video.

The videos are awesome Robin. Made me want to toss the boat on the car and head off. Wall tents, wood stoves, and winchesters ( or Marlin ) ...you can't go wrong. I may have to revisit this all winter.

Christy

The videos are awesome Robin. Made me want to toss the boat on the car and head off. Wall tents, wood stoves, and winchesters ( or Marlin ) ...you can't go wrong. I may have to revisit this all winter.

Christy
I'm kicking around an idea to head up the Pickle Lake Road in spring with wall tent/wood stove and canoe, maybe find a big lake with a single portage to another big lake and spend a couple of weeks on the lake, just fishing and camping, and staying warm by the stove. Just a dream, but it's a long winter and we need to dream.

That looks like a pretty beefy cart you used, Robin. Were you carrying that all the time or did you stash it at the upper dam somewhere?
Dave

Wonderful set of videos, Robin! You look perfectly content in your element. Looking forward to more of your tripping vids next season.

"I've heard they make other types of paddles"...classic line

You stuck on Pickle Lake area?

No, Just saw where Quinn mentioned some guy lived/camped on a big lake up off the Pickle Lake Road and it caught my fancy. I like driving gravel logging roads, but really enjoy big lakes that have interesting ports to smaller lakes with little motor boat traffic.

I don't want to go to the secret Memaguay "well" too often, so I'm hesitant to ask for tips on any really cool "unknown" lakes in your area.

Thanks Seeker, the weight did add a whole lotta comfort.

Hey Dave, yes the cart can haul alot, I even have a board for it to haul a deer down a logging road here at home. Yes I did stash it around the dam, no one was around so I locked it to a tree in the woods down a gated road, then used a branch to cover my tracks on the road like the old time cowboys did....haha

Wonderful set of videos, Robin! You look perfectly content in your element. Looking forward to more of your tripping vids next season.

"I've heard they make other types of paddles"...classic line

Ha, You noticed that line...I edited out a few more in the interest of keeping things civil around here, Thank You

I saw your videos on youtube a year or so ago, didn't realize at the time you live just up the road from me. I too paddle the Adks quite a bit, I have a camp up by the SRCA. About my favorite thing to do is a camping, paddling fishing trip up in the area.

Great filming, great gear, great camp. I'm sure a lot of planning goes into your trips, and you are rewarded with an experience that simply can't be matched.

If you do a trip like that just to camp out, your some kind of degenerate , anti-social loner. On the other hand if the same trip is labeled as a hunting or fishing expedition, or a quest for the greater knowledge, then it is a most worthy venture, (in the eyes of the masses).. For the more enlightened it IS the reward.

Thanks for sharing, we all can live vicariously through your videos.

Back